12 Valve swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandontwilson

Reaction score
First Name
brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevy k20
Engine Size
6.7 cummins
So i'm converting from a gas to a 12 Valve just curious on what all i need to change and get if someone wouldn't mind letting me know it would be much appreciated

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
There is a bunch of info on U-Tube of these builds. The first step is welding the front frame for added strength. Do to the weight of the engine and the torque it will produce. I think someone on here has a build thread going . You can do a search to try and find the thread.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
This is a loaded question. Depends on what you want and have a budget for. Biggest question is what transmission your Goin to use. They make adapter plates for almost anything. I've got a 12 in mine with a zf5 behind it.

brandontwilson

Reaction score
First Name
brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevy k20
Engine Size
6.7 cummins
This is a loaded question. Depends on what you want and have a budget for. Biggest question is what transmission your Goin to use. They make adapter plates for almost anything. I've got a 12 in mine with a zf5 behind it.
i was just gonna get a adapter plate so i can use my th400 or if i can find the actual transmission i was gonna use that

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
Depends on if its going in a 2wd or 4wd. And it’s intended usage. Running stock? Or intending to increase power?
I’ve done a few Cummins conversions, but everyone seems to have their own idea of what is the best way to do it

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
i was just gonna get a adapter plate so i can use my th400 or if i can find the actual transmission i was gonna use that
You mean a Chrysler transmission? Im not a big fan of there newer automatics. I would stick with a gm transmission if your going auto.

brandontwilson

Reaction score
First Name
brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevy k20
Engine Size
6.7 cummins
Depends on if its going in a 2wd or 4wd. And it’s intended usage. Running stock? Or intending to increase power?
I’ve done a few Cummins conversions, but everyone seems to have their own idea of what is the best way to do it
its going in a 4wd pickup and for the time being itll be stock up until i can beef everything up for it so long run there will be a increase in power if that makes sense

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
If I'm pretty sure the GM adapter works with all there truck transmissions witch is cool in case you go with an overdrive transmissions down the road. I'm curious as to what starter they say you will need.

brandontwilson

Reaction score
First Name
brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevy k20
Engine Size
6.7 cummins
If I'm pretty sure the GM adapter works with all there truck transmissions witch is cool in case you go with an overdrive transmissions down the road. I'm curious as to what starter they say you will need.
yeah that one im obviously not gonna get everything overnight it'll take a bit of time but i'll watch some youtube videos and see what they use and what'll work with my budget lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko