Undertightened cork gasket on TH350 and whole thing flooded, clean and reuse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Previously used a Moroso metal core gasket with a new steel pan and overtightened it. Decided to try a Mahle metal core cork one instead as I read cork is more forgiving. Took the time to hammer down the bolt holes and flatten the steel pan and then unfortunately was gunshy about tightening the bolts. As soon as I put new ATF in the entire seam started pouring out fluid.

My question is, is that cork gasket ruined now or can I clean everything up, install it again with a bit more torque, and try again?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I hate cork gaskets. My 2 cents. I don't run cork so I don't really know but you should be able to clean it up. It'll end up leaking anyways!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
^Agreed, I hate cork as well. Every T350 I've worked on, we used a metal core gasket and put RTV on both sides.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I’ve gone to using LubeLockers on my transmission pans and diff covers and so far I like them. More costly than other gaskets but they are reusable and made in the USA.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I've had cork gasket problems on a 400.
What I did was a thin layer of Trans rtv on both sides and let it sit a few minutes then tightened. Stopped its drip issue.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Over tightening can warp the pan, too, good thing you under tightened instead of the former. It's a very low torque spec on the pan bolts, I think 12 ft/lb.

Kheughens

Reaction score
First Name
kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I used both cork and rubber gasket but still had small leak issues (possibly pan slightly bent). I friend told me to ditch the gasket and just use permatext without the gasket. Worked flawlessly! No leaks! And cheaper.

bft305

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have used both and they all leaked, tried flattening it out and no luck. Finally just used a silicone gasket and transmission gasket maker on both sides and no leaks yet.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I used both cork and rubber gasket but still had small leak issues (possibly pan slightly bent). I friend told me to ditch the gasket and just use permatext without the gasket. Worked flawlessly! No leaks! And cheaper.
Not recommended, but if your pan is bent and can't be straightened, this is an alternative.

tenthirtytwo

Reaction score
First Name
Pdub
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The only time that I use a cork gasket is on an overhaul, meaning that everything is bone dry after a rebuild. On a trans service (fluid change) I'd only use the fiber/composite gaskets. It's been my experience that it's impossible to drain all of the fluid on a service. The residual fluid dripping from the trans will wet the cork gasket in ATF. Tightening the ATF saturated cork gasket almost always squishes the cork out as you tighten the pan bolts.
Edit: Someone mentioned flattening the pan. Sometimes the bolt holes in the pan need to be hammered down a bit. They can get a raised dimple around the bolt holes from over-tightening. You can set the edge of the pain on the edge of a bench, tap the pan rail (the surface that mates to the transmission case) at the bolt holes down flat with the pan rail.

Last edited:

tenthirtytwo

Reaction score
First Name
Pdub
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Previously used a Moroso metal core gasket with a new steel pan and overtightened it. Decided to try a Mahle metal core cork one instead as I read cork is more forgiving. Took the time to hammer down the bolt holes and flatten the steel pan and then unfortunately was gunshy about tightening the bolts. As soon as I put new ATF in the entire seam started pouring out fluid.

My question is, is that cork gasket ruined now or can I clean everything up, install it again with a bit more torque, and try again?
IMO, once the cork gasket gets saturated with ATF, it's unusable..

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Update. Spent a good deal of time flattening the pan and hammering down the bolt holes. Reinstalled the pan with the Moroso metal core gasket and tightened them incrementally and staggered to 6.5 foot pounds. (Moroso emailed me and said to tighten between 80-90 inch pounds, so I figured 6.5 foot pounds was fine). Two weeks later and no leaks! Thanks all for the help.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Glad it worked out

Latest posts