1987 Bronco 2 project?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've seen a couple that were pretty capable off road rigs. They grabbed the suspension and axles off of whatever the factory offroad package that were on the rangers, a set of little swampers, and they'd go through some ****. A good option if you want something jeep sized, but don't want to be associated with the mall crawler crowd.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I actually think they’re squared off lines hold truer to the original (66-77?) bronco body style than the bloated 80s full size bronco.

I think it could be a fun little wheeler, but unless funds are infinite; that’s money you can spend on something you really like.

I’ll admit, the original bronco is on my bucket list.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Another for motivation or discouragement.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Wow

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Got it home safely :banana-mario:

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
2 more pictures, only missing the radiator and battery:)

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ugly and dirty as hell but looks solid

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Needs a good power wash for sure, but I gotta hand it to ya, it does look straight and solid. No rust or dents anywhere I can see. Would make a good little rock crawling rig if you beefed it up and banged it around in the woods.

I've always wondered how those stupid quarter windows that wrap around to the roof don't smash the first time it hails or a twig falls on the roof. I feel like I would hate those trucks so much less if it weren't for those windows. Other than that it's like a little ranger equivelent of the 80s S10 Blazer, not the worst thing in the world except those windows. just be sure to slow down to about 7mph if you plan on turning the steering wheel more than 3 degrees to avoid a rollover

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I can wash the dirt off but not sure what to do about the ugly
Not a lot you can do, you made your bed now sleep in it!

(just ******* with you, it ain't that bad)

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I was kind of hoping it would fall off the trailer on the way home, no we will see someone is looking for a vehicle like this.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Grab a 3.0 60 degree V6 out of some newer RWD Ford car and start there. IIRC Ford nerfed the power of their 60 degree V6 in trucks, just like GM did.

Ooooorrrrrrrr. If you wanna really go wild, a Taurus SHO V8. The upper intake flips around with some minor modifications and the bellhousing pattern matches up to Ranger transmissions. Google Taurus SHO V8 RWD conversion.

If you have cubic yards of cash to spend and want to carry on the "tradition" of cramming Chevy engines into Fords, GM performance might still sell those 60 3.4L degree V6 aluminum blocks that're universal for RWD and FWD, with starter mounts on both sides and both RWD and FWD engine mount points machined and threaded. They may also have their "off road use only" 3.4L crate engines, minus intake and some other bits you're supposed to swap over from any other 60 degree V6 GM engine. Fab a custom intake for one or two 3bbl inline Webers, eh?

If I had the beeeeg bucks I'd find a 1987 or 1988 Cadillac Cimarron with as low miles as possible. Then I'd build up a 3.4L on that aluminum block and swap in a TH440 transmission. Added to that I'd figure out how to transplant the rear drive from a Pontiac STE, which for some reason never was available with overdrive, just 3 speed auto. I'd call it the "Simmer-On". Would be such a sleeper with lotsa power and all wheel drive.

I used to have a 1986 with the 2.8 and I'm pretty sure its rated 130HP was a lie of the under-sized sort because it would scoot. Nice car, 26MPG despite not having overdrive. White with cranberry interior so of course I called it the Micro PimpMobile.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude. I know where one of those is. The owner lives near a big street and it's easy to spot that truck slumped over the oil stain it's hatching.

Sure the full size were oaf-ish but FFS they has V8! What's in that deal? 2.9 or? 2.8? Mazda or Mitsubishi transmission?

But I think your little truck looks kinda cool.. There's a lifted Ranger not far from me but i've never seen it run. Good luck with your new toy! :waytogo:

Slap a same year 5.0 in it and call me in the morning. You know where's a kit!

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Grab a 3.0 60 degree V6 out of some newer RWD Ford car and start there. IIRC Ford nerfed the power of their 60 degree V6 in trucks, just like GM did.

Ooooorrrrrrrr. If you wanna really go wild, a Taurus SHO V8. The upper intake flips around with some minor modifications and the bellhousing pattern matches up to Ranger transmissions. Google Taurus SHO V8 RWD conversion.

If you have cubic yards of cash to spend and want to carry on the "tradition" of cramming Chevy engines into Fords, GM performance might still sell those 60 3.4L degree V6 aluminum blocks that're universal for RWD and FWD, with starter mounts on both sides and both RWD and FWD engine mount points machined and threaded. They may also have their "off road use only" 3.4L crate engines, minus intake and some other bits you're supposed to swap over from any other 60 degree V6 GM engine. Fab a custom intake for one or two 3bbl inline Webers, eh?

If I had the beeeeg bucks I'd find a 1987 or 1988 Cadillac Cimarron with as low miles as possible. Then I'd build up a 3.4L on that aluminum block and swap in a TH440 transmission. Added to that I'd figure out how to transplant the rear drive from a Pontiac STE, which for some reason never was available with overdrive, just 3 speed auto. I'd call it the "Simmer-On". Would be such a sleeper with lotsa power and all wheel drive.

I used to have a 1986 with the 2.8 and I'm pretty sure its rated 130HP was a lie of the under-sized sort because it would scoot. Nice car, 26MPG despite not having overdrive. White with cranberry interior so of course I called it the Micro PimpMobile.

Maybe the 3.0 or 4.0 from the late 90s rangers but no way in hell would I tell anyone to swap in a gm 3.4, he would be better off using the 3.8 from the 96+ camaro/firebird as they were 200 hp and had better aftermarket support. Best yet might be to find a ecoboost v6 or the turbo 4 from the stang depending what you want to do with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave