1982 250 4.1l inline six stalls when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I6
Any advice would help. The 1982 inline six does not have a booster. It has disc on front tho which seems weird to me that it does not have a booster. It has an inline six and runs pretty good, and have driven it 5000k in last 3 months since we rebuilt trans, made a new drive shaft, etc. It stalls and runs rough when you come to a stop, not always but a lot. I have sprayed carb spray all around the engine to see if it has any leaks. It has a 1barrel carb and i have cleaned it good. I still have not adjusted the idle on it since not sure about this type of carb and engine and what rpm needs to be. I've only had v8's. The truck is perfect for my 16 year old since it will not spin the tires. Lol.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Maybe an issue with float adjustment. Also, it should have power booster. I’ve never heard of a square having standard manual brakes/optional power brakes, but it could have been converted also. Not too familiar with these so I can’t say whether or not these have a vacuum break like 2 and 4 barrel carbs do, but as long as the vacuum source for the booster is plugged, it should be okay and not the reason you’re having issues. Although, I would do power brakes for the sake of a driver first starting out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
They do come in NON Power Brake and Non Power Steering. They are usually stripped down Custom Deluxe models with I6's. Does your have power steering by Armstrong, or does it have a power steering pump?

As far as stalling and running rough, I too would suspect carb issues. Maybe a piece of junk clogging an idle circuit.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
The goofy Chevy dealer in Daytona Beach was still selling base trucks in '85 with PS, auto, A/C, radio and manual brakes!

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
The OP says it is a 1 barrel, but 250s in '82 were integral heads w/ progressive 2 barrels, so it may have been changed around with unknown parts.
If it is still the 2 barrel, they were known for thottle shaft wear issues causing idle issues.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
They do come in NON Power Brake and Non Power Steering. They are usually stripped down Custom Deluxe models with I6's. Does your have power steering by Armstrong, or does it have a power steering pump?

As far as stalling and running rough, I too would suspect carb issues. Maybe a piece of junk clogging an idle circuit.

The goofy Chevy dealer in Daytona Beach was still selling base trucks in '85 with PS, auto, A/C, radio and manual brakes!

Thanks for the clarification. I was aware of manual steering coming from the factory, but I wasn’t sure if manual brakes were still in at that point.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Funny some of combos that could be put together back then. I'm not sure when PB became standard in 3/4 and 1 Tons, but they were an option in a 2WD 1/2 ton at least through '85.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The OP says it is a 1 barrel, but 250s in '82 were integral heads w/ progressive 2 barrels, so it may have been changed around with unknown parts.
If it is still the 2 barrel, they were known for thottle shaft wear issues causing idle issues.
You caught that too?!?!? I was wondering myself that same exact thing. The integral heads did indeed come with a 2bbl and maybe someone did the best thing you can do for a 250 and swapped a non integral head on it with the Rochester Monojet.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You caught that too?!?!? I was wondering myself that same exact thing. The integral heads did indeed come with a 2bbl and maybe someone did the best thing you can do for a 250 and swapped a non integral head on it with the Rochester Monojet.
Maybe the OP could post pics of his set up....... hint hint....

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Maybe an issue with float adjustment.
Sounds reasonable. Gas in the bowl is moving forward on braking and uncovering the idle port. The engine starves.
Install 6 Weber downdrafts and fugetaboutit!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78