Jack question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Apologies in advance for a jack question, but I haven’t seen exactly what I’m asking about.

1. What are the differences in stock engine bay jacks throughout the years? I wouldn’t mind finding one for mine, it’s an ‘81.

2. Do they suck that bad? I’m not totally hung up on using only this- far from it, but I do want to have one in the vehicle and aside from a bottle jack, not sure what would fit behind the seat.

I do like the fact that they appear to have a broad base, and the lift surface has a contour to it to help keep it from slipping. For that reason, I’m less of a fan of a standard bottle jack, since the contact patch is small and often times the shoulder of the road is cambered.

Or any other tidy solutions that don’t take up a lot of space that are a relatively safe option- I’d probably be jacking from the front frame rail or rear axle in a must-do situation. I have tubular a-arms on the front so really no flat surface for support there that I’d consider, and it would likely damage them anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Here’s mine, cant tell you how good it work’s because I’ve never had to use it. I use a Hein Warner floor jack at home.

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 19

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I didn't have any of the jack parts so I have a scissor jack behind the seat, and I installed a shelf using those two bolts. I use it for tools when I'm working on it. May make a bolt on box to hold oil and coolant some day.

Attachments

• Ralph the Chevy c10 - 1 of 1 (3).jpeg
    Ralph the Chevy c10 - 1 of 1 (3).jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 23

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
the older one in the 70s was different looking. Im not looking for a pic of mine but its laying outside my shed in a pile of metal... not sure why. I should get it inside

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
the older one in the 70s was different looking. Im not looking for a pic of mine but its laying outside my shed in a pile of metal... not sure why. I should get it inside
Yes you should. Try to find one. Most are gone. Took years for 2 to show up at the local pull and save. I needed one each for an 81 and 78 they are different. 81 mounts close to firewall on left wheelhouse. Earlier on right wheelhouse behind battery. Not sure if the same on all years.

Attachments

• 100_1501.JPG
    100_1501.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_1502.JPG
    100_1502.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes you should. Try to find one. Most are gone. Took years for 2 to show up at the local pull and save. I needed one each for an 81 and 78 they are different. 81 mounts close to firewall on left wheelhouse. Earlier on right wheelhouse behind battery. Not sure if the same on all years.
yup that looks like mine. okay i will do that tomorrow. yes it mounts behind the battery on passenger side, i have the hold downs . one currently serves as holding a heater hose lol