‘87 truck assessment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Almcphee

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V6
Is there a thread that gives pointers on what SPECIFIC areas to look at to assess a truck overall to determine if it’s worth restoring ?

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Worth relative to what? Market value? If you are going on resale then save your money and don't restore it cause you will lose money. Does it have sentimental value, or do you want to restore because its something you want to do and have a truck at the end of the project? If yes, then its only limited by your budget. There's tons of parts available for these trucks so they're not hard to restore if you choose.

Almcphee

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V6
Are there specific spots to inspect to know whether the “bones” of the truck are good , before one starts changing all those parts that are available ?
Some points may be specific to this generation of truck ......

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Is there a thread that gives pointers on what SPECIFIC areas to look at to assess a truck overall to determine if it’s worth restoring ?
They are all worth it....it all depends on how much you want to put into it (time and money)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Are there specific spots to inspect to know whether the “bones” of the truck are good , before one starts changing all those parts that are available ?
Some points may be specific to this generation of truck ......
I see what you're getting at. You're interested in feasibility and making sure there are no major faults before you invest yourself. They're all worth it, by the way. You've got body and trim/exterior, frame, electrical, powertrain and control, drivetrain, and interior. The only thing that could really be a make or break is rust or damage on the frame or the body, and even then a frame swap is a pretty straightforward answer to that problem. The rest of it can be combatted. I would examine the frame for chunky rust. Surface rust is not a big deal if you address it. Probably the weakest point of the frame is where the steering gearbox mounts, as it does crack there sometimes. This can be repaired, though, and it's not a huge deal. As far as rust goes, the places where it likes to rust at are the cab corners, the rocker panels, under the doors, the inner fenders, and on the underside. You see some trucks that are on the verge of becoming Flintstones vehicles, but if you have some rust, I wouldn't discount the truck. Small spots on the floor pan are easy to repair, and patch panels are largely available if you have an aptitude for welding or know someone who does. I'd make sure the TBI stuff and the wiring aren't hacked. All that's repairable, but if the PO was an idiot and hacked the wiring, it can cause headaches. If you already own the truck in question, I'd just go for it.

LDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sometimes, I just get a feeling about a truck and want to fix it. Guess that sounds a little stupid but that's how it is for me.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Just be realistic bout your skills and equipment to do the job, for example my truck has rusty floors, firewall, door jams and the usual rockers, cab corners, wheels wells, spots above the wheels on bed sides. Think about how you would replace them in your current situation.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
My carpet is holding my floor pans together I can push my finger through the floor but yet I just dropped a 468 in her

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My carpet is holding my floor pans together I can push my finger through the floor but yet I just dropped a 468 in her

You must be registered for see images attach
It’s just weight reduction it ain’t rust.:D

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Mine had rotten rockers and corners, the bed was ****, there was a hole rotted in the passenger side door I could stick my arm threw and both fenders were ****. Lol the hood, floors and drivers door were good everything else I replaced with a few custom touches. Now it’s solid. None of the running gear is factory to this truck other then the transfer case and that’s been taken apart and changed too. It all comes down to how far you want to get into it.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
My 86 started as a complete truck I have replaced the floor pans rockers and cab corners doors hood fenders in and outer / hole front clip to a Silverado clip bed to a dually bed tale gate eng and trans lol . the only parts of the truck I haven't changed is the cab shell frame and rear axel . so it is all in what your willing to do to your truck . if it is for resale make it easy on your self and just send me the cash you are willing to lose lol.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My 86 started as a complete truck I have replaced the floor pans rockers and cab corners doors hood fenders in and outer / hole front clip to a Silverado clip bed to a dually bed tale gate eng and trans lol . the only parts of the truck I haven't changed is the cab shell frame and rear axel . so it is all in what your willing to do to your truck . if it is for resale make it easy on your self and just send me the cash you are willing to lose lol.
Me too!!!!

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Me too!!!!
I was going to include you in that . But the last time I tried to help you out I was accused of trying to give away some one's stuff. So I don't try with you anymore . so stick that in your console . lol:bleh:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I was going to include you in that . But the last time I tried to help you out I was accused of trying to give away some one's stuff. So I don't try with you anymore . so stick that in your console . lol:bleh:
I can’t the lid won’t open because it’s jammed under the dash but the add said it would fit......:bawl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512