1/4" or 1/8" Thread for Oil Pressure Sending Unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
This is great stuff! I did some searching and found that manual, I will add to my reading list.

So, I will be using the tap above the oil filter and be leaving that switch up by the distributor alone. It also seems like it will be easier to get a wrench on anyway. One question I still have is: should I leave that adapter on (what I think is an adapter, see my earlier picture) or install directly to the 1/4"-18 oil port above oil filter?
Anybody have a picture of what their's looks like above oil filter?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Those weird looking street 90's are good stuff. Use it. It is made of thick brass and is designed to withstand the conditions expected to be found in that part of the engine compartment. It's primary purpose is to extend the life of the sensor (and is associated wiring) that is screwed into it.

If it were not provided, the sensor would have to be mounted at a right angle to the engine block and stick straight out sideways. In that position, it would be subject to the heat of the exhaust pipe and road debris.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Well, I tried but I can't get the old sender out from above the oil filter, there's just not enough room to get a wrench in there. Even if I removed the exhaust manifold, I don't think I'd have clearance.
Has anybody done this before? Is it even possible with the engine in?

I will try now to see if I can get access to the other port above by the distributor. I don't have the T fitting there, so if this would work, I'd need the fitting so I can install the sender and keep the switch that's there already.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Another option - do you have a basin wrench? If not, HF sells an adjustable version (handle is 12' but can be extended to 17 1/2"). That should be able to reach the sender. They are not usually too tightly screwed in to the fitting:

$11.99 at Harbor Freight:

Retractable Basin Wrench

Pittsburgh - Item#41854

You must be registered for see images attach

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Wow, can't believe I've never heard of that tool, looks a like real game changer! Will swing by HF this weekend and see if I can pick one up.
I was considering even removing my slave cylinder to get more room, but if the sender's not in too tight, then this tool should do it.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I got the switch out, that tool made it so easy, thanks for the help chengny! I couldn't have done it without your input.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef