1979 Crew Cab Dually 496 - Tire Wizard Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
They are the bolt-on type with their own studs. 2" thick, to run big tires.

Ok ya i have been looking into them. Alot of people say they can cause bearings to fail but alot of people run them without issues too

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's my '87 from the early 90's. It had 215's with similar aluminum wheels. Sorry for the crappy quality pictures, they're scans from 1990's pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 496
Ok, so I was trying to avoid the extra work of putting all the tires on and dropping it down because I could tell they were too close, but everyone says they run this size so I did it anyways just to see. Im no expert, but Im pretty sure this is way too close. At the bottom it looks like about 1/16". Any load and they will be rubbing. These are 235/85/16. What gives?

PS im not lazy, but when you are doing all this in the dirt, its 108 degrees, and the ants are ravenous, you wouldnt want to do it twice either lol. cant wait to get some concrete...

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Wouldn't hurt to run spacers. That does look kind of close. I have seen that some brands of tires are a bit wider than others. I have never been around the Falkens before. I ordered a set of Treadwright 265 75 16's for a soil sampling truck I have and they were not any wider than the 235 85's on my motorhome.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
That's a nice pickup, btw. :rockit:

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 496
I'm running 235/85/16 with about 3/4 gap unloaded. Even with a load I've always had daylight left between them. BTW Nice score!:cheers:

Thanks! are you running stock rims? I guess I should just try a HT I guess... I really wanted an AT though

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Thanks! are you running stock rims? I guess I should just try a HT I guess... I really wanted an AT though

Yep, stock rims and no spacer. Tires are a Peerless brand, Wild Trac - Radial XRS Plus+.:cheers:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wouldn't hurt to run spacers. That does look kind of close. I have seen that some brands of tires are a bit wider than others. I have never been around the Falkens before. I ordered a set of Treadwright 265 75 16's for a soil sampling truck I have and they were not any wider than the 235 85's on my motorhome.

Yep, some brands are simply wider than others. Actual width can very widely even with the same brand, between different tire models.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 496
The general consensus seems to be that this size should work so I guess im gonna try a different all terrain tire and hope I have enough space between the rears. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I think I might try the BFGoodrich commercial T/A Traction or the Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner. Really hoping I can find an all terrain that will work but if I have to, I would rather go with a highway tread than go down to 215s. And Ive thought about spacers alot, and I think I would rather avoid them if possible. I dont like the idea of throwing rocks at whatever Im towing or possibly chipping my fenders. Thanks to everyone for your input.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
How much gap do you guys have between your tires?
Heres mine with 235/85s sorry grass has been growing. Id say its about 1/2inch.

Sharp truck btw.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 496
Heres mine with 235/85s sorry grass has been growing. Id say its about 1/2inch.

Sharp truck btw.

Looks like they would rub with a 4k pound load (which is what Im thinking my 5er will be). Have you ever loaded it up and checked if they rub?

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 496
What about a 1/2" spacer like this with longer wheels studs. I can't remember if the rear needs hub centric or not. $47.

Something like that is what I was thinking about going with, every post ive read says you HAVE to use hub centric ones though... I don't really see why though. If you think about it, they are clamped together pretty good by the 8 lugs and the wheels are still hub centric so I dont see what the difference would be.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Something like that is what I was thinking about going with, every post ive read says you HAVE to use hub centric ones though... I don't really see why though. If you think about it, they are clamped together pretty good by the 8 lugs and the wheels are still hub centric so I dont see what the difference would be.

Hub centric rings AKA Compression rings are not spacers at all, they are needed because most stock rims do not have the champher on the lug holes that the lug nuts require! They definitely don't go between your rear dual tires!:cheers:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK