1989 v3500 ambulance Cummins swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motivatedoffroad

Reaction score
First Name
isaiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
v3500
Engine Size
I have a 89 v3500 454, turbo 400, np205 I want to swap a 12v Cummins in but not wanting to lift the truck. Has anyone been successful in this without lifting? Also not able to do a body lift. If I stay away from the cross member kits can I get away with it without a lift? Would also like to go with a nv4500 and keep the np205 pass drop aswell I know I can get an adapter for that. Is this possible all help is appreciated!
You must be registered for see images attach

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
Going to have to swap the crossmember under the engine. It can be done with no lift, and no body lift, it’s tight, but can be done. I’ve done a few Cummins swaps over the years, but got out of it 2-3 years ago.

I believe I let my blueprints go with my last crossmember for squarebody 4x, and also let the engine bracket plans go with the last set of GMT 400 4x brackets.

You can do it with 1st gen mounts, but I had better luck with 3rd gen mounts.

Also, I used the 3rd gen exhaust manifold to get the turbo down away from the a/c box.

A 96-up GM NV4500 will be the easiest swap. Change the input shaft and bearing retainer to the Cummins one. A 95 will work also, but the bearing retainer needs some machining and the input register on the 95 case is smaller. GM 93/94 use different low gear. It can be made to work, but just easier to find the later trans.

Also, if using a 1st gen Cummins, you can gain a bit of clearance on the mechanical fan but swapping to the 2nd gen fan hub.
1st gen pulley on left, 2nd on right, to give a visual of the hub difference

Last edited:

motivatedoffroad

Reaction score
First Name
isaiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
v3500
Engine Size
The ac box is a very low concern of mine, windows down is plenty! How much room was in between the oil pan and center section of the axle after all said and done? How about fitting the exhaust in beside the passenger drop tcase and drive line any problems there? The main reason for wanting to swap in the Cummins is I will soon start pulling a 2 car trailer as I’m working on a buggy for the mrs now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod