Well that's disappointing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I forgot to mention, I've driven a lot of Grand Cherokees over the years, never once have I driven one and thought to myself "this would be a decent tow vehicle". They drive and ride nice, but the stability just isn't there. Not enough wheelbase, not enough track width and not enough weight to plant the tires. And lightly sprung too.

How big of a trailer/load are you talking?

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
My '01 Jeep GC came from the factory with a tow package installed. I've installed a bigger sway bar and load leveler shocks in the rear, which has really improved it's handling abilities. I have towed 16-18' trailers with no issues at all. But, if yours is not a factory tow package I'd be a little leery about towing trailers that long. The owner's manual should give info on what can and cannot be towed.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I forgot to mention, I've driven a lot of Grand Cherokees over the years, never once have I driven one and thought to myself "this would be a decent tow vehicle". They drive and ride nice, but the stability just isn't there. Not enough wheelbase, not enough track width and not enough weight to plant the tires. And lightly sprung too.

How big of a trailer/load are you talking?

I've had the GC for about 5 years, it's been a good rig and I've towed my little 8X5 utility with it, and a lightly loaded tandem axle enclosed U-Haul trailer with it with no issues. But now we are talking about my 18 foot open trailer. I know from towing it with the truck that this is a different animal. With tractor I'd think it's about 5K but not more than 6K.

My '01 Jeep GC came from the factory with a tow package installed. I've installed a bigger sway bar and load leveler shocks in the rear, which has really improved it's handling abilities. I have towed 16-18' trailers with no issues at all. But, if yours is not a factory tow package I'd be a little leery about towing trailers that long. The owner's manual should give info on what can and cannot be towed.

I bought the Jeep used so I have none of the original paper work, but research shows it's a factory tow package rated probably for 7,200LBS. That said, I've heard folks who have towed trailers in my weight range with GC that thought it was fine and others that thought it wasn't.

What I may try is to tow the trailer empty, with the Jeep to see how it responds to having that much behind trailer behind it at least. I live in a very hilly area with lots of curves, and once I'm on the freeway it's passes to the east and south of me. So stopping and turning are paramount. I brought up using the Jeep because I might want to try it, but have the exact concerns bucket has said, especially on the terrain I'm in.

Like I said last night I'm thinking that the take away from this is for me to get off my ass re-gear the truck, and live with any slowness it my have for the piece of mind and reassurance of towing with full size truck. Still might try it a little with the Jeep starting with an empty trailer and see how it goes.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 Just glancing thru Portland craigslist. Saw an add for a dana 60 4.53 8 lug.$250 It's listed under "dana 60 4.56 8 lug". Don't know if this is something you are interested in or not. Thought I'd pass it along!!

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I've had the GC for about 5 years, it's been a good rig and I've towed my little 8X5 utility with it, and a lightly loaded tandem axle enclosed U-Haul trailer with it with no issues. But now we are talking about my 18 foot open trailer. I know from towing it with the truck that this is a different animal. With tractor I'd think it's about 5K but not more than 6K.

I bought the Jeep used so I have none of the original paper work, but research shows it's a factory tow package rated probably for 7,200LBS. That said, I've heard folks who have towed trailers in my weight range with GC that thought it was fine and others that thought it wasn't.

What I may try is to tow the trailer empty, with the Jeep to see how it responds to having that much behind trailer behind it at least. I live in a very hilly area with lots of curves, and once I'm on the freeway it's passes to the east and south of me. So stopping and turning are paramount. I brought up using the Jeep because I might want to try it, but have the exact concerns bucket has said, especially on the terrain I'm in.

Like I said last night I'm thinking that the take away from this is for me to get off my ass re-gear the truck, and live with any slowness it my have for the piece of mind and reassurance of towing with full size truck. Still might try it a little with the Jeep starting with an empty trailer and see how it goes.
Towing heavier trailers was a lot easier for me once I installed the Monroe load leveler shocks in the rear. Huge difference.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Towing heavier trailers was a lot easier for me once I installed the Monroe load leveler shocks in the rear. Huge difference.

I appreciate your vote of confidence in the GC, you and Bucket give good opposite advice to think about. I went into the thought of the Jeep as a tow vehicle with concerns, and I still have them, which is probably a good thing. I mean always good to be cautious where it comes to towing.

@SirRobyn0 Just glancing thru Portland craigslist. Saw an add for a dana 60 4.53 8 lug.$250 It's listed under "dana 60 4.56 8 lug". Don't know if this is something you are interested in or not. Thought I'd pass it along!!

Thanks for the link, while if closer by I'd be interested, but Portland is 4 - 5 hours away Goldendale is about 4. Oddly enough Goldendale is in eastern Washington and Portland is in Western Oregon, so that's a little weird, but I do appreciate you looking for me. At work today I noticed a wrecking yard in Yakima that has a 4.56 unit, didn't have time to call on it though so I'll have to tomorrow. Of course that means a trip over the pass but if it's clear about 2 hours. I'll let you all know what happens with the rear end one way or another.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok here is the best one I have readily available. Hopefully enough to help identify style.
You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is an update of sorts. So today I had a side job moving a wood framed shed, 12 X 7 or so in size. So I needed to drag it out of this guys back yard which required pull it across the lawn making a turn, pulling it though his gate, another tight turn and up on to his drive way and then onto my 18 foot open trailer the one we were talking about in this thread. My initial idea was to take my tractor there on the trailer, but then I realized I could do the pulling with the Jeep. (my square is a 2wd so was concerned I'd have trouble with traction in his yard). He's only about 10 miles from the farm and it's all back roads with top speed limit 45 for a few miles. So I towed the trailer there with the Jeep, unhooked the trailer, built a skid got it under the shed and did the moving.

Here is my take on towing it a total of roughly 20 miles at slower speeds. The Jeep does pull the trailer a little bit better from a power stand point. Because the Jeep is so short, it is easier to maneuver the trailer into a smaller spot, 4 low is helpful doing delicate maneuvers and not having to lay into the converter (I'm sure that would be better in the truck when I finally change the rear end gears). The trailer empty squats the rear of Jeep pretty good, while it does basically nothing to the truck. The trailer wants to push the rear end of the Jeep around not terribly, but it's there, like on corners or it there is some rutting, which translates to having to correct it with the steering wheel. It does not do that with the truck, with the truck the handling is plan and stable 100% of the time. I had to run a higher setting on the brake controller as the Jeeps brakes are totally inadequate with the trailer.

My assessment: The truck wins hands down in the safety category for sure stopping, steering and stability is better in the truck, and that is the most important. Given another similar situation where I needed the Jeep on the work site, yes I would tow the trailer with it again, but only if it was local and did not require more than 45 or 50, no way I'd feel comfortable getting on the freeway. I had pretty much already previously decided that the truck would be the one towing the trailer because it is so stable, and this just reinforces that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85