Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
hmmmm, I've not see it many times. But I do know the bushing I replace it with in the rebuild kits its wider but never knew it to be a common problem at all. I didn't know what caused it, but I was aware SOME, T400 can get the hardened seal edge and actually cut a groove in the TC snout, and why I suggested using the washers so the TC would ride in a differant portion of the snout where the current position maybe grooved from the previous hardened seal. I have actually fixed leaking front seals by doing the washer trick. It can actually buy you 10-20K miles and by the time maybe its time for a trans rebuild or, at worst, pull the trans anyway and fix it right with new bushing, and seal, then do the washer trick with 3 washers. I suggest that cuz he said he already had the seal replaced and its still leaking. Likley cuz of a ridge in the TC snout from the previous seal. Intersting to learn a ground strap is what causes the seal hardening. Now you know that seal had to get pretty damn hard to cut a groove in a TC snout. And we're talking a rubber seal getting that hard and sharp. But, the same thing also happens on pinions seals too, cutting a groove in the pinion gear. The fix that is an oversise seal and a bushing slid over the pinion gear shaft. Good as new again.

Yea I know what you are saying with the washers, and to be honest there has been a few times when i would get out of towners have the problem and couldnt afford to fix it right nor did they want to be stuck in a motel for a day so I went ahead and shimmed the converter back to get a seal to get them on the road again, I cant say how long they made it but they wanted to try so they were on there way.

BTW I hate dis agreeing with you when it comes to Trans because I do know you are experienced with them, but this time I figured ide learn you something too :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know what we are disagreeing about. I have just not experienced alot of leaking front seals do to bushings, I have seen several with that hardened seal that cut a groove into the snout of the TC which is likely caused by the Electrical issue you brought up which I was unaware was to blame for the grooving. Nice to know what cuases it. I assumed it was age of the seal since Th400's can last a very long time. Also if the vehcile sat for a long time the seal could harden. Never gave much thought to what causes the seal to harden. And the shimming of the TC is just trick to buy many thousands of miles. I wouldn't call it a permanent fix, but I call it a fix for a long time. And like I said, a person could get 10-20K miles out of the shim job, then after that decide its time for a full rebuild and all problems rectified at that time. So what are we disagreeing about?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And getting back on topic here since we waivered a little about the Th400 that is the problem and OP is looking for a OD solution that makes the Th400 problem moot. :beatdeadhorse5:

So, learning something new everyday, today I learned 4L80-E comes in a 91 3/4 ton Burb which is a Squarebody and a TBI ECM. You know for the price of the aftermarket electornics to operate a 4L80-E standalone, how about convert your 82 to 91 TBI and 4L80-E??? Sure its gonna be a little costly and some work, but I think you'd gain alot other than just an OD. :shrug: Just a thought. :grd:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
And getting back on topic here since we waivered a little about the Th400 that is the problem and OP is looking for a OD solution that makes the Th400 problem moot. :beatdeadhorse5:

So, learning something new everyday, today I learned 4L80-E comes in a 91 3/4 ton Burb which is a Squarebody and a TBI ECM. You know for the price of the aftermarket electornics to operate a 4L80-E standalone, how about convert your 82 to 91 TBI and 4L80-E??? Sure its gonna be a little costly and some work, but I think you'd gain alot other than just an OD. :shrug: Just a thought. :grd:

lol that would be a slight step DOWN well i guess he could do it for just a stand alone controller but he already has a 12 valve cummins in it :roflbow: Hey I got the perfect solution I will trade you my truck for yours, I already put the 4l80E in it and I also have 4:56 gears installed lol you could push all the snow you wanted with it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
lol that would be a slight step DOWN well i guess he could do it for just a stand alone controller but he already has a 12 valve cummins in it :roflbow: Hey I got the perfect solution I will trade you my truck for yours, I already put the 4l80E in it and I also have 4:56 gears installed lol you could push all the snow you wanted with it.

Yikes !!! OH HELL !!! No that would be more than just a step down. That would be suicide. I forgot about the Cummins. No, be best for the Stand Alone computer for the trans. I know Compushift if name of one company that does them I think TCI makes a unit too, or at least has their name on a unit. Very well could be the same Compushift unit and TCI has their name on it.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Hell no for trade!!! I am gonna try to get the truck delievered back to my home base here in a few days. A friend of mine is gonna help me take the trans down etc. I have to pay attention and see if i can find anything wrong.

Chris

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Hell no for trade!!! I am gonna try to get the truck delievered back to my home base here in a few days. A friend of mine is gonna help me take the trans down etc. I have to pay attention and see if i can find anything wrong.

Chris

LMAO yea I didnt figured youde wanna do that lol cant blame a guy for trying

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Na your right man,... gotta give you credit for that. I wish i owned a roll back so I can go get it. Another little update, guy said 1500 bucks for a fully built 700R4... I am not sure why he believes it can handle the power and why everyone else says no...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Na your right man,... gotta give you credit for that. I wish i owned a roll back so I can go get it. Another little update, guy said 1500 bucks for a fully built 700R4... I am not sure why he believes it can handle the power and why everyone else says no...

Because the 700r4 is not optimal. I have a little more faith in it than most people if its built right. You can put 700r4's into race cars with over 700hp and they can work fine. But, you are going to be working this truck, day in, day out and its going to be working 100% of the time, where in a race car, its only tolerating the abuse when going down the track. So you can get 2-5 years use out of it in a race car, but when working it 100% of the time, who knows maybe only 2-5 weeks or months. And it might just go forever too. :shrug:

I'd love more than anything for this guy to give you a detailed list of what upgrades he is going to do to it. Is he willing to give a warranty with it in that vehicle??? If he's willing to warranty it for a year, I'd give it a try. Give the guy a chance to back up what he says he can do. If he does, and provides a good trans that holds up, can you imagine the work that guy would have from just word of mouth???

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
HotRod,

I am gonna see if he can get me list of the parts. I will post them on here. I am not sure about a warranty but I WANT ONE!!! If he can be built right and last he would look extremely good. Also i would need a 208 transfer case if i go with a 700R4. I am not doubting the guy, he does some awesome work. Just seems that my truck is cursed

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HotRod,

I am gonna see if he can get me list of the parts. I will post them on here. I am not sure about a warranty but I WANT ONE!!! If he can be built right and last he would look extremely good. Also i would need a 208 transfer case if i go with a 700R4. I am not doubting the guy, he does some awesome work. Just seems that my truck is cursed

What Tcase do you have now??? Run it !!! Don't let someone tell you that you can't run a NP203 or NP205 with a 700r4. Anything a Th350 will fit, will fit a 700r4. I know for a fact NP203 and NP205 were ran behind Th350 transmissions so all you have to do is find an adapter from whatever Tcase you have now, to the Th350 and it will bolt right on the 700r4. :waytogo:
I'll also add, for your core if you are willing to try this, settle for nothing less than an 88-92 Case, and better yet a K case. K case is most common in the 4x4's and it just means the bolt bosses around the bell housing are tougher. You're gonna need all the edge you can get running a 700r4 with all the torque of a Cummings, but I think it can be done. Especially with 4.10 or 4.56 gears helping take some of the strain off the trans.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Don't do the 700r4. It's not up to the task, no matter how well it's built. It will die a quick death behind a cummins.

I used to be a big fan of the 700r4, I've had a couple built up by a very good local tranny shop. One was in my Camaro, it only lasted a couple seasons before something in it broke. It's only in the 320 HP range (maybe more, maybe less). The other 700r4 is in my '88 Burb with stock 350. There's a ton of HD parts in the tranny and it gets the job done, but you HAVE to keep an eye on the tranny temp gauge. It's pretty easy to get it cooking hot while pulling a load or going up a long hill at highway speeds. Sure, better gearing and a bigger cooler would help... but it's just a 350. Put a ton more torque in front of it, it will go kablooey.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I was explaining to pops the other day that diesels up to 1994 were still mechanically injected...And had the option of a 4L80E as I recall....Therefore, they would have a standalone ECM?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was explaining to pops the other day that diesels up to 1994 were still mechanically injected...And had the option of a 4L80E as I recall....Therefore, they would have a standalone ECM?

Yep, that's correct. Problem is they aren't that common (in relation to the gassers) and the word is out that they can be used to control the tranny in swaps. They may be expensive now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How hard would it be then to go the 47RH Dodge trans? Obviously it will bolt up to the motor. But what about shift linkage and Tcase? Dodge used the same Tcases with same passenger side drop Tcases? The 47RH is non electronic other than the TCC lockup and the Overdrive Unit can be enabled or disapbled by a push button switch.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/47RH.html