under powered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82withproblems

Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 Jimmy
Engine Size
I just bought an 82 jimmy with a 350 and 2 barrel carb. It is extremely under powered and I don't even know where to begin fixing it. My plan is to fix up the running gear and then focus on the body and the interior. The engine starts alright but it seems very sluggish. Anybody know where a good place to start would be? I'm also having problems with my automatic transmission. It doesn't really like to go when it's in reverse.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Aluminum intake and a 4 bbl carb, I prefer quadrajet carbs they're one of the best running carbs out there, and a simple edelbrocker performer aluminum intake would help a lot, and a set of headers would help out also with maybe exhaust. That's what I would do, get it breathing good, but at the least an intake and carb would be a good start.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Aluminum intake and a 4 bbl carb, I prefer quadrajet carbs they're one of the best running carbs out there, and a simple edelbrocker performer aluminum intake would help a lot, and a set of headers would help out also with maybe exhaust. That's what I would do, get it breathing good, but at the least an intake and carb would be a good start.

Not so sure any of that will work without a new cam to make use of the new breathing ability. Used to see that a lot back in the 80's. Someone would get some old v8 car from the 70's throw on a four barrel carb and intake, and ignore the factory cam that had a profile designed to work best with a 2 barrel carb. Then they'd complain how it ran worse than before.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
im assuming you've done a basic tune up? plugs,cap,rotor,coil,wires,etc

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What gears you have in the back. You can do all the upgrades you want but gearing will make a big impact

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
an rv cam will low duration and approx .44 lift will do just fine. it'll boost that low end and take advantage of any bolt ons you add. plus your mpgs won't go out the window.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Is it smoking or anything? Maybe the engine is just tired and needs a rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Have you done a compression test on it yet?

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Headers and dual exhaust will give ya a nice bump in performance and mpg. If you can get away with it where you live, getting rid of the catalytic converter will help also.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The 4 bbl aluminum intake will help a lot regardless of whether its the stock cam or not.

You need a good 4 bbl carb and a matching intake before you can swap in a cam anyways!

I would put headers on and dual exhaust with free flow mufflers and then accumulate all the parts for a 4 bbl carb and intake (aluminum ones are best with no EGR) And then finally purchase your cam.

Edelbrock 2101 with a good Quadjet

Edelbrock 2701 with a 1406,1806,1826 Edelbrock carb

Use Felpro 1256 intake gaskets for either manifold.

If using anything other than a Quadjet you will need additional accessories that you cant find at the local junk yard like throttle cable brackets and fuel lines and what not. it cost me almost another $200 just in little **** to get my Edelbrock 2701 and 1806 carb working.

Although Quadjets are superior carburetors to Edelbrocks carter style carbs, they do leak from the fuel well plugs where as Edelbrocks do not. You need to find a pro to fix this properly unless you are quite knowledgeable and able to do it your self.

Put the exhaust on first then do your cam swap with the 4bbl carb and intake at the same time.

Or do the cam later.

But you need the 4 bbl carb and intake regardless!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm