Well that's disappointing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well that's disappointing now isn't it... Ok, so my 1984 C-20 passed along to me last November after a good friend passed away. I've known this truck for a lot of years. I knew that when he got the truck it had a blown engine, and bad rear end. He had just wrecked a late 70's C-20, that had great running gear. The 84 had a great body and interior and still does for being unrestored. So this happened before
I knew him in the 90's, he swapped the engine, trans, and rear end out of the wrecked truck into the 84. He always referred to it as having a 350. (I'm sure you already know where this is going).

When I got it I was reminded of this story when I first opened the hood and remembered the engine is blue (84 would have been black). Later on after towing my 18 foot trailer over the pass with a small tractor on it I would discover it has a 3.41 rear end in it not a 3.73 as the RPO code indicates. Still later on last month we were having a discussion at work on how to identify a 305 vs a 350. As we had a truck there with an unknown small block. I had to replace the oil pressure sending unit last night on my truck and while I was back there I thought I'd see if there was a casting number or liter stamp back by the firewall because I don't know for sure, just know what I've been told. Well guess what's back there... Yup that's right clear as day GM 5.0 LG Ok, well this combination explains why when driven moderately and empty on the highway I can hit 17MPG which is nice I will admit that, but otherwise it's disappointing to say the least. I still haven't re-geared the rear end and now I'm hesitating simply because I'm not sure a 305 even with say 4.56 gears will be enough.

I'm now considering if my 1996 grand cherokee would be a better choice when I need to use the trailer. The 5.2 magnum there makes 208HP and 295Lb ft Torque and has the 3.73 gears, ( for reference more torque and horsepower than the 1984 350 would have had). Only thing about the Jeep is I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that large of a trailer behind that small of an SUV.....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I should add I'm not really looking for any advice per say, more like just need to bitch. On the other hand if you happen to have done some towing with a grand cherokee I'd like to hear about how that went.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Cool story bro. How's work goin?

I think a 305 is well adequate for your task but LG4 heads leave a lot to be desired. Yeah yeah..this is not advice
BUT! I bet if you swapped whatever cylinder head ******** you got now for a pair of #416s with 1094 shims? 1094 is a 350 part number though..It would make all the difference in the world! You could have #776 or #321s...I don't bet youve got #601s even..prolly slower junk than that AND 8.2:1 CR..I think 305s get a bad rap.
An undeserved bad rap at that!

She just needs a little tune-up is all. But the camshaft makes a #2 pencil look good. :( lol.

Y u no haz pix? What is the casting number in them heads yo?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Work is going ok I guess. We are still on limited hours, I'm still only at the shop 3 days a week, some of the younger guys are working a little more because they are cheaper than me and that's ok with me. I've got the motor out of a 75 square right now, it's off getting rebuilt I should see it back in a few weeks. Other than that nothing really interesting at work. How about you?

I don't disagree that the 305 has an undeserved bad rap. I've certainly seen them go the distance in terms of reliability and longevity. I'm not one to yank a a perfectly good engine, say to swap to a 454, unless the 305 was shot which it is not. I'll think about the idea of heads and cam. The list has gotten so long on the truck. I have the second saddle tank assembled and ready to install, need to change the gearing in the rear end, and no consider the engine. I need to get off my ass as start knocking out these projects one at a time. Thanks for the "not advice" :)

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Meh the cam is way too big a job but a head gasket swap is quick and easy.
I got a big ass promotion at work and everything was goin pretty alright until that back wheel came off my truck and took the lug studs with it. One more project like you said..
Speaking of, I really am about to start work in the Camaro - what do you know about aluminum head bolts for SBC?
Is it a different set than for irons? 99S i think is the part #.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I got a brand new cam and lifters for my 305. Then put a 454 in so I don't need them now. Have break in lube too. I'd make ya a deal on it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I got a brand new cam and lifters for my 305. Then put a 454 in so I don't need them now. Have break in lube too. I'd make ya a deal on it.

I'm interested, but on a budget, it would be good to know what cam you have and about what you'd want for it. Thanks,

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Meh the cam is way too big a job but a head gasket swap is quick and easy.
I got a big ass promotion at work and everything was goin pretty alright until that back wheel came off my truck and took the lug studs with it. One more project like you said..
Speaking of, I really am about to start work in the Camaro - what do you know about aluminum head bolts for SBC?
Is it a different set than for irons? 99S i think is the part #.

WTG on the promotion, sucks on the wheel. On the aluminum heads I have no idea. I've never really been an engine builder, I've always had someone either in house or elsewhere that did the building so I'm not going to be of much help especially the aluminum stuff.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
I'm interested, but on a budget, it would be good to know what cam you have and about what you'd want for it. Thanks,

I'll take some pics when I get home to let you know what cam it is.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Sorry Doug, I just looked up the cam and it is not recommended for towing, so I'm probably going to pass, but at your price I'm sure someone will go for it.

No problem man

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Several years ago, I bought an '86 K20 Suburban with a "late 70's Caprice 350" swapped in. It had 33's and 4:10 gears. Normal driving, it seemed spunky enough, but when giving it some real throttle, it couldn't get going any faster. Well after running the casting number, it was no surprise to find out it was a '79 305.

It was still great tow rig, it was just really slow to get up to speed and obviously it was slow going up hills. I would have much rather used it for towing than a Jeep. Brakes and stability rate higher than pulling power.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Several years ago, I bought an '86 K20 Suburban with a "late 70's Caprice 350" swapped in. It had 33's and 4:10 gears. Normal driving, it seemed spunky enough, but when giving it some real throttle, it couldn't get going any faster. Well after running the casting number, it was no surprise to find out it was a '79 305.

It was still great tow rig, it was just really slow to get up to speed and obviously it was slow going up hills. I would have much rather used it for towing than a Jeep. Brakes and stability rate higher than pulling power.

I've done enough towing to know brakes and stability are the most important and that is what concerns me the most about the Jeep. The truck has been fine stability and braking with the trailer whether I've had grain on it or the tractor, or whatever.

I appreciate the story / info. I think the bottom line take away for me, I've learned from this thread / other reading and my own thinking is this just means that it is more critical for me to get on the re-gear so I can have that going for me. I could possibly do somethings to the 305 to help it but I'll get to the re-gear one of thee days and see if that at least makes it easier on the truck. I don't mind slow, I do mind over working the truck, but I do expect it to work hard for me as well.

I've been planning to re-gear the existing semi-float to 4.56, but I may see if I can find a full float, most here are 3.73 or 4.10, I'd get the 4.10 and see if that is enough which it might very well be. I've got a healthy 700R4 so not overly concerned about running to high of RPM on the highway when I'm not loaded and want to be able to go 70+

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85