1973 Chevy Blazer - opinions wanted on interior color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle K

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy Blazer K5
Engine Size
Hey all, my first post here but have been reading the forum for years, and has always been very helpful. Thought I’d reach out to this group and get your opinion on a dilemma I have on interior color.

Background
  • I have a 1973 Chevy Blazer that I’m fixing up. Goal is NOT to restore to show truck, but rather restore to what is close to original looking and drive it for fun.
  • Do not have a top (and in no hurry), currently black rhino lined that needs to be repaired (along with new floor pans first), and aftermarket seats that I’m removing.
  • I do not want to put carpet in the truck, just in case I get caught in rain (it is garage kept, but really want to allow dirt in there if needed)
  • I plan to put shoulder belts in (to the roll cage), and need to buy my seats to do so. My dilemma is interior color….black or beige/tan (which impacts rest of interior)
  • See below link to the seats I’m looking at (want opinion on which style you think is best with 73 Blazer also). I’m done going down the route of finding old seats and re-upholstering
Color Impact

The interior color decision impacts the seats, middle console, floor/bed rhino line color, interior door panels, and dashboard

Eventually for my exterior color I plan on going with Orange. See reference photo I like of exterior (not mine, just pulled off of internet). https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/1005-dfw/1973-chevrolet. Note that this truck has black interior, so if I go with black interior as my decision, I’ll pretty much copy this. See this link for beige pulled off well (though it has carpet)... https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1975-CHEVROLET-BLAZER-CUSTOM-SUV-125314

Black Interior Pros
  • Easy to match color of all interior elements
  • Rhino line will look good
  • Hides dirt easy
Black Interior Cons
  • Could be very hot in the summertime with no top

Beige Interior Pros
  • Like the light look
  • Cooler in the summertime with no top? (not sure if this is still true with vinyl in summertime, no matter what color)
  • Goes well with orange exterior

Beige Interior Cons
  • Hard to match all interior elements colors (might be different beige/tan shades).
  • Rhino line floor may not look good
  • Shows more dirt

So overall would like your opinions on carpet vs. no carpet, seat choices, and my color dilemma

Thanks!

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
Black.
Beige seems more of a show car direction.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Of those two, black. It is a totally personal preference a I cannot stand beige.
I like this style:
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm glad I looked at the links, that's not at all what I would think of as beige. That's 100% tan if you ask me.

Tan actually hides dust and dirt better than black. It is indeed MUCH cooler when it's been sitting in the sun, compared to black. I do agree that it looks good with orange paint, (better than black, imho) so with those things said, my vote goes to tan. However, I would still have the floor done in black. I don't have experience with colored rhino liner, but I would imagine it shows dirt and stains. Or am I wrong?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree 100% with @bucket about the black being much hotter in the sun than the beige/tan seat. Another option might be choosing a light gray seat. Any gray-black interior accessories would still complement each other and you would not have the matching issue.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I would go lighter, especially if you drive it in the summer. I know dark colors get hotter and burning the **** out of the back of your legs in the summer with shorts on sucks.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I would go lighter, but I don't think the color with the sun is gonna make any difference . Vinyl is gonna be HOT which ever color you go if there is no roof!!!!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Yeah , the cloth would be a very good option!!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Tan in orange fer sure but I like carpet too.
I imagine seatbelts would help choose seats, maybe figure from there cuz no shoulder in 73... but lap belts only? No limit. Flat floor!
You could get some cool Camaro buckets from a scrapyard or anything..

Kyle K

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy Blazer K5
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the thoughts above on the interior, really helps out. Putting in a new crate, then fixing floor pans, and onto seats. Will post pics when complete.

Appreciate it.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
I wouldn't worry too much about having the different shade of colors if you decide on the Beige option (personally my favorite, mainly because it's cooler temp wise than black). Most automotive companies are just assemblers of various parts from a whole slew of speciality vendors. Having a master color code is very tough with so many vendors. Companies like Rolls Royce or Ferrari probably have the best results matching interior color components. GM ain't even close!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Kyle K
I had the exact same pros and cons thoughts before I read yours, so I am of no help.
Flip a coin?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I wouldn't worry too much about having the different shade of colors if you decide on the Beige option (personally my favorite, mainly because it's cooler temp wise than black). Most automotive companies are just assemblers of various parts from a whole slew of speciality vendors. Having a master color code is very tough with so many vendors. Companies like Rolls Royce or Ferrari probably have the best results matching interior color components. GM ain't even close!

Did you know that all the wood in a Rolls Royce comes out of one tree - AND Rolls keeps the wood for spares?
Some thing like that maybe, speaking of color match ,those dudes match wood grain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl