1986 Upper Pinstripe Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Seems there is some real variability in the placement of these with respect to the lines on the front fender. And some just look totally "off".
Even looking at the factory brochure, there was a big difference between 2 different trucks as far as how it lines up on the front 1/3 or so of the fender.
Looking for opinions here. The way the new stripes are molded ( I have them, pic is from the website), it appears that the stripe "follows" the "valley" or bottom of the curve in the upper part of the fender, with a very pronounced curve.
"Most" trucks, the ones that don't just look completely wrong, seem to not curve as much, factory brochure included (but the 2 pics in there are probably an inch different, lol)
First pic is how I have it laid out currently. Follows a straight line forward from the door for over half the length of the fender, parallel to the upper body line, then starts following the line of the low part of the curve, which also drops with the top of fender line. Near the front, that curve warps down to meet the body line and stripe follows that and the drop in the top of fender, basically equally.
Second pic is how the truck looked previous, each side was different in height refernece but similar in the curve down at the front. Not near as pronounced as I hav eit and not following the line of that valley in the fender.
Third pic is the stripes as molded, the ones I have are the same and they seem much closer to what I've laid out with a more pronounced dip at the front part of the fender.
Opinions?
This thing is getting the rest of the paint on it this weekend and the tape line needs to be within less than 3/8" of where the stripe is going, to cover it, so no major changes after paint.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

"My" line and the stripe in the pic are 1/2" or better "lower", so more curve, than what was on the truck before and honestly more than I see in most pics, including the brochure.
I've been staring at this too long...
Think I either leave it as I have it laid out, or raise it up a half inch at the front of the fender to match those marks that you can see above the tape line, at the very front.
First world decisions...lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I may have answered my own question now looking at all 3 pics at the same time.
My upper marks above the tape "follow" centered between the bottom of the curve in the fender and the top of fender line.
I move it down, following a set distance from that curve dying into the body line.
The pinstripe kit looks like it follows the top of fender line, not the dip in the curve at the front.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Here's a couple shots of my 90, same 2 tone as your truck.

If you'd like, I could certainly measure the height of my stripes on my 89 2 tone burb and text my results / pics to you.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I'm totally cracked out today man, i apologize. I'm pretty sleepy and busy at the same time

I just realized yours curves downward at the front of the fender and it sits a bit higher...... disregard lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like this

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm totally cracked out today man, i apologize. I'm pretty sleepy and busy at the same time

I just realized yours curves downward at the front of the fender and it sits a bit higher...... disregard lol
Appreciate it, no worries. GM had many versions, including several different 2 tone schemes. The late model squarebodys 88-91, like the burbs and blazers, changed again to what yours looks like.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive

"My" line and the stripe in the pic are 1/2" or better "lower", so more curve, than what was on the truck before and honestly more than I see in most pics, including the brochure.
I've been staring at this too long...
Think I either leave it as I have it laid out, or raise it up a half inch at the front of the fender to match those marks that you can see above the tape line, at the very front.
First world decisions...lol
I a currently going through the same thing, just a few weeks behind you. Mine was a solid truck so I don't have anything to go from other than pictures on line.

I am curious where did you get your stripe kit from?

Thanks

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I a currently going through the same thing, just a few weeks behind you. Mine was a solid truck so I don't have anything to go from other than pictures on line.

I am curious where did you get your stripe kit from?

Thanks
Holley, of all places. Few bucks cheaper than the couple graphics outfits that advertise them. Summit has them too I saw.
I've opened the package, they appear to be thick, quality material and the turn down portion at the front of the fender tapers to a narrower width, just like original).
After taking a crap load of pictures and measurements before stripping the paint off, the center stripe 2 tone, best fit from all my measurements (truck wasn't consistent) and correlating with the bottom trim centered on the front marker light and back corners under the tail lights is this:
Upper pinstripe = 5-1/8" up from the body line, everywhere except the front half of the hood where it starts to follow the hood line down. The full pinstripe clears just under the door handle like this. (from pics, I could justify a bit lower, maybe 1/4" lower, but not so much that it isn't completely hidden by the trapezoid shaped side mirror covers if you have standard mirrors)
Center of bottom trim = 11'' below the body line, which you can verify by it being centered around the corner under the tail lights.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Holley, of all places. Few bucks cheaper than the couple graphics outfits that advertise them. Summit has them too I saw.
I've opened the package, they appear to be thick, quality material and the turn down portion at the front of the fender tapers to a narrower width, just like original).
After taking a crap load of pictures and measurements before stripping the paint off, the center stripe 2 tone, best fit from all my measurements (truck wasn't consistent) and correlating with the bottom trim centered on the front marker light and back corners under the tail lights is this:
Upper pinstripe = 5-1/8" up from the body line, everywhere except the front half of the hood where it starts to follow the hood line down. The full pinstripe clears just under the door handle like this. (from pics, I could justify a bit lower, maybe 1/4" lower, but not so much that it isn't completely hidden by the trapezoid shaped side mirror covers if you have standard mirrors)
Center of bottom trim = 11'' below the body line, which you can verify by it being centered around the corner under the tail lights.
Thanks, I will check them out.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Here’s some trucks with correct stripe location and orientation…

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Here's my 84.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Here’s some trucks with correct stripe location and orientation…
I love that black grey n red scheme!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I love that black grey n red scheme!
Ya me too! One of the top combos for these trucks.
Thanks for the pics. After looking at the pics and staring at the truck, the pic I sent was the wrong angle and it does follow the hood line.

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade