Header back exhaust fitment for C20 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheC5Surgeon

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Further planning out the build while the block is at the machine shop. I want to go with long tube headers, maybe a set off of summit, so I will need to replace the exhaust as well. Does anyone know of a good header back system for the 1976 c20 big block burb? The flowmaster #17742 says it fits that year C20 per summits site but not the burb. Called flowmaster and they said it is actually for 73-74 C20 and would probably need some modification to fit the burb but he didn't sound like he really knew from experience. Does anyone have any advice of which direction to go?
Hooker also makes # 7501HKR which is specifically for my year burb but its not for the big block truck. I wonder how much difference there is in fitment for the small vs big block pipes?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have tried to look for a kit for our truck and they are not quite what we have been looking for.
I will most likely end up buying a universal kit and cut and fit it to the truck.
That way it will be just what I want and not a compromise.

We have 1968-1972 Nova headers on our big block and they fit excellent.
They tuck up in the chassis and not even the collector hangs below the chassis.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I have car bbc long tubes on my 79 c10, I had to heat and bend 1 collector down a little so it wouldn't be all in the crossmember

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I did the 2.25" universal Flowmaster kit 15935 and it had plenty of pipe to do a long bed or burb. The same kit in 2.5" would be 15936 & for 2.5" stainless its 815936. Being universal kits there is a little more work figuring out where everything should go and building hangers but it was a fun project. It also leaves muffler choice wide open to pick whatever you want instead of being stuck with what comes in a specific kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

TheC5Surgeon

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did the 2.25" universal Flowmaster kit 15935 and it had plenty of pipe to do a long bed or burb. The same kit in 2.5" would be 15936 & for 2.5" stainless its 815936. Being universal kits there is a little more work figuring out where everything should go and building hangers but it was a fun project. It also leaves muffler choice wide open to pick whatever you want instead of being stuck with what comes in a specific kit.

Looks very clean I like it. Is that kit a weld together or slip fit?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Is there a particular universal kit you have in mind?
I have not settled on a singular kit at this time.
We are going with a 3" kit as this truck will only get more horsepower, not less.
It currently has a scabbed together 2-1/2" set up under it and it sounds pretty good so far.

I bought Max my son a welder and now we play with the exhaust on all of our vehicles more than I thought we ever would.
There is a stack of mufflers out there as well as random junkyard tubes for building what he wants.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Looks very clean I like it. Is that kit a weld together or slip fit?
All of the pieces except the cross over option were bell flanged for slip fit and probably could have been clamped together. The collector flange for your application would probably need welding too.

I welded all of my joints and added a few V-band clamps to ease disassembly.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I've always just taken my trucks to the exhaust shop cuz it was close to the same price as one of those kits, is less headache and is custom made for the truck. My current exhaust has band clamps at the headers, a center X-pipe section and then v-bands for the rear. That way I can disassemble if needed

TheC5Surgeon

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
hmm that seems like a reasonable option also. I would have thought a shop would charge a arm and leg for a custom exhaust but maybe ill call to price it out. Would be cool to do one yourself though. I would like to find a way to keep the system able to be broken down. This vehicle will eventually see a manual transmission swap and possibly have issues with the pipes in that area.
I appreciate the suggestions though. It sounds like for my application there is no exact fit option and a universal kit or exhaust shop job are the most common.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I guess after thinking about it, it was a little more expensive when I factor in the Borla mufflers and V-bands I provided. But he bent everything up and did it exactly how I wanted for $425, I had about $200 in the mufflers and maybe $40 in the band clamps.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
hmm that seems like a reasonable option also. I would have thought a shop would charge a arm and leg for a custom exhaust but maybe ill call to price it out. Would be cool to do one yourself though. I would like to find a way to keep the system able to be broken down. This vehicle will eventually see a manual transmission swap and possibly have issues with the pipes in that area.
I appreciate the suggestions though. It sounds like for my application there is no exact fit option and a universal kit or exhaust shop job are the most common.
You gotta find the right shop. Around here, most places, I called a few, wanted $1000 + mufflers and accessories. 1 guy who does great work, small town, out of the way, old feller, did 3" duals, front to back with H pipe, for under $500 + mufflers.
Plenty of small townville in the panhandle, bet you can find a shop that will take it on for a reasonable price.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
How much difference does the 3" crossover with 3" tubes all the way back vs a 3" equalizer tube really make? I remember adding a 2nd pipe and muffler for dual exhaust on 1 7/8", 2" and 2 1/2" pipe making a huge difference.
I suspect that on an engine with less than a 400 HP capacity, the difference would not be worth doing, but then, I am old fashioned and cheap.
Hell, we used used mufflers and pipes to fit out dual exhaust on our backyard race cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005