1984 bench seat upgrade... options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyD11730

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ok... so I thought I was going to swap Suburban buckets and console in place of my bench on my 84 K2500. However now I'm being told those Suburban buckets offer even less legroom then my stock 84 bench seat. As much as I would love to swap in the buckets I can't have even less leg room. Not to mention they don't fold forward either.
So what are my options? 60/40 benches out of what year pickups and Yukons?? Not looking to reinvent the wheel mind you. Rather something I can hopefully put my bench tracks on and away you go!

Thanks guys!

(Photo of my bench seat that I wish would recline some, it's killing my back!)

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The Suburban ones really don't fold over, huh? Never thought of that. The Blazer/Jimmy ones fold down and have a handle that you pull over and the whole thing moves up so a full grown adult can climb in the back. I don't know about the Suburban front legroom, but my Jimmy has superior legroom and steering wheel clearance compared to a pickup. The problem there is that the Blazer/Jimmy seats sit on big stilts because there's no hump. Same for the GMT400 Blazer/Tahoe. I'm sure there's a solution for that, but I've never researched it very thoroughly. You may look into the 78-87 El Camino seats, but those are comparable to early Blazer/Jimmy short buckets. They fold, but besides them, those are the only options I can think of from GM. If I ever wanted a 60/40 bench for a pickup, I'd go with manual seats from a GM car that was close in year so it would blend in with the design better. They're very low profile, and you'd probably see spacial gains in all areas of concern. That's a beautiful bench seat, by the way.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I put a 95-98 60/40 in mine. I'm not sure if it gave me anymore leg room though. You can recline it some but it still hits the back of the cab and if you want it recline a lot you have to slide it forward. Its a really comfortable seat though and its a little thinner than the stock bench. Here is a video I followed to install it. I do think rather than doing it this way I would just build a small frame to mount the seat on and just use one set of sliders if I ever do another one.

You can also find this seat as solid bench in the back of crew cabs (95-00) the bottom is one piece but top has the fold down arm rest and indepent reclining backs. That might make mounting easier.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TommyD11730

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My K5 is much more comfortable to drive... no doubt. It's like when they rebuilt my seat they added 2 much foam in the lumbar area (like that when I got the truck)
What about the C/K 88 to ? Trucks... they came with a 60/40... no??

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Whew I'm glad i have a crew cab...