Hx40 turbo on 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmehringer001

Reaction score
First Name
Paxton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I have a 86 6.2 n/a and just bought a 6.5TD to use the intake and exhaust manifolds to turbo the 6.2. I bought a hx40 turbo said it was off a 24V Cummins.

I will need an electric lift pump as the oil drain goes where mechanical lift pump is. Anyone know what pump I should use? FASS and Airdog only have for 6.5TD, will this work since it is for a turbo 6.2?

Also Injectors and pump, would it be best to get new/have mine rebuilt for 6.2 or get 6.5 injectors? Saw someone else say if using 6.5 injectors then also use the db2 mechanical pump from a 6.5?

And finally, exhaust. I know it needs to be ran outside the frame because it is too narrow to fit inside. And is it correct that it’s just like a U-pipe from one manifold to the other, then out the turbo? Anyone have any pics of their exhaust setup on theirs?

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
I will need an electric lift pump as the oil drain goes where mechanical lift pump is. Anyone know what pump I should use? FASS and Airdog only have for 6.5TD, will this work since it is for a turbo 6.2?

You don't really need anything fancy. I use a Facet Cube-type solenoid pump. On my 6.2 Suburban it's in series with the mechanical lift pump, but on my F250 diesel (essentially the same fuel system) it runs on its own with no mechanical pump, and has worked just fine for many years.

But if it were me, I think I'd find another spot for the oil return, even if it meant installing a fitting in the oil pan, and keep the mechanical pump, just for the simplicity.

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
You don't need an expensive fuel pump. Get a good rotary pump. Mine is the same setup as what you're doing and I'm using a 50$ pump. I'm actually using stock fuel pump for a 94 6.5 truck

Last edited:

pmehringer001

Reaction score
First Name
Paxton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
You don't need an expensive fuel pump. Get a good rotary pump. Mine is the same setup as what you're doing and I'm using a 50$ pump. I'm actually using stock fuel pump for a 94 6.5 truck
Can you post a pic of where you mounted the 6.5 pump? I’ve thought about just doing that because I need to replace my mechanical pump anyways because it leaks a little after shutting the truck off.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I put mine on the firewall, probably not the best idea of mine. I should have mounted it on the frame rail like it is stock. I'm planning to relocate mine soon ish.

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
On my F250 it's on the frame rail, which is where you want it, at the low point so it can push fuel up instead of pulling. On my 6.2, it's beside the primary fuel filter, where I put it as a quick & dirty temporary fix, intending to move it to the frame rail when I got home. I won't mention how many years ago that was. :oops: It actually works OK there, but I'd rather have it at a low point, and pushing fuel through the primary filter, rather than pulling.

I'm actually using stock fuel pump for a 94 6.5 truck

It hadn't occurred to me to look at those, but it looks like a good option. And inexpensive, $27 for a Carter at Rockauto. Metric threads though.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
On my F250 it's on the frame rail, which is where you want it, at the low point so it can push fuel up instead of pulling. On my 6.2, it's beside the primary fuel filter, where I put it as a quick & dirty temporary fix, intending to move it to the frame rail when I got home. I won't mention how many years ago that was. :oops: It actually works OK there, but I'd rather have it at a low point, and pushing fuel through the primary filter, rather than pulling.

It hadn't occurred to me to look at those, but it looks like a good option. And inexpensive, $27 for a Carter at Rockauto. Metric threads though.
Just need some barb ends to thread in to it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef