$40 well spent on OEM buzzer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A guy on another forum said he pulled several buzzer modules from the junkyard and was selling them for $40. These are the OEM buzzers for our trucks if optioned with them. My Custom Deluxe has no buzzer. However, I'm told all trucks have the receptacle. There should be 7 pins. Depending which buzzer you get, it may only have 5 or 6 but the one with 7 male pins has all the buzzer options ( key in ignition, headlight, seatbelt, etc.) As I have now killed my battery twice in the past year, I wanted a buzzer for the lights. Well, I plugged the module in and wow, like magic, I have a warning buzzer for the key and lights!
Just posting this for those that may not know like I didn't. That plug is over near the gas pedal, has nothing to do with the fuse block.
And BTW, it's a nice soft buzzer, not obnoxious like the cheesy aftermarket ones you have to wire in.
Carry on.

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_142615165_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230930_142615165_HDR.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20230930-142713.png
    Screenshot_20230930-142713.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 70

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I took the seat belt buzzer out of our 75 Impala way back when it was new. Per Dads "request" ahem.
2 leads. Hooked up some wires, been using it as a battery "leak" finder every since. Been through 3 divorces, a dozen moves, but I still have it.
It brings back memories of good times...

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
My 1990 Cherokee with gm column had gm headlight switch and the buzzer. I wonder if it's similar or the same? Wish I still had that jeep to check lol

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My 1990 Cherokee with gm column had gm headlight switch and the buzzer. I wonder if it's similar or the same? Wish I still had that jeep to check lol
I think AMC, Mopar, and GM all had the same buzzer at one point. If not, they sure sound similar. I also remember some squares a constant Hi-pitched non-stop beep. My '85 Suburban made the beep when the headlights were left or the key was left in. My '85 C10 Silverado makes the buzzer noise during startup, but no other time.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
My 83 regal makes the high pitched tone. I think Cadillac had there own lol. I love that they had there own horn and other trademark stuff. There trunk lids are cool with the suck down feature. I thought about adding that to my regal.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My 83 regal makes the high pitched tone. I think Cadillac had there own lol. I love that they had there own horn and other trademark stuff. There trunk lids are cool with the suck down feature. I thought about adding that to my regal.

I think the Cadillac horn was just the normal 2-note GM horn, but with a third note horn added. I believe it was optional on Buicks too, if I'm correctly remembering what my grandpa (He was a Buick man) told me when I was younger. Also, '86 to '92 Camaros and Firebirds had the trunk pull-down too.

Cadillac did get their own GM keys though, with the crest on them. So there's that, lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I think the Cadillac horn was just the normal 2-note GM horn, but with a third note horn added. I believe it was optional on Buicks too, if I'm correctly remembering what my grandpa (He was a Buick man) told me when I was younger. Also, '86 to '92 Camaros and Firebirds had the trunk pull-down too.

Cadillac did get their own GM keys though, with the crest on them. So there's that, lol.
IIRC the Cadillac horn setup has 4 horns on some models. Delco Remy/GM aftermarket had horns with 4 different notes, I don't remember the letter codes. I do remember Dad having all 4, and hooking them up to the battery in one of our square body Burbs, and doing comparisons on them, to see which ones sounded better together. He had them paired on the '84, and it would get your attention! Loud but not in an obnoxious way, just big and burly like a mid 70s Cadillac.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
The Buick & Cadillac horn option (I've found it as U88 on Cad and U09 on Buick) added a C & D note horns to the existing A & F notes. The Rochester products / Delco Remy horns had the note molded into them.

Attachments

• Horn Notes.jpg
    Horn Notes.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 36

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
The Buick & Cadillac horn option (I've found it as U88 on Cad and U09 on Buick) added a C & D note horns to the existing A & F notes. The Rochester products / Delco Remy horns had the note molded into them.
Yup I forgot to mention that! That's probably how Dad had them paired. I remember doing the sound testing; we "played" them in different combinations until we got them to sound good.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can't believe anybody actually wants those annoying things! I threw many of them in the trash back in the day!
Take a screen shot and print it out. Store it in a safe place. When your all grown up and the novelty of working on these old trucks aren't quite as appealing as it was when your (eyes, back, legs, etc.) worked as they once did, go to your safe place, dig out the print and it will make sense. Of course by then, you wont be driving anything gas powered so it might not matter. You have likely missed the Golden age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe