Should I swap to a 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would down size maybe to a 383 or look for a stout 700r4 or spend on the 4l80e you would spend more on that 6.2 than you would for a 4l80e

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
so i currently have a perfect running 454 in the c30, love every bit of it except the 6 mpg. I have been thinking about throwing in a 6.2 any thoughts? I found one for cheap that might have a blown head gasket (all it says is coolant in the oil) that came out of a 1990 humvee. I could get it for under $400. What do you all think?

My thought is that then i could drop the 454 into my camaro without having to rebuild it...

cummins!

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
To do a proper rebuild: new or reworked heads. proper machining of block new pistons c- rods and possibly even new crank, rings, bearings, main bearing girdle, new oil pump, water pump, j code intake if you don't have one, injection pump, injectors, glow plugs, etc. etc

You could tear that thing down and find cracked heads or block or both. Then what do you got nothing but scrap metal.

If you do the el-cheapo rebuild, more than likely some thing is gonna break.

Even if you do the the full out rebuild something still might break.

They were designed for fuel economy during the low horsepower smog crap era, nothing else.

And , at the end of all that you got 175 hp maybe.

Im just saying I think there are better upgrades to spend money on

o and one more thing, all factory 6.2s with J code motors(which came in all cucvs and k30s) had like 160 hp from the FACTORY it says it right on my air cleaner, you can buy a junkyard turbo kit from a 6.5 for under 500dollars and gain like 80hp, and the motor will hold the power no problem as long as your dont raise the boost, so I really have no idea what your smoking with the comments your putting out

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would be smiling with an m1028 with 28k for $1800 bucks too but I was referring to the $400 6.2 with coolant in the oil.

a good 6.2 is not common around here and guys want a fortune for them if they are.

an old guy told me that throwing in a quart of tranny fluid into your fuel will lubricate and clean your mechanical injection system. I did, never hurt nothing. the day I pulled it out it had mostly coolant for oil and she fired right up. I actually drove it like that for a month even went and picked up my new 350 with it.

I had 483,000 km on mine when I pulled it out

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
if you did a full rebuild you could get a 175 hp out of her with out a turbo.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I would be smiling with an m1028 with 28k for $1800 bucks too but I was referring to the $400 6.2 with coolant in the oil.

a good 6.2 is not common around here and guys want a fortune for them if they are.

an old guy told me that throwing in a quart of tranny fluid into your fuel will lubricate and clean your mechanical injection system. I did, never hurt nothing. the day I pulled it out it had mostly coolant for oil and she fired right up. I actually drove it like that for a month even went and picked up my new 350 with it.

I had 483,000 km on mine when I pulled it out

the reason you had coolant in your oil is because you had a blown head gasket which is common on high mile 6.2s you should of just bought new head gasket and drove it another 200,000 miles

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well the motor I'm looking at is an old military pull out of a humvee, would that be a j code engine?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Well the motor I'm looking at is an old military pull out of a humvee, would that be a j code engine?

yes it would be the easiest way to tell a j code is take the air breather off and it should just be a big hole, the non j codes had an egr thingy ma bober in the center of the hole... all military 6.2s were J codes(emissions free) no cats, no egr blah blah and like fifteen more HP

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I believe it would be. how many miles are on it

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
yep marks right

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would make the guy pay you to haul it away. You have no idea what you got for problems until you tear it down

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Yea its a J code then. No idea on the miles. He might take a low ball offer if I really want it. I wish I could go turbo but I see no way I could get the parts any time soon what with our local yards never having diesels.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Most often the problem is a cracked head actually only maybe like 20% of the time do you get away with just a head gasket. and if its a gasket how are the valves? is your head cracked because you had a blown head gasket ?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
what do you have for a tranny?