Jack ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Ever have one of those days where you just want to crawl back into bed and hope tomorrow is better?

Long story, hopefully you find it amusing.

Had to drive the square to work last Wednesday. I’m not sure if I ran over something or if the tire just failed, but it went flat immediately. Lucky for me (so I thought) this happened right in front of my old high school. I parked the truck there, called my son to pick me up. I stopped by my dads house and got his spare truck and drove to work. I figured I would deal with the flat the next day.

My wife texts me about an hour later and informed me that where I parked is a big no no. When I went to the school the lot I parked in was the teachers parking lot, and the back of the lot was mostly empty. Turns out that now it’s student parking, and the students have assigned parking spots. She informed me the truck might not be there when I go to get it in the morning. crap.

My wife and son go to the school to try and put the spare on. Unfortunately, the hardware is rusted solid. It’s probably been decades since the spare was last installed.

My dad arrived with some better tools. My dad is NOT patient person. After about 20 minutes, he says, and I quote “f@CK it! and calls AAA. My son isn’t quite ready to throw in the towel, he finally gets the tire lowered about the time the tow truck arrives, only to find the tire is almost flat. They end up towing it to the house.

Now, the reason for my story. After going thru all this crap, I realize there is no jack in the truck! I vaguely remember a jack being bolted to one of the inner wheelhouses under the hood. If that’s the case, it’s long gone now.

What are people doing for jacks for these trucks? My Ram had a really nice bottle jack that stows under the front seat. I have used it on the Ram and the car trailer. If it will lift a 3/4 ton Cummins powered ram, it should easily handle a 2wd square. I’m considering going to my local junkyard and getting the jack and the storage bracket that bolts to the floor and bolting every thing behind the seat. But before I engineer something, I wanted to see if anyone in readerland had a better idea.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
This was, and still is, behind the seat when I bought the truck:
You must be registered for see images attach

I tested it and it works fine if needed. Kind of wedges in there and doesn't rattle. I also keep a couple of short 2 by 4 pieces to help if I need to use in the dirt. I do have the original lug wrench under the seat but the original screw jack that stores on the passenger side fender is gone. Can't justify finding an original jack at the prices people are asking.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
20 ton bottle jack is what I keep with my trucks/trailer. Generally tossed in the bed or in case of trailer, tongue box.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Found an old cab organizer at local pick and pull. Set the jack in the corner stays there ok. Could be more firmly mounted on the other side. Also have the original jack under hood but those are getting hard to find.

Attachments

• 100_1627.JPG
    100_1627.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 18

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Bottle jacks are good, Dad had some in a few of our square body Burbs. Some of them had a plastic case, and he kept a piece of wood to set the jack on in dirt or gravel. Also he made a block of wood to fit the axle tube, with a hole in the base to go over the jack top.
In my OBS Burb I have the factory stuff, but I often take my big floor jack or the aluminum floor jack, in the cargo area. In the crew cab, it goes into the bed, lashed down so it doesn't slide around.
I actually have a factory square body jack and handle, in good condition. Shipping is going to be pricey with the handle being so long though.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have factory square jacks,floor jacks,scissor jacks. What I use most often is a factory scissor jack from a Mazda B 2200 pickup. They are gear reduction,have a long crank handle like a square,,lots of lift and plenty sturdy I set in on a 2x8 in sand/dirt/etc. I used it yesterday on my square and actually thought how are people getting hydraulic bottle jacks to lift high enough to get the front tires off,IDK never tried I have three,eyes opened for a forth so I can lift and 4 corner level a car.

Last edited:

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Dang it fellas, I hadn't given any thought to a jack system. The original is long gone, and I have some 20 tonners that I can sacrifice for the cause.

Odds are I'll finish this project first and then can spare one for ole Pearl.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have found the jack sets from the GMT400 trucks to work well.
At the local yard they remove the jacks and sell them in the office, but the rest of the sets are left in the vehicles.

What ever you end up using, strap it down if its in the passenger compartment.
In an accident, those things can ruin your day even more if they get airborne...

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
For $50 you can buy a 12 volt inflater with sealant to get you home and deal with it later. Rollbacks are usually about $120 in my experience. I carry no jacks or spares is any of my trucks. This scenario has become common in new vehicles as well.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ditto, OEM in its home on the PS fender. I do carry a high lift also, its quicker.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ditto, OEM in its home on the PS fender. I do carry a high lift also, its quicker.
How are you using a high lift? I have one but putting it under a square bumper doesn't seem like a good a idea to me. I'd like to know how.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90_burb