1985 350 ran out of gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On the one hand, the engine started right up after you added gas. On the other hand, it died again in a few miles. So did running out of gas cause the problem, or did the problem cause you to THINK you ran out?

Did you check to see if the accelerator pump sprays gas through the twin squirters?

And by all means, make sure you have spark.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
On the one hand, the engine started right up after you added gas. On the other hand, it died again in a few miles. So did running out of gas cause the problem, or did the problem cause you to THINK you ran out?

Did you check to see if the accelerator pump sprays gas through the twin squirters?

And by all means, make sure you have spark.

No it ran out of gas, then I put gas in the truck and drove it. I can see gas going into the carb.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
How much did you put in? I have ran a few cars out of gas. If you only put like 3 gallons in it is probably still starving. I always fill them up after I run out. It helps get air out and prime the pick up. I ran out a few years back in my wife's 2000 chevy caviler and put 2 or 3 gallons in it and it still would not start. Had tow truck stop at gas station and filled up and it started rite up. I have done the same thing to like 3 other cars before and same thing. For some reason a few gallons after you ran out is not enough.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
How much did you put in? I have ran a few cars out of gas. If you only put like 3 gallons in it is probably still starving. I always fill them up after I run out. It helps get air out and prime the pick up. I ran out a few years back in my wife's 2000 chevy caviler and put 2 or 3 gallons in it and it still would not start. Had tow truck stop at gas station and filled up and it started rite up. I have done the same thing to like 3 other cars before and same thing. For some reason a few gallons after you ran out is not enough.

probably 4-5 gallons and I probably used up a gallon before it died again. I will try throwing some more in it as well.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I bet the fuel sending unit "sock" is clogged especially after the tank was ran that low. sometimes you can fill the tank up and ride down a bumpy road and free up the vlog a little bit. if you have a fuel filter the sock is my recon...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
turns out it had no spark. Turns out it just happened at the right time. I happened to have another distributor laying around so I swapped it out. Running great now. Thanks for the help guys!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
turns out it had no spark. Turns out it just happened at the right time. I happened to have another distributor laying around so I swapped it out. Running great now. Thanks for the help guys!

Cool! It always helps to look for the easy to identify issues first.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Cool! It always helps to look for the easy to identify issues first.

Yep, I put about 5 gallons more in it and nothing. So then I checked for spark. Just glad I had and extra one laying around. Actually seems to run better too.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Glad it was a simple problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics