New coil springs too strong? Can't connect upper ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I finally got my spring seated in the top pocket and the bottom on the LCA.

I was so happy I started jacking my truck up, put the spindle back on, jacked it up more to connect the upper......

And then I realized the spring is so strong right now it's picking the truck up off of the jackstands. Even if I were able to reposition the jack and get the top connected I feel like it would be constantly under extreme force.

Did I get the wrong coil spring? Moog 6452 from summit. It stands the same height and has same diameter of the spring itself.

I really need to finish this project up but I don't want to put the worn out spring back in there :/

You must be registered for see images attach

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Be careful though. Remember, it only takes one "oh sh!t" to make up for ten "atta'a boys".
Yeah good call... The only chain I have is not rated for more than 1200lbs I don't think and hardware store is gonna be $90 for a chain rated to do it... Probably better to put the old spring back on and pay someone to change it with the right tools

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah good call... The only chain I have is not rated for more than 1200lbs I don't think and hardware store is gonna be $90 for a chain rated to do it... Probably better to put the old spring back on and pay someone to change it with the right tools
I doubt that old spring will be much easier.
Most good hardware stores will sell chain cut to the length you need.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Looking at that picture it doesn't look too far off, can you not just pull the UCA down? Or will it not come down far enough?
It's a brand new one and I was not able to by hand with the bushings being so fresh I guess... About a 5" gap

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
It's a brand new one and I was not able to by hand with the bushings being so fresh I guess... About a 5" gap
Loosen the bolts back up till you can move it by hand. You don't want to tighten those to spec until you have the weight of the truck on them. They'll hold the front end up too high.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I was taught to bolt the upper, then raise the lower to get the castle nut started and then jack some more to run the bolt down and torque it to spec once the truck is lowered and curb weight is on the suspension.

The others have good suggestions to keep the truck from lifting up, but I would strongly suggest snugging up the upper ball joint first and then finishing on the lower.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Desperate times call for desperate measures...

Thanks everyone for help and ideas!!!! Got it

You must be registered for see images attach

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Loosen the bolts back up till you can move it by hand. You don't want to tighten those to spec until you have the weight of the truck on them. They'll hold the front end up too high.
I said it wrong the first time by the way I was hitting the bumper on the bottom of the UCA and thought the bushings were what was holding it back. You were 100% right they were not tightened to spec yet.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
By the way I got the spring to seat top and bottom pretty easily without a helper by zip tying the bottom of the spring in place and the top really close and then as soon as it started to pinch I gave it a couple soft hits with a rubber mallet and it seated. I watched a guy trying to use a spring compressor and it popped out and I said nooooope!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad