Does it matter where this spring connects?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spookee

Reaction score
First Name
hannah and pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi! We previously had issues with our transmission and got it rebuilt a few months ago. So we are pretty nervous about messing it up! Does it matter where this spring connects? The carb was cleaned over the weekend and when we picked it up the spring was connected at the bottom of the metal piece, but before it had been connected in the loop. We are so new to classic trucks and I really don’t know much beyond what I can find on YouTube or the shop manual so I’m hoping wiser minds can give me some input. Thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 27

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Just a throttle return spring. No right way, as long as it returns the throttle properly, so it doesn't get stuck at wide open. It's all your personal preference on how stiff you want the throttle to be. It should be fine either way, looks like there's still tension.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yes, it does matter, improper tension and or orientation of throttle return springs wear out the throttle shaft bushings. What carbureator ? On what truck? Better pic,no air cleaner. And proper it would be 2 springs 1 inside the other,not for additional tension but as a redundant spring. Hard to explain but imagine a tug of war both sides pulling on the same rope. You want your return spring pulling straight through as an extension of the throttle cable so the spring is pulling the throttle cable ,the cable is pulling the spring the carbureator throttle is just along for the ride. That minimizes the pressure on the throttle shaft bushings.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Meh. Every single one of these trucks that isn't pristine, has a different return spring and placement. Aftermarket carbs, aftermarket spring brackets. Most adjustable... run it. That's exactly how mine is setup, I have a mechanical throttle linkage, ran it like that with the stock cable. My 79 is also the same, not my doing.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Unless its a 20# spring, it's a moot point
Yes it does matter improper tension and or orientation of throttlecreturn springs wear out the throttle shaft bushings. What carbureator ? On what truck? Better pic,no air cleaner. And proper it would be 2 springs 1 inside the other,not for additional tension but as a redundant spring. Hard to explain but imagine a tug of war both sides pulling on the same rope. You want your return spring pulling straight through as an extension of the throttle cable so the spring is pulling the throttle cable ,the cable is pulling the spring the carbureator throttle us just along for the ride. That minimizes the pressure on the throttle shaft bushings.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Best example I can show, and there are plenty of people that will argue the spring arrangement wears out bushings. Pic 1 demonstrates the straight pull . Cable pulling spring,spring pulling cable. No stress on throttle shaft. Pic 2 represents the spring I'd use and the type bracket I'd fabricate to get the spring into the correct plane.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-29_081957.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-29_081957.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_2024-04-29_081940.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-29_081940.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 16

Mike_82_Shortbox

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
400ci
Well, Ricko is right, mechanically, and from an engineering standpoint, what he describes is exactly how the system should work. Functionally, if you have the spring a little bit off-center, pulling down on the shaft at the same time it pulls the throttle cable forward, then you are exerting additional and unfair pressure on the shaft bushings.

Having said that, functionally, in your lifetime, it probably won't cause you problems to do it however you like.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Best example I can show, and there are plenty of people that will argue the spring arrangement wears out bushings. Pic 1 demonstrates the straight pull . Cable pulling spring,spring pulling cable. No stress on throttle shaft. Pic 2 represents the spring I'd use and the type bracket I'd fabricate to get the spring into the correct plane.
You must be registered for see images attach

So really I should have used the top opening on the bracket to get that spring more in line yes?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Not arguing right or wrong. I didn't disagree that it would probably cause premature wear. Simply stating that it won't matter. Not enough wear fast enough. Carbs aren't daily driven by 98% of people so it's irrelevant. Thats my argument. They'll either be dead or swap the carb out before it ever wears out.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

So really I should have used the top opening on the bracket to get that spring more in line yes?
Raise it and decrease the tension on those springs.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Not arguing right or wrong. I didn't disagree that it would probably cause premature wear. Simply stating that it won't matter. Not enough wear fast enough. Carbs aren't daily driven by 98% of people ,so it's irrelevant. Thats my argument. They'll either be dead or swap the carb out before it ever wears out.
Edit, I reread your post,now I understand your thinking. I was reading it as carbs aren't daily driven by 98% of people,of course not everythi gs injected now. You meant carbs aren't daily driven by 98% of people that have carbs. In that situation you're right if it only gets driven 50 times a year,they probably will not wear out. I left what I had written below this. I still DD carbureated junk,and I think anyone who is going to D.D. one should set it up the best they can.
As a professional I have replaced at minimum dozens of carbureators that worn out throttle bushing were the deciding factor . And see how many people on the internet on every forumn have questions and problems with throttle shaft bushings. Holley offers a repair kit,there's kits for quadrajets everywhere. These bushings do wear out,why aggravate the situation?It's just as easy to set it up right,straight line pull,minimum spring tension. The carbureator itself doesn't even need a return spring it's already there. They close by them selves on the bench,you are returning the cable or other linkage,as well as providing a redundant method of throttle closure. I'm curious,why did the O.P replace his edelbrock with another edelbrock if the throttle shafts were tight it should have just need a kit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels