My other pride and joy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
LOL! That's funny, maybe your right. I guess I set myself up for that one.
As long as you realize you are semi ashamed of your purchase lol. I drive one everyday but it’s a company vehicle and my Exploder was free.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Have you done a timing belt on this car yet, or know when it was last done? They are a hoot to drive, and a fresh belt with good timing seems to give them a lot more zip.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
You’re welcome. Good luck!
I thought you might enjoy this, a little rusty but overall a solid K5 down at the Des Moines Wrench N Go. Luckily it was saved from the crusher and sold to a customer. Love the factory alloys, that's why I put them on my truck. I think it's a 1990.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
As long as you realize you are semi ashamed of your purchase lol. I drive one everyday but it’s a company vehicle and my Exploder was free.
I just hope it lasts as long as my old 94 Silverado. Had it for 12 years and almost 395,000 miles! Finally rusted to pieces. Thanks Iowa road salt.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Have you done a timing belt on this car yet, or know when it was last done? They are a hoot to drive, and a fresh belt with good timing seems to give them a lot more zip.
No I haven't yet. I've been told before to change it by the W-Body.com guys. I did learn that luckily if the belt lets go the motor won't destroy itself, it will just stop running. The later cars would detonate themselves and the valves would hit the piston when the belt breaks. Interference motor vs a non interference motor. The motor cranks over so that's a good sign that the belt is ok for now. I will definitely do the belt and all other routine maintenance before I drive it regularly. I want to get it at least running for now and make sure all it's vitals are good before I fix any other issues and make it reliable and healthy.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
No I haven't yet. I've been told before to change it by the W-Body.com guys. I did learn that luckily if the belt lets go the motor won't destroy itself, it will just stop running. The later cars would detonate themselves and the valves would hit the piston when the belt breaks. Interference motor vs a non interference motor. The motor cranks over so that's a good sign that the belt is ok for now. I will definitely do the belt and all other routine maintenance before I drive it regularly. I want to get it at least running for now and make sure all it's vitals are good before I fix any other issues and make it reliable and healthy.
Check for a Gates Racing belt. They are blue. They are Kevlar reinforced.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Thanks for the tip, actually one of the Gates production plants is not too far from me.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for the tip, actually one of the Gates production plants is not too far from me.
Anymore that’s all I use. They are a bit more expensive, but Kevlar. Lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yeah, I got my first one real cheap (a '93 Z34) because the timing belt let go and the owner thought the motor was toast. After some research, I found out it was probably ok. Got a new belt, tensioner and idlers from GM and got it going like new again. It needed intake gaskets too, they were causing a major vacuum leak.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Maybe the service/replace intervals will be longer too.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Yeah, I got my first one real cheap (a '93 Z34) because the timing belt let go and the owner thought the motor was toast. After some research, I found out it was probably ok. Got a new belt, tensioner and idlers from GM and got it going like new again. It needed intake gaskets too, they were causing a major vacuum leak.
I've heard about the vacuum leaks too along with the distributor O ring. It's leaking oil so that's on the to do list. I'm definitely replacing the idlers and tensioner when I'm in there doing the belt.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've heard about the vacuum leaks too along with the distributor O ring. It's leaking oil so that's on the to do list.

I never tackled the o-ring. The one cylinder head hangs over top of it. I've had 3 of those engines, luckily never had the o-ring leak badly on any of them.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
I guess that's the one area these motors like to leak from, so I'm assuming but not sure that's where it's leaking from. I'm excited to test out the fuel pump and start diagnosing the no start issue but I also want to get the old 87 GMC together first.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I thought you might enjoy this, a little rusty but overall a solid K5 down at the Des Moines Wrench N Go. Luckily it was saved from the crusher and sold to a customer. Love the factory alloys, that's why I put them on my truck. I think it's a 1990.

That is really nice. The rust could be a lot worse, and I think that'd be a good project for someone, and it probably wouldn’t take too long to restore it to its former glory. I like the factory alloy wheels, too. I don’t think they put a wheel on any of the squares from the factory that I didn’t like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef