Affordable AC Fix Squarebody Suburban W/ Rear AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bosshog454

Reaction score
First Name
Branson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Like most people I was not satisfied with the performance of my 1991 Suburban V2500 AC Performance. Most threads that I could find suggested replacing the compressor with a Sanden style unit, before spending the time and money I decided to look for improvements in the factory setup. I did this based on my experience with home HVAC unit and how frequently the underperformance is not because of the unit but rather the insulation of the home or duct work etc.

The good news: I was able to fix my AC for extremely cheap without buying any new components (although you will need a valve and some foam pipe isulation)

Tools / Equipment needed:

Step 1: install a valve on the inlet to the heater core, even if you aren't blowing air across the heater core that heat in your dash still gets crazy hot and contributes the heat in the cab. This made a noticeable difference in the AC temp but did not make it tolerable.

Step 2: separate the inlet and outlet lines to the rear ac. The inlet line comes out of the compressor and runs through the condensor in front of the grill. In the engine bay this line was around 140 degrees, this line then heads to the rear of the truck and into the rear ac unit. There is then an outlet line running out of the rear ac unit and back to the front of the truck and into the compressor. The problem is this, the hot inlet line from the compressor and the cool outlet line from the rear ac unit are strapped together for the entire length of the truck. The hot inlet line heats up the cool outlet line and by the time the outlet line reaches the front of the truck and runs back into the compressor it has gone from 100 degrees to about 138 degrees. So instead of putting cool refrigerant into the compressor and getting a temp increase from that point, you put hot refrigterant into it and get a temp increase from that hotter point. Here are the numbers according to my temp gun

Outlet line - as it spends more time strapped to that hot inlet line it slowly heats up
* rear of truck - 102 degrees
* under pass door - 108
* under fender corner - 118
* right before it meets the outlet line from the front unit - 138 degrees

I separated the two lines for the entire length of the truck and wrapped foam pipe insulation around the outlet line from the rear ac unit all the way back up to the engine bay so that it would not get heated up by the hot inlet line. I then secured both lines with separate brackets and screws. Now the outlet line is 108 degrees at the engine bay instead of 138. Step 1 and Step 2 made it to where my old suburban would keep me cool driving down the highway on a 100 degree arkansas day, the only problem now is when I'm going slow in town. So I moved on to step 3

Step 3: auxililiary fan on front condensor. I bought a 30 dollar 12v fan on amazon and installed it in front of the condensor on the radiator, I wired it to a 12v relay and then to the battery. I wired the relay to the AC compressor wires so that it turns the fan on whenever the ac compressor is engaged. With this addition my suburban is cool no matter what, if I'm parked completely still it starts to be less effective but in stop and go traffic I have zero problems and we just had one of the hottest weeks in Arkansas that I can remember. Every day was 100+ degrees with a heat index of like 114 at times. My temp gun said the concrete was about 125 degrees.

I know the Sanden compressor route is probably the most effective but I wanted to share this with anybody who is looking for a cheap and easy fix. If there is any reason that this setup is unsafe please let me know because this is my daily driver lol. My temp readings could of course be off a little bit because of the style gun I use but the undeniable fact is this, my suburban ac has been so bad that I didn't even use it during these hot months for the last several years, I just rowed my windows down. Now my AC is nice even during the hottest possible times.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have always thoerized that the heater core is also a coolant bypass. I can not prove it, because I haven't researched it. I would not shutoff coolont through a heater core without seriously researching. coolant flow, bypass, and possible long-term consequences. I would reroute water so it bypasses a heater core but would not close off a cooling passage. Yes I know lots of cars used to shut off coolant with the heater control valve but they were designed to be done that way.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had the above steps along with sanden and parallel flow condenser. I believe in the end was using red orifice tube. It could keep the inside cool in the middle of the texas heat sitting idle for hours.

Bosshog454

Reaction score
First Name
Branson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Ricko, Thanks for the heads up, I'm not sure if that's necessary but creating a bypass will be too easy so I'll go ahead and do that.

Yev, eventually I'm going to do an LS swap so will end up with a Sanden but this is the first I've heard of a parallel flow condenser so I'm going to check it out!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
In theory if you place a ball valve in parallel with the heater core the water will follow path of least resistance ball valve open water would bypass the heater core,ball valve closed water would go through the heater core.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I used a vacuum controlled valve that bypasses the coolant instead of shutting it off. Late gmt400 trucks used them. I just hooked the vacuum line to it except in january when it would get disconnected for a month.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
If you can park in the shade, it makes a huge difference. It takes a lot of cooling power to overcome the giant heat soaked metal cab of a suburban.

I have an aux fan that does help in stop and go. I have noticed that the heater core being hot all the time does heat up the under dash area.

I'd love to see pics of what you did with the rear AC lines. Did you leave the lines as is and were able to move them slightly and then secure them again? Or did you have to replace the lines?

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Did a 134 refit on a 86 I had years ago.
The rear would freeze you out! Didn't do anything special, just filled it until it was cool enough for me. Never did not work for me.
I kept the front on low. I was tall enough then the rear would blow strongly on the back of my head.
It was dark blue and I live in the southeast.
I salvaged the unit when I scrapped it. I another burb it's going in.
Just going to use rubber lines to go to the rear.
I'll follow your lead when I do.

Bosshog454

Reaction score
First Name
Branson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Oh I forgot to add something that may have contributed, I couldn't bring myself to drop 550 dollars on a new headliner so I made on out of mdf board with a hardwood style pattern on it. I put some of that silver bubble wrap insulation between it and the cab roof so I'm sure that may have helped a bit. Either way the roof still gets insanely hot when parked in the sun.

I'm currently in the home stretch of a one ton axle swap, I pulled the GM 14BFF and dana 60 out of a 1985 CUCV M1008 and swapped them in. Waiting on my new rear axle from Tom Woods Driveshafts to get here next week and it'll be done. Did a few other upgrades to the front end, it's been a learning experience but I'm ready to but a ribbon on this one for now lol.

Bosshog454

Reaction score
First Name
Branson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
These first two pictures are in the engine bay, I insulated that cool outlet line leading back into the compressor by wrapping an old water hose around it and taping with HVAC tape. I was worried the tape would come loose from the engine heat but so far so good.
You must be registered for see images attach

So here are the pictures @gmbellew asked for. It's not pretty right now, I wanted to make sure it worked before putting much effort into something more permanent and lately I've been focused on finishing up this one ton axle swap so this just hasn't made the top of my list. You can see that I separated the lines and alternated between each line with the existing brackets then secured the hot line to the cool line with duct tape. When I tidy this up with my permanent setup I will just use self tapping metal screws and some of the little brackets that you use to secure electrical conduit to a wall. I still haven't decided what sort of insulation I will use long term, I do quite a bit of trail riding so this foam will eventually get ripped up by limbs and stuff.

I considered running the cool line through the cab, under the carpet but not sure if that poses a safety concern. I'm wide open for suggestions at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod