1987 C10 5.7 TBI check engine light on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murdrd87

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
I have a 1987 C10 TBI 350, I have recently changed the Intake manifold from stock to a Holley Projection Intake. Put everything on and cranked it up and everything was fine, checked timing the way that your supposed to do. Everytime you crank it, it would turn right over and run fine. A couple days ago i removed the stock coil and replaced it with a MSD Streetfire Ignition coil, i did not remove the battery cables when i swapped the coils, but after i replaced the ignition coils, i cranked it and it fired right up. Driving down the road today, i was cruising and the truck just shuts off and throws a check engine light on. I am getting good air and and have great fuel pressure,on the fuel pressure guage it shows pressure when you turn to crank the truck, but when you go to crank the truck, it just dosent fire. Could it be that ignition coil. And how can you go about checking what code the engine is throwing up. Someone said i could take a paper clip and plug it under the dash in the computer. Any help is appreciated

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
1. Ground terminals A and B (see diagram below) with the ignition "ON" and engine not running. The system will enter the diagnostic mode. In this mode, the computer will display a Code 12, three consecutive times, by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" or light. A Code 12 consists of one flash, a short pause, then two flashes in rapid succession. 2. After Code 12 is displayed, any stored trouble codes will be displayed by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" light. All codes are displayed 3 times each then a code 12 will repeat. In the diagnostic mode, the computer will also energize all computer controlled relays and solenoids

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/read-gm-2-digit-obd-codes-free.php

Last edited:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum Brandon.

Sorry, I didn't notice you are not a new menber.:suicide: Welcome anyway.:Big Laugh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69