Plans for the summer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got to thinking that, really, I only drive within county limits. Occasionally I’ll pick up a C/K magazine, and last year read about “C10 on the Capital” or something like that, in Olympia, about 155 miles south of me.

So, the next thought was, what do I need to feel comfortable to go that far, meaning, what to I have yet to do? It will be August and by far the hottest month. Trying to think of most likely things I’ll encounter.

Besides the obvious (tools, spare stuff like an ignition module), this is what I have.

1. I need a spare tire carrier, none present on the truck. While I’m at it, I’d like to find a stock jack setup (at least) for the front fender location. Basically, I need to be able to change a tire roadside.

2. New rear tires

3. Ground clearance. Shorter headers that don’t scrape. Chevelle or Camaro?

4. Sitting in hot traffic - I’d like a heavy duty seven blade fan and a clutch to go with it. But most of the clutches out there are junk at the stores.

5. Assess the rag joint/steering gearbox.

I’ll edit/add as I go along- what else would I be missing or would you take?

I’m going to be so bold as to tag @Elliot W here because behind the scenes, we’ve had discussions about trusting our trucks for longer distances after getting them in the road. Apologies to him if he’s already crested this issue. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts, and don’t hold back- if I’ve already done what you have said, I’ll mention/add that to the discussion.

I figure that if the show sucks and I don’t go back, at least it would be an adventure.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Having confidence in your ride is important I’d say, along with having a general ”shtf” plan.

I got with my 76 to the point I’d check the oil and head off, taken it up to Milwaukee from St. Louis, then down to Branson Missouri the week after. Regardless of what I’m driving somewhere long distance I always keep a fairly comprehensive toolset, lights, jumper cables, spare tire, plan my routes.
My only ”breakdown“ was leaving Milwaukee on 94 the fuel pump started to call it quits (really started on the way to Milwaukee around Starved Rock State park), made it to Bristol, verified it was the pump, called the closest O’Reilly‘s, told them what I needed, they said they could have one in an hour from Kenosha, limped down to Antioch, IL. Got the pump and changed it in the parking lot and finished my day in Crystal Lake. Next morning went through Chicago to drop something off and back home.

You must be registered for see images attach

dhartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
This summer is the plan is to hunker down and get as much done as possible. Now that the major holidays are over the work can begin again.

1) First thing is to get the rear diff cleaned and freshened up. New bearing and seals, a fresh coat of black chassis saver. All new brakes and hardware / hydraulics.

2) Get the frame prepped and painted them start the rebuild of all those components.

3) Would love to get the cab sitting back on the frame to finish start bodywork on the cab. Sitting on the ground not as much fun as it use to be.

yeah yeah i know it doesnt look like that big of a list but time is one's own enemy. Nights and weekends can only do so much. I should do a week's Va K and just put in a great 40 hours. However the better half wants me to spend Va K with her...

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I got to thinking that, really, I only drive within county limits. Occasionally I’ll pick up a C/K magazine, and last year read about “C10 on the Capital” or something like that, in Olympia, about 155 miles south of me.

So, the next thought was, what do I need to feel comfortable to go that far, meaning, what to I have yet to do? It will be August and by far the hottest month. Trying to think of most likely things I’ll encounter.

Besides the obvious (tools, spare stuff like an ignition module), this is what I have.

1. I need a spare tire carrier, none present on the truck. While I’m at it, I’d like to find a stock jack setup (at least) for the front fender location. Basically, I need to be able to change a tire roadside.

2. New rear tires

3. Ground clearance. Shorter headers that don’t scrape. Chevelle or Camaro?

4. Sitting in hot traffic - I’d like a heavy duty seven blade fan and a clutch to go with it. But most of the clutches out there are junk at the stores.

5. Assess the rag joint/steering gearbox.

I’ll edit/add as I go along- what else would I be missing or would you take?

I’m going to be so bold as to tag @Elliot W here because behind the scenes, we’ve had discussions about trusting our trucks for longer distances after getting them in the road. Apologies to him if he’s already crested this issue. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts, and don’t hold back- if I’ve already done what you have said, I’ll mention/add that to the discussion.

I figure that if the show sucks and I don’t go back, at least it would be an adventure.
155 miles? You can push it that far -

;)

When I got my '87 back from my in laws it was in Montana (they had it 18 years).

My wife and I flew out, looked it over and drove it back. 1700 miles, cold turkey.

I brought a couple screwdrivers, a pair of pliers and a flashlight. I needed the flashlight (pre GPS days) but I don't think I used anything else.

K
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you watch any of the "Will this 1931 GMC Chicken Truck Start and Run and Drive 1100 Miles?" type videos, a go bag full of tools and a co pilot is the norm.
As long as you way point the O'Reillys, NAPAs, Auto Zones and Walmarts on your route, you always have safe harbors.
Harbor Freight sells like a 200 piece took kit in a case that a lot of guys use. They are affordable or at least cheaper than a tow service.
I just listed about the worst end of road tripping; something you are already driving should have had regular maintenance, but the rule still applies. Take what you think
you will need and let the parts houses provide the rest.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you watch any of the "Will this 1931 GMC Chicken Truck Start and Run and Drive 1100 Miles?" type videos, a go bag full of tools and a co pilot is the norm.
As long as you way point the O'Reillys, NAPAs, Auto Zones and Walmarts on your route, you always have safe harbors.
Harbor Freight sells like a 200 piece took kit in a case that a lot of guys use. They are affordable or at least cheaper than a tow service.
I just listed about the worst end of road tripping; something you are already driving should have had regular maintenance, but the rule still applies. Take what you think
you will need and let the parts houses provide the rest.
That’s going to be the challenge- once I get to Everett and south through Seattle there will be mostly solid city traffic with very sporadic at best opportunities to find safe harbor- so yep, tool kits and trying to think of as much preventative maintenance as possible prior.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the add Chad. Just like Spencer said, most components can be picked up stock in local stores, and of course consumables (oil, coolant, etc.). Maybe run through the cooling system one last time, check hoses/clamps, see if rad needs replacing if its not keeping the temps down, and thermostat. I got a cheapo radiator with electric fans and it seems to be working fine, just saying no need to spend big money to run well (although reliability has not necessarily been proven over time). Also consider a way to charge your phone since you might be using it for GPS and drain the battery.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
When I first bought my truck, it still had the worn out 305/T350 in it. I started with the usual things, plugs/wires/belts/cap/rotor/ignition module/fuel filter/fresh carb/etc. Then started dailying it to see what else would fail. The fuel pump died in the driveway while it was warming up one morning and the ESC died so we stabbed in a non-ESC dizzy. That and got rid of every bit of the emissions BS. After that, I drove that truck all over the place. Did a couple 4hr one way trips without any issues at all.

I'd say your truck is pretty sorted at this point. Maybe between now and then plan a couple different routes that are ~1hr from home and do those a few times. Creep out a little further each time till you fill comfortable with the longer trips. Especially once it gets warm, go drive into town/wherever the traffic is and stay in it for a while. You'll know pretty quick if the truck will overheat. Mine never did with the factory fan setup, even in the dead of Ga summer heat. Also add some Water Wetter to the coolant, that does wonders for coolant temps.

For headers, I've always seen guys say Chevelle headers tuck nicely. I can't speak from experience though, mine had shorties on it when it was a small block.

I didn't put a spare tire carrier back on my truck cuz once they're lowered, it's really hard to get a spare in and out. I bought a toolbox for mine so I could carry a small jack/spares/tools/fluids and keep them in the bed and secure at all times. Bolted it down using the bed bolts. Then I just throw the spare in the bed and if I'm going to a show, the spare either stays at the hotel/airBNB, in the trailer or gets throw under the back of the truck. I honestly don't even take a spare on alot of my trips, mainly just the >6hr ones.

Definitely inspect/replace the rag joint, that's not something you want to ever fail on ya. The biggest thing is just driving it as often as you can. You know me, I drive mine all across the country lol.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Well a good test is to do a longer drive in your local area and see how it does.

Like @Keith Seymore when i picked mine up i had to send it. My trip was much shorter at ~250 miles though.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Got our 85 diesel running. The wife and I are going from Wa St to Kentucky to help move our niece. Dump all fluids, filters replaced, pack wheel bearings. Maybe have the radiator rodded out. We’re making a “overland” rig out of it. I have been driving it everywhere, hauling, etc. convinced me she is good. I drove my 54 Chevy to Texas, then to mobile, right after the riots in the early 70s. On to Florida. Back home through Alabama, missoire, Colorado and home, in December. Very cold in Colorado. Biggest trouble was the windows fogging up. Picked up two musicians in Gainesville, found then on the ride board at the college, helped pay for gas,(I did not have enough money to get home.) took them to Kalaspel, played at the Fort, (cool place.) left next day for home, made it on Christmas Eve. My mom dreamed I would be home that day. There is much I left out, but roads trips are an adventure, do it b4 you die. The truck will get you there, or you fix it, ( axle came off in Grand Canyon, fixed it and continued on.) Truck had a 235 six. Here is a pic after I swapped a 283 and paint.

Attachments

• 53 chev 1980.jpg
    53 chev 1980.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got our 85 diesel running. The wife and I are going from Wa St to Kentucky to help move our niece. Dump all fluids, filters replaced, pack wheel bearings. Maybe have the radiator rodded out. We’re making a “overland” rig out of it. I have been driving it everywhere, hauling, etc. convinced me she is good. I drove my 54 Chevy to Texas, then to mobile, right after the riots in the early 70s. On to Florida. Back home through Alabama, missoire, Colorado and home, in December. Very cold in Colorado. Biggest trouble was the windows fogging up. Picked up two musicians in Gainesville, found then on the ride board at the college, helped pay for gas,(I did not have enough money to get home.) took them to Kalaspel, played at the Fort, (cool place.) left next day for home, made it on Christmas Eve. My mom dreamed I would be home that day. There is much I left out, but roads trips are an adventure, do it b4 you die. The truck will get you there, or you fix it, ( axle came off in Grand Canyon, fixed it and continued on.) Truck had a 235 six. Here is a pic after I swapped a 283 and paint.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Cool truck, I miss our old ‘54 3100.

I’ve done quite a few road trips across the country, it’s the best. It’s much nicer when you don’t have time as a gun to your head. One of my favorites was traveling from Michigan to Moab, UT, back up through Wyoming and back home.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Good advice in here but one thing I'll add for parts availability at stores. Unless you happen to break down near a hub store for that brand, more than likely the part you need won't be in stock. The smaller stores don't carry alot of stuff for 73-87 an even 88-98 anymore (at least in my local area). The demand for parts on them is falling an they don't have the room to keep them on the shelf.

I only mention it because if you're not traveling with a friend an you wind up far from a hub store or it's in the evening you might not be able to get something you need quickly.

For my trips to longer shows I usually take basic hand tools, maybe a jack (I rarely take a spare tire though) an any part that I know for sure is special order or hard to get. In general though if you drive it regularly an keep up with the maintenance you should be able to drive it anywhere you want without issue. My local group of truck guys an I have gone on lots of trips an only on a few have we ever had issues.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Good advice in here but one thing I'll add for parts availability at stores. Unless you happen to break down near a hub store for that brand, more than likely the part you need won't be in stock. The smaller stores don't carry alot of stuff for 73-87 an even 88-98 anymore (at least in my local area). The demand for parts on them is falling an they don't have the room to keep them on the shelf.

I only mention it because if you're not traveling with a friend an you wind up far from a hub store or it's in the evening you might not be able to get something you need quickly.

For my trips to longer shows I usually take basic hand tools, maybe a jack (I rarely take a spare tire though) an any part that I know for sure is special order or hard to get. In general though if you drive it regularly an keep up with the maintenance you should be able to drive it anywhere you want without issue. My local group of truck guys an I have gone on lots of trips an only on a few have we ever had issues.
Thanks, bud! I do have a set of tools behind the seat, and a spare ignition module in the glove box. I really have no fancy equipment in the engine or drivetrain, everything is pretty much standard. So I’m not so worried about that, and just about everything has been replaced or rebuilt. The spare tire is a bigger question, I’d like to have one, but then again, how would I store it? And I don’t want it just flopping around in the bed when I’m on the interstate. That said, I travel thousands of miles a year on this same stretch of highway and I’ve never had a flat. But now I’ve jinxed myself.

The next thing on the list is a new set of rear tires, front are new. Just saving up for those currently, and after that it’ll just be buttoning things up for my first long trip. Currently looking locally for a space efficient option for a jack; used to have a compact hydraulic jack but got rid of it- wish I’d kept it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507