'73 Chevelle SS Wagon (local find)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Wow. I started reading this at the beginning and was about to start commenting. After a few likes I realized I needed to jump ahead a few years. Well, I'm glad you actually brought her home! Sweet SS wagon. Lol, I have some catching up to do.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ok, so it's now about to be Sunday morning here, I got back home Friday afternoon. I have installed the Holley 2bbl, with an adapter plate to the large bore Rochester 2G manifold. It runs frigging sweet! I'm very proud of myself as I nailed the bench tuning on it. The pump shot is perfect, the idle air fuel mixture is perfect, even the curb idle was perfect. I bolted the carb on and it works flawlessly. Besides the old 2G stumble, it's a marked improvement over what it was before. However, I did have to spend a few hours thinking with the throttle cable action and return springs, to get it just right.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also replaced the radiator with one from my '77 K5, it's a direct fit. I also replaced the front pads, the headlights, cleaned it all up and polished it again.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Last night I found a motel to stay in a couple hours from home, to get a head start on this morning's drive. Got to park right outside my room door @SirRobyn0

Averaged 15mpg for much of the trip too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Tomorrow's official Power Tour route takes us literally right past where I bought the station wagon. I'll probably stop in and show the guy that I'm actually using the car and enjoying it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@bucket Andy don't tell @Ricko1966 you replaced the Rochester with a Holley 2 throat...

Beautiful SS
Enjoy your Power Tour!

To be honest, I still have the original Rochester riding around with me, just in case.

Got 16mpg on the last tank, with mostly highway driving. It runs superb, but a buddy has followed behind me a few times and has suggested I can take it down a couple jet sizes.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Tomorrow's official Power Tour route takes us literally right past where I bought the station wagon. I'll probably stop in and show the guy that I'm actually using the car and enjoying it.
Report back if you stop by, it will be cool to know the reaction.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@bucket Andy don't tell @Ricko1966 you replaced the Rochester with a Holley 2 throat...

Beautiful SS
Enjoy your Power Tour!
I've actually thought about using a Holley 2bbl myself on one of my builds,but I have so many things to build and so many ideas. The reason for the Holley 2bbl would be adapt it to a factory TBI manifold. I think it would be very effecient,I'm betting GM did their homework on torque and efficiency on the TBI manifold. For my 86 I've often thought, 90 Burb exhaust,700r4,stone stock TBI 350, knock sensor HEI and Holley 2BBL. I bet it would get surprising mpg and still be a good work truck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikejeden