Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So then, pretty much, and Diesel from 91 up to 94 that has a 4L80-E, has a standalone ECM for the 4L80-E?!?! As bucket says, if that secret is out, it would be hard to find in a wrecking yard since they are likley gone, but its sure something to keep an eye out for.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh, and I'd imagine is still uses VSS since Speedo's were electronic by then right??? So then he'd need to get a VSS capable Tcase. I think NP241C is where those start.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
How hard would it be then to go the 47RH Dodge trans? Obviously it will bolt up to the motor. But what about shift linkage and Tcase? Dodge used the same Tcases with same passenger side drop Tcases? The 47RH is non electronic other than the TCC lockup and the Overdrive Unit can be enabled or disapbled by a push button switch.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/47RH.html

The problem would be he would need to get the dodge adapter for the cummins. i thought Dodge was using DS Drop transfer cases too?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yep, might be worth checking trucks and vans from that era for the bits when scrounging the yards...Worth flipping maybe, anyway.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Oh, and I'd imagine is still uses VSS since Speedo's were electronic by then right??? So then he'd need to get a VSS capable Tcase. I think NP241C is where those start.

Could he use the tailshaft and housing from a 241C in a stronger case?

Though the 241C was used behind the diesel and turbo diesel 4x4....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The problem would be he would need to get the dodge adapter for the cummins. i thought Dodge was using DS Drop transfer cases too?

Hell, I don't even know if Dodge changed like GM did. But I was certain, Dodge is PS drop and Ford was DS drop. You mean that 47RH doesn't already have the Cummins Bell Housing? I'm thinking it should, it whats comes in the Dodge 2500 and 3500 trucks with the Cummins originally, and why I suggested it. It obviously should be strong enough if that's what Dodge uses OEM. It was just a thought. Thinking about this though is making my head hurt. Being sick and taking meds my thinking is jacked up the last few days.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Hell, I don't even know if Dodge changed like GM did. But I was certain, Dodge is PS drop and Ford was DS drop. You mean that 47RH doesn't already have the Cummins Bell Housing? I'm thinking it should, it whats comes in the Dodge 2500 and 3500 trucks with the Cummins originally, and why I suggested it. It obviously should be strong enough if that's what Dodge uses OEM. It was just a thought. Thinking about this though is making my head hurt. Being sick and taking meds my thinking is jacked up the last few days.

the cummins have removable bellhousing adapters. The OP is using an aftermarket adapter for the chevrolet bolt pattern. But it wouldnt be to hard to find the dodge adapter because it was Original equipment I have seen them sell pretty cheap at times.

I not positive on what side dodge drops either I was thinking they were like Ford but I could be wrong.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know I was failry certain Dodge was PS drop, but now you have me so confused, I think I better count to 10 before I post too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Could he use the tailshaft and housing from a 241C in a stronger case?

Though the 241C was used behind the diesel and turbo diesel 4x4....

I don't think so. I do not beleive they are interchangeable. I've heard NP241C is maybe a hair stronger or better than the NP208. How true? I'm uncertain. I've also been told they are equal in strength, one has a tad deeper crawl ratio is all. Oh, and the NP241C apparnetly has a better oiling system in it. :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, the 241 is supposed to be slightly stronger than the 208... and a direct replacement to boot. I may be wrong, but I think Dodge went DS drop with the new trucks in '94. I have no idea if the Dodge T-cases have the same mounting pattern and input spline count as GM. I doubt it though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, the 241 is supposed to be slightly stronger than the 208... and a direct replacement to boot. I may be wrong, but I think Dodge went DS drop with the new trucks in '94. I have no idea if the Dodge T-cases have the same mounting pattern and input spline count as GM. I doubt it though.

I do beleive you are right about the 241C being a direct reaplacement for the NP 208. And I knew the 241C had a better oiling feature but thought they were lateral in strength. I am suprised C4 hasn't confirmed or denied the dropside on the Dodges. He'd be the one to know for certain.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks Retro. Yep, seems Dodge liked to follow GM around. GM changed to DS drop, so it took Dodge a few more years to do the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade