Pitman Arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Those things are usually like an anvil, ya cant really muck one up, is there a reason you need a stock one? It will more than likely be a junkyard part, and they'll wanna sell you the whole steering gear usually. If your drag link is at an angle instead of level you may benefit from the drop pitman arm skyjacker makes, you'll gain back a little bit of steering radius.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Summit has one in stock , part # sja-ca50 , 116.11 plus shipping , for 2.5 lift to 4' lift , looks like your springs are at least 2.5 , I have that arm on three of my trucks and they are good quality.
:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Lowered4Life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a 4" lift with a raised steering arm. There was a clunking sound coming from the pitman arm and i've already replace the whole gear box so I don't think it was that bc the clunk is still there and there is also alot of play In the steering.

Lowered4Life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
but the play in the steering is probably from the gear box not being adjusted properly

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Your steering shaft is probably the source for a lot of the play as well as the adjustment.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not even finding a Moog part # for the K10 pitman arm. Hirsch may have the right idea to go with the skyjacker arm. Best of luck with that. Let us know what you find out. Whooda Thunk a pitman arm would be such a headache to find.
We sure apprecirate you 2 newbies jumping right in with some valuable topics and info. :waytogo:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Check your ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, drag link ends, and check your frame for stress cracks where the steering box bolts on. Does it happen in 4WD only or any time? If 4WD only it could be an axleshaft joint, ring and pinion might have too much backlash, or the pinion nut is loose. Further into it, it could be the front d-shaft u-joints as well. My first guess would be ball joints though.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
but the play in the steering is probably from the gear box not being adjusted properly

Yes that can be but be carefull adjusting the box , (a little is a lot ).Also I have had a broken centering pin on the leaf spring (Box side)that was a problem before as welll on lifted chevys. Did you check your frame for ovaled out holes or cracks when you did the steering box?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Your steering shaft is probably the source for a lot of the play as well as the adjustment.

I'd say both of these issues are worth checking into if your problem is a clunk and loose steering. Was the steering arm replaced with the lift kit??? Usually needs to be done. When you say 4inch lift, is it a real 4 inch kit or using 52 inch rear springs up front? As far as pitman arm, the only wearing part is at the stud at the steering arm end, so that does not leave alot of room for error even if it the stud is worn. I have a feeling replacing the pitman arm will not fix your problem. You'd think the steering box was lash adjusted at the factory when rebuilt or built, but fine tuning may need to be done. Maybe its just the need for the steering arm for lift kit is needed? That's why I ask if had been replaced with the lift kit.

Lowered4Life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
the clunking is in low speeds, sharp turns or when your stopped and turning the wheel and I have located it to be in the gear box pitman arm area. I'm headed to the shop now bc this has been driving me nuts. I'll let you know if I find anything else. Thanks for the help

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
the clunking is in low speeds, sharp turns or when your stopped and turning the wheel and I have located it to be in the gear box pitman arm area. I'm headed to the shop now bc this has been driving me nuts. I'll let you know if I find anything else. Thanks for the help

Have someone steer the wheel lock to lock and look at the top plate of the u-bolts , if the center pin is broke the top plate will pop when it slides back and fouth one top of the leafs ( had this happen on two of my chevys)

Lowered4Life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
omg ....im such a retard! I'm at the shop looking at it and it's a the tie rod ends on the connecting rod that needs to be replaced. Looking at the pictures online got me confused looking at the 2wd arm. Sorry for my stupidness you can blame it on me being a girl! But I know excatly what's wrong now!

Lowered4Life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
well thanks I have to say I never heard that one before!

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
omg ....im such a retard! I'm at the shop looking at it and it's a the tie rod ends on the connecting rod that needs to be replaced. Looking at the pictures online got me confused looking at the 2wd arm. Sorry for my stupidness you can blame it on me being a girl! But I know excatly what's wrong now!

I am glad you found the problem , tie rods , no big deal (We all have those moments)

:grd::grd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade