What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Changed out the worn ignition cylinder lock. Picked up the new one from ebay for $20. Could have bought an aftermarket unit for less but wanted the ACDelco lock and keys so it was worth the extra money. I was going to do a writeup but realized @89Suburban covered all that (and more) in this thread. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3085

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Tried to put the hub back together but the hub is screwed. Hoping to find a new hub in the next day or two or truck is on a permanent vacation for awhile.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Changed out the worn ignition cylinder lock. Picked up the new one from ebay for $20. Could have bought an aftermarket unit for less but wanted the ACDelco lock and keys so it was worth the extra money. I was going to do a writeup but realized @89Suburban covered all that (and more) in this thread. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3085

Smart idea to get the OEM AC Delco piece. Those Duralast and even the Wells brands don't seem to be of any kind of quality IMO.

Even though 89S did a write up already, you can always add your .02 cents to his thread too. Sometimes what works well for others don't work well for another, of if you had a shortcut or used a different special tool or got around using a special tool then it's certainly worthy to share.

86K5

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Finished steering column repairs and changed front wheel bearings.:party36:

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
You must be registered for see images attach

Installed window visors/air deflectors all four pass doors
Installed factory tow hooks (had to drill one new hole for each since due to winch bumper
Procured a trailer for it from a friend (needs some TLC)

jackyrenton

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
v8
i took mine for a little spin a few days ago and my boy liked it a lot. He didn`t last long. After 15 min. fell asleep.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
drove home 6 sheets of sheetrock to start finishing the walls in my garage. it is amazing how much better it rides with a load in the back, even a minor one at 300ish pounds

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
drove home 6 sheets of sheetrock to start finishing the walls in my garage. it is amazing how much better it rides with a load in the back, even a minor one at 300ish pounds

My 1/2 ton rode like a Caddy with 1800 lbs of gravel in the back. Poor leaf springs, lol.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
My 1/2 ton rode like a Caddy with 1800 lbs of gravel in the back. Poor leaf springs, lol.

it's strange though. i had 4x 70lb gravel bags in the back for the entire winter and it didn't ride near as good as the sheetrock yesterday. or an entire boxful of r13 insulation

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

And springs on these squares aren't as tough as springs on the 60's truck.

When in Cali, our local dump always charged me a flat fee when I took a load in. And I always like going to the dump cuz it was steep hill climbs around winding roads up this mountain of trash and landfill. So I pull up on the scale, expecting to give my $8.25 (Cheap back then) for my standard pick up truck load. Wellllll not this time, that 64 GMC 3/4 ton was damn near dragging the bumper and I ain't even kiddin'. It was heavy and didn't want to stop hardly at all with that little single resevoir master cylinder. So they tell me I have to stop and get weighed on my way out. I asked, WTH for? I never have to weigh out. Uhhhh, well, you're extremely overweight by the looks of the gross weight, and if I were you, I'd hurry up that hill and get emptied before the CHP officer over there notices your truck trying to drag the bumper. (CHP was there the whole the time the dump was open looking for violations, smoking brakes, bad tires etc on the bigger trucks, and known to write tickets if overweight too). Soooo OK, Roger that, on my way up the hill. Power wasn't a problem with this street/strip truck and 4.56 gears, though it did run about 220-240 climbing that 4 miles of winding roads. Get unloaded, come down to the weight station and it was some **** like $27 when it's normally $8.25. Again, I was like WTF? I normally pay $8.25. Well sir, that's based on a flat rate of Cu Yards for pick up trucks, but due to your weight, you get charged by weight like the commercial truck. Now damn, I know it was roofing material, and I had makeshift sideboards so we could heap it up, but it was 2 layers, maybe even 3 layers of shingles from an 800 sq foot house. They said I dumped 2.25 tons of shingles. I said, No friggin way, that's over 4000lbs. Yep, I was proud of that weigh ticket. And sure glad I didn't get an overgross ticket from the CHP.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well after welding the hub I got the wheel studs in. Re-assembled everything and got it all torqued down.

Tonight I'm going to be installing the drag link and putting the tire back on the truck and MAYBE starting the passenger side.

Monday I'll have the tie rod that runs across the axle and install those and be driving again.. hopefully.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Installed Edelbrock Performer EPS intake and 600cfm carb...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Installed Edelbrock Performer EPS intake and 600cfm carb...

Is that a TV cable or a kickdown cable I see there ?

If its a TV cable then for sure you need the TV bracket for the Edelbrock linkage.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I pulled all 8 spark plugs out and heated them till they were glowing red with my torch then re gapped them and reinstalled :)

No burnt fingers lol and found 2 plugs were fouled from my old Quadjet. Purrs like a kitten now.

Was also thinking that I should find a disc brake conversion kit for my 14 bolt SF ???

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Pretty sure it's a kick down cable. It's a 350 tranny. I thought TV were only on 700s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman