1967 327 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
anyone know where or not a 1967 stock 327 heavy duty truck engine came with mechanical or hydraulic cam and lifters. reason im asking is at the fire station we have a 1967 flat nose Chevrolet fire engine that have a 327 engine in it. i cant remember to save my life when GM went to hydraulic cam and lifters. im restoring it and its been sitting for awhile and no one really knows anymore whats been done. it really a pain in the ass to get to the engine since its under the cab. i know i can pull valve covers and intake and see for sure. but i really dont want to unless i just have too. because everyone says is was running when it was parked.... any info on this would be great.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
I seriously doubt it could have a solid cam , all the solid cams were Hi-perf only long before '67.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
See that's what I was thinking but I couldn't remember.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
not 100% but pretty sure it's hydraulic. does it have the big harmonic balancer or the small one. remember also solid tappets must be adjusted, part of a tune-up. look back at the records see if this was ever done. highdesertranger

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
It's got the big harmonic balancer on it which is making wonder about it. And yes I know adjusting solid lifters are part of a tune up. And there is no records on this truck anywhere me and the chief have looked in all the old files and can't find anything on it. I guess I'll jerk the valve covers and intake off make sure. It needs a carb kit anyway.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
after spending alot of time googling the T50 Tilt Cab series trucks..i found out that the truck actually has a 366 in it and i know those engines where hydraulic cam and lifter...1968 was the first year that the 366 "truck engine" came out from what ive been reading.. which makes more since Chevrolet and GMC used 366 SBC engines in Medium Duty and Heavy Duty trucks up until the mid 90's like 96 i wanna say...then i think Duramax, Caterpillar, and Cummins pretty much took over for engine options in Medium and Heavy Duty trucks. so thanks to all that gave some imput.

68post

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, TBD
after spending alot of time googling the T50 Tilt Cab series trucks..i found out that the truck actually has a 366 in it and i know those engines where hydraulic cam and lifter...1968 was the first year that the 366 "truck engine" came out from what ive been reading.. which makes more since Chevrolet and GMC used 366 SBC engines in Medium Duty and Heavy Duty trucks up until the mid 90's like 96 i wanna say...then i think Duramax, Caterpillar, and Cummins pretty much took over for engine options in Medium and Heavy Duty trucks. so thanks to all that gave some imput.

366 is a bigblock, and I believe a tall block at that (I know the 427 truck engines are tall deck). 366 has the same stroke as a 396 or 427 - just a smaller bore and probably 4 ring pistons too (like the 427 "truck" engines).

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
366 is a bigblock, and I believe a tall block at that (I know the 427 truck engines are tall deck). 366 has the same stroke as a 396 or 427 - just a smaller bore and probably 4 ring pistons too (like the 427 "truck" engines).

you right 100% this ^^ is what happens after being up for 24 hours straight and trying to do research.... because i did an engine swap awhile back on a 1993 Chevy Kodiak water truck that had a 366 TBI in it. that engine was originally a propane truck that the company i was working for at the time bought from the state of texas and someone before i was around converted it to gasoline...which alot of time they dont like...so it never really run very good and then someone decided to dump a handful of needle bearings down the throttle body and i know this because when i tore it down i found pieces of then on top of the cylinders..which were chewed to **** because the stupied ass driver didnt stop running it when he heard the engine ratting and then went to missing like crazy after about 5 min....and after i got it to the shop and got it all tore down and seen 3 pistons were chewed to hell and 2 cylinder walls were cracked, and not to mention both heads were chewed up but real bad... we couldnt find a long block used ...and new from NAPA was the same price as a 427 long block.. so i just bought a 427 to put back in...ugh!! as soon as i seen where you said that it was a big block it all came back to me instantly it seems like...then I was thinking to myself..."DUMB ASS" because ive worked with 366's before.....

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
so that confirms that the engine thats in our 1968 T50 fire truck is a 327..because it is a small block no doubt about that...and the only 2 V8 gas engines they put in those trucks were 327s and 366s the rest for that year model were big bore V6s.. i guess ill just try getting Casting Numbers so i can verify its the original engine and it has been swapped out..since alot can happen between 68-present lol. no one seems to really know anything about this truck.. since everyone that was around when our department got it is has either passed away or moved off somewhere.. so im really going in completely blind on this truck.

68post

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, TBD
you right 100% this ^^ is what happens after being up for 24 hours straight and trying to do research.... because i did an engine swap awhile back on a 1993 Chevy Kodiak water truck that had a 366 TBI in it. that engine was originally a propane truck that the company i was working for at the time bought from the state of texas and someone before i was around converted it to gasoline...which alot of time they dont like...so it never really run very good and then someone decided to dump a handful of needle bearings down the throttle body and i know this because when i tore it down i found pieces of then on top of the cylinders..which were chewed to **** because the stupied ass driver didnt stop running it when he heard the engine ratting and then went to missing like crazy after about 5 min....and after i got it to the shop and got it all tore down and seen 3 pistons were chewed to hell and 2 cylinder walls were cracked, and not to mention both heads were chewed up but real bad... we couldnt find a long block used ...and new from NAPA was the same price as a 427 long block.. so i just bought a 427 to put back in...ugh!! as soon as i seen where you said that it was a big block it all came back to me instantly it seems like...then I was thinking to myself..."DUMB ASS" because ive worked with 366's before.....

Now you're on it !! 366 same price as a 427 !! Wow ! How'd want a 366 ? Slow is an anvil rolling uphill , but just as durable too.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Now you're on it !! 366 same price as a 427 !! Wow ! How'd want a 366 ? Slow is an anvil rolling uphill , but just as durable too.

yeah i was floored when the prices were like $100 bucks difference...so i went back with 427...yes they are. but hey that 427 still purs like a kitten and it had some freaking power.. it was backed by a 5 speed and 2 speed axle.. it would some the hell out of ****..it really impressed me after it was back in..had to play with the timing a couple of times but after that it ran like a scalded ape.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
when i was pulling that 366 out i was praying that the block was good so i could take her come with me at the end of the day...but ever then i still had to return the core... :bawl::bawl::bawl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph916