1986 1 ton 454 Trans swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Keep the 465. It's all part of the ambiance and charm of our beloved Chevy trucks. It is a real truck tranny.....jmo

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well I’m stuck on what to try but at 65mph my truck is screaming pretty good. I have 410 gears and a 454 the fuel consumption is incredible lol. I would like to change the trans to a smoother shifting setup with more gear options which is why I was interested in the nv4500.

You must be registered for see images attach

that is one fine looking Chevy !!!

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I have battled this decision for the entire 5 years I've owned my suburban. I've convinced myself to go all three routes at different points in my life, and I have yet to do any of them. I don't daily drive mine, but I used to tow with it regularly. The 454/465 combo is strong as an ox, and I haven't had any significant issues out of this combo at all. But it leaves a lot to be desired on the highway. From a cost perspective, the Ranger Torque Splitter always appealed to me; however, it seems to be more work to install and likely a little cumbersome to shift. From an ease of use, ease of install, and general cool factor, the Gear Vendor has its obvious perks - but it is PRICEY. As of late, I am of the mindset that the NV4500 would suit me best. I find it to be right in the middle with respect to cost, ease of install, and ease of use/driveability.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The 465 is a dump truck transmission. Pretty bulletproof overall, but the NV4500 can be just as reliable, and it offers OEM parts replacement and maintenance for the most part. I think if I were looking for OD and simplicity it's still the best route, plus affordable. Also on a SWB (sorry it does look short(ish) truck you are going to start to running into drive angle issues if you run a splitter or GV OD unit, especially if you combine it with a lift and other modiifcations.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The only drawback to the nv4500, and I only call it a drawback from my point of view, others may not see it as such, is they are particular about the fluid they use. From what I understand, it needs to be either the GM, or Chrysler approved fluids for it to run happily. You can't just dump some 80-90w in like the older transmissions.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The only drawback to the nv4500, and I only call it a drawback from my point of view, others may not see it as such, is they are particular about the fluid they use. From what I understand, it needs to be either the GM, or Chrysler approved fluids for it to run happily. You can't just dump some 80-90w in like the older transmissions.

That and everybody seems to think they are made of gold. The price is kind of hard to swallow when they all have a bunch of miles on them and have probably been used hard.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Your correct. It sure about the dodge variant but I believe in the fm it’s just Dexron 2 or something similar

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
GM and Dodge put out a service order about 6 months ago stating that all dealers service NV4500's with ATF since Castrol I no longer available. That was straight from the parts guys at the dealerships when I was looking for the oil.
Then I went to Summit Racing and bought a case (6qts) of the A/C Delco OEM fluid. I think it's about $23/qt. An oil change should last for a good 50k miles.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I kept thinking that GM spec'd syncromesh or some such for it. Sounds about right @ $23 a quart. On one hand, I'm surprised that they sent out a bulletin saying to use atf, on the other hand, maybe they just don't care about those units anymore. A little engineered obsolescence. I've seen first hand here at work what the wrong fluid will do to brass syncros during testing. And that was a fluid that the engineers said was supposed to be a direct replacement for the application being validated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara