Best Flowmaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There's not a single Blowmaster that I'd even consider running, they all suck lol. I've had 40s, 44s, Super 40s and 50 series. They all drone like a **** and rust out after a while, end up having a chamber break loose and rattle. Magnaflow, Borla, Corsa are all better options IMO
Hey hey HEY!!!!Enough of this trash talk!

(I only say this because I have them on my truck so they can’t suck right?):anitoof:

No, Flowmasters have that old school pop-can sound. I like it, but it’s not for everyone. I have 40s on 2.5” exhaust with 350 and headers, and they end before the axle. So yeah, they drone…but I made a conscious decision to not let it bother me…so it doesn’t. I imagine it would mostly eliminate the drone if I extended the exhaust out the rear.

I like what I have, but if I had to do it all over again I’d probably do Magnaflows.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size

(I only say this because I have them on my truck so they can’t suck right?):anitoof:

No, Flowmasters have that old school pop-can sound. I like it, but it’s not for everyone. I have 40s on 2.5” exhaust with 350 and headers, and they end before the axle. So yeah, they drone…but I made a conscious decision to not let it bother me…so it doesn’t. I imagine it would mostly eliminate the drone if I extended the exhaust out the rear.

I like what I have, but if I had to do it all over again I’d probably do Magnaflows.
Lol. I love the sound of them from outside, just can't do the drone. It gives me a headache

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Agreed. I have friends that just adore flow 40s dumped in front of the axle and I won't even ride in something if it's set up like that. I like loud, high pitched and raspy over boomy and droney

I can appreciate a variety of sounds, as long as it's a V8 making the music. I've got a lot of cars and trucks, I try not to do repeats on mufflers so they all have their own sound. But one of my favorites is the cheapest. My '73 wagon has a 2bbl 350, headers, 2.5" pipes and a pair of glass packs that end before the axle. It just sounds so dang cool, imho.

SK 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I've always liked the sound of Flowmasters and all their variations. "Drone" has a lot to do with the exhaust setup, and little to do with the muffler itself IMO. I have a "FlowFX" on my '89 pickup and really like the sound. Had the same muffler on an S10 with the 4.3 and I swear it was the best sounding V6 I've ever heard in my life.

Oh yeah, and @Rusty Nail had a good point. My crew cab has headers, H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's and full length tailpipes. There is absolutely zero drone.

Your crew cab sounds incredible. I really enjoyed the time when I borrowed it.....for a couple months lol

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I have them on same setup exceptvmine is ran all way to the bumper.They still drone at certain times at steady speeds and rpm.I just adjust the accel a little and it stops.Imo,they sound better to me as the truck is driving by.But with me hearing them from inside the cab,I've never liked them.I've just been to cheap to replace them.

Confused

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A guy on one of the Mopar forums I am on was complaining about how loud his 440 powered car was with the flowmaster mufflers. He installed 24" glass packs before the mufflers and it quieted down considerably. Clips were only at idle but it was a noticeable difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS