MagnaFlow vs Flowmaster vs Straight Pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's pretty great!

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I think I may go with Pypes M80

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 383, Headers, and these Magnaflows

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...=1-1&keywords=MagnaFlow+10416+Exhaust+Muffler

They are not what I would consider loud at all at idle, and they don't seem very loud cruising on the highway at normal speeds. They are ridiculously loud once I get on the gas. Really anything from 3k rpm and up is very loud. Loud enough I worry a bit if a cop is near me. I like the sound at idle but there is something about the sound when they are opened up that I don't like (not just meaning volume).

I was surprised to read on here that some guys like the Flowmasters but not Magnaflow due to drone. My experience was just the opposite. I had a 2004 Dodge the previous owner installed Flowmasters on, I really liked them, except at highway speeds. 65-75 mph had a ridiculous drone in the truck that drove me crazy.

I'm going to change what I have now even though they don't have many miles on them. Not sure what I am changing to yet. I don't want super quiet, but these are a bit much.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I have a 383, Headers, and these Magnaflows

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...=1-1&keywords=MagnaFlow+10416+Exhaust+Muffler

They are not what I would consider loud at all at idle, and they don't seem very loud cruising on the highway at normal speeds. They are ridiculously loud once I get on the gas. Really anything from 3k rpm and up is very loud. Loud enough I worry a bit if a cop is near me. I like the sound at idle but there is something about the sound when they are opened up that I don't like (not just meaning volume).

I was surprised to read on here that some guys like the Flowmasters but not Magnaflow due to drone. My experience was just the opposite. I had a 2004 Dodge the previous owner installed Flowmasters on, I really liked them, except at highway speeds. 65-75 mph had a ridiculous drone in the truck that drove me crazy.

I'm going to change what I have now even though they don't have many miles on them. Not sure what I am changing to yet. I don't want super quiet, but these are a bit much.
I have some drone with the MF XL I have under the Square, but it sounds good. Though you'll get high on fumes REAL quick!!:anitoof::happy175::happy107::Pshyco:

Gdub

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

It all depends on what model of Flowmasters. The Super 10s, 40 series, and Super 44s have the classic loud Flowmaster sound and are known for the drone. But if you get into the Super 50s, 60, and 70 series, they are relatively quiet and drone-free.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not even sure which ones they were. You could certainly hear them if I was accelerating. I liked everything about them, except how they sounded in the truck at highway speeds, which sucked because I was on the road with that truck a lot.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm not even sure which ones they were. You could certainly hear them if I was accelerating. I liked everything about them, except how they sounded in the truck at highway speeds, which sucked because I was on the road with that truck a lot.
Where did they exit?

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Where did they exit?

Stock location, out the back. At the time, I was driving 200 miles a day for work. Really annoying. Once I had them swapped out, the truck was great. Didn't sound as cool idling but well worth it.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
What trim did the dodge have and where was the muffler placed?

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Stock location, out the back. At the time, I was driving 200 miles a day for work. Really annoying. Once I had them swapped out, the truck was great. Didn't sound as cool idling but well worth it.
Where was the muffler and what trim pack was it? I have an idea of why.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I chose 2.5" Flowmaster in the 90s. 40 series,dual outlet, with four fiberglass packed resonators, for my HOTROD that came off a Corvette. Installed H pipe. It's LOUD and I paid the ticket to prove it, when I was 20.

"Illegal/defective exhaust".

I never like the sound of magnas since they came out. I find it "confused" and annoying.
In the '00s I bought 2.25" Dynomax Super-Turbos and started running tailpipes. Lol.

Overly loud exhaust systems on a bone-stock pile of plastic garbage is NOT COOL.

There is ONE of those Dynomax mufflers on my C20 now, it's exhaust is completed with aluminized pipe. Single outlet in front of PASSENGER SIDE tire. (curb side) I put the other one on a GFs Maxima. It sounded awesome and i believe freed up some ponies over stock.

In the future, the K5 has "generic" turbo looking mufflerS on it. I wish the sides were connected. I will run them as long as possible and get my exhaust guy to make an H. The name on the muffler doesn't make a **** to me anymore. I'll probably run ONE Dynomax ULTRA-FLO when I change the pipes and skip the necessity of an additional H pipe. For now, there's no reason not to connect the sides with what's on it.

DEFINATELY run aluminized.
DEFINATELY run an H.
DEFINATELY coat the headers.
DEFINATELY make sure you've got the balls under the hood to back up whatever you choose.
If you engine makes 400 horse then ya, you actually NEED 2.5" pipe. But not otherwise...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You must be registered for see images attach
Hey it exits the body lmao

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Where was the muffler and what trim pack was it? I have an idea of why.

It was a Quad Cab SLT. Im not 100 percent sure on exact location of the mufflers. Trying to find a pic I had.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You must be registered for see images attach
Hey it exits the body lmao
Pretty badass actually... has grown on me. Must pis a lot of people off... the one's that need it anyway. Almost should be a diesel
to roll coal in their faces...
Or at least a 496 eh bro?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD