What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I elected to take my Burb to a shop for valve seals and A/C
That was last week Wednesday...
It's still there!!!
Poop!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhh it'll be there for awhile. I'da never done that. Valve seals alone IMO, don't justify removing the heads. So unless they're doing them with heads on the vehicle..... For valve seals, I'da just added the quart of oil every 2-3 weeks until it was time for a valve job, but that's just me. Now if it's bad enough to the point you're burning much more oil and fouling plugs it might be work valve guides in which valve seals will only be a short lived band aid and it should have had a valve job. But maybe not. It could be a low mileage motor and the valve seals are just old and dried out from age so I don't know your whole situation. Nonetheless, it's not usually a 1-2 day in the shop job. Hopefully you'll have back by this coming Wednesday.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Doing ball joints what a load of fun. Got the passenger side down and now stuck on the driver side with the inner bearing stuck to the spindle. Tried heat and a chisel and air chisel and the thing is just laughing at me

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Doing ball joints what a load of fun. Got the passenger side down and now stuck on the driver side with the inner bearing stuck to the spindle. Tried heat and a chisel and air chisel and the thing is just laughing at me

Uh Oh. :thumbsdown:

Three Legged Puller? I don't recall if there is enough room to get the fingers behind the bearing or not. You may end up having to sacrifice the bearing. Tear it up, then carefully cut the inner race with a grinder.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
No I don't got one Haha just got it off with the air chisel. Boogered the edges up but I'll grind them down later. Any tips to get the steering arm off? On a side note does anyone have a spare mirror like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

v2500burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
350ci
HotrodPC
The truck has broken 50k miles
They were old are dried out
He did one side with the head on
The other side he dropped a valve
That's why it took forever
He also ran all new vacuum lines to the intake (free)
Changed all my plugs (free)
So it ended up not being bad

Now I just need to find an AC compressor.

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No I don't got one Haha just got it off with the air chisel. Boogered the edges up but I'll grind them down later. Any tips to get the steering arm off? On a side note does anyone have a spare mirror like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

You need just the mirror? I have two but they are paint white. They are attached to the doors I got for my 73.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Yea just the mirror. I would prefer a chrome ones. But if I can't find one shortly I'll let you know

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay, I don't know if they were chrome and painted white. I will check tomorrow for sure

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HotrodPC
The truck has broken 50k miles
They were old are dried out
He did one side with the head on
The other side he dropped a valve
That's why it took forever
He also ran all new vacuum lines to the intake (free)
Changed all my plugs (free)
So it ended up not being bad

Now I just need to find an AC compressor.

Oh **** that sucks. So that means you got a new head gasket on one side. I hope that didn't change your cost of repair. It's not your fault he dropped a valve and had to pull a head. Does sound like he did a fair deal replacing vacuum lines and plugs for FREE.

Honestly I wish more shops would, and I think they should, I would, is replace vacuum lines. At least the critical ones that are easy to get to. You know these shops buy vacuum line in 100 - 500 foot rolls in bulk, and in all sizes. It's a real pain in the ass for you and I to measure how much vac line we need, which 3 or 4 various sizes we need, then buy it in a 2ft blister retail pack and pay 5-10 times what the shops pay for it in bulk. And the shops have it handy and can cut it off the roll in the lengths they need. Just good bidness to me when a shop does things like that at no charge when it may cost them $3-$4 and an extra 10-20 minutes of time. Those are the shops I send people to, or the shop that adds a 1.25 lbs of Freon and only charges for 1lb instead of 2lb. They buy the freon in bulk too. Being in the tow world, I drop in at several shops and have actually found a couple good ones that I refer people to.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yea just the mirror. I would prefer a chrome ones. But if I can't find one shortly I'll let you know

A good glass shop will replace the glass mirror in that body for cheaper than You could pay postage to have someone send You the body with a good mirror init.
Juz sayin.

Two more weeks, two more weeks before the Doc. wants Me riding in a vehicle.
I hope thats all the longer it is.
First thing I`m going to do is to drive over to the BoyChilds house and look at My 79 K20.
It will be several more months before He will want me working on anything.
Schazit.
OH well, it sure is nice to not have ANY pain.:rocking:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A good glass shop will replace the glass mirror in that body for cheaper than You could pay postage to have someone send You the body with a good mirror init.
Juz sayin.

Two more weeks, two more weeks before the Doc. wants Me riding in a vehicle.
I hope thats all the longer it is.
First thing I`m going to do is to drive over to the BoyChilds house and look at My 79 K20.
It will be several more months before He will want me working on anything.
Schazit.
OH well, it sure is nice to not have ANY pain.:rocking:

(To Be Transfered to Off-Topic)

Glad to hear you're doing OK on the pain Marty. I just fear it's short lived, as in a year or so. Exactly what kind of surgery did you have and where at in your back? I've been going to hit you up about it, and haven't had an ISP regularly.
Do whatever the damn Dr says for as long as he says. Pissed me off, my surgeon refused to allow me to drive for 8 weeks after my surgery. He never told me not to ride in a vehicle, but you can bet your ass I didn't for about 10 days and even then I made the wife slooooooooow down over every little bump and you can trust I was on pot hole patrol and in this damn state, pretty much just told her to stay on the inside lane to avoid all the bumps.

People who have never had extreme back pain don't have a clue as to how limited you are. As far as bumps and riding in a vehicle I do fine now. I know what I can and can't do, and what I can do limited or for short periods of time, and I know when I'm going to pay dearly for what activity I've done. Like when I go to my dads for 2 days and I'm pretty much working on the trucks for 8-10 hours of each day, and then the hour drive home, I know I'm going to be in bed for 2 days and not worth a ****.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Juz sayin.
I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I need everything but the mount. My passenger side just has the mount on it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Changed the oil, filled with gas, washed it and drive it all over town today :party33: felt great!!!!

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

The mirror pic you posted is just a cheap aftermarket one, not a nice GM one. Seems like you can buy them for $15 or so.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Changed the oil, filled with gas, washed it and drive it all over town today :party33: felt great!!!!

Jelly man, jelly. I'm gonna go out and whisper sweet nothings to mine tomorrow while I am out at Dad's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman