MagnaFlow vs Flowmaster vs Straight Pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hmmm, never thought about that could be an option, as long as you could get at least 20gals it would be good I guess..
Hell you could probably get 4 of them back there like undercounted camper ones

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Pane engine can run upside down. Jetting is... non-existent... super easy in open loop systems.
Engines last longer.
Someone always has a propane barbecue and thus, always emergency fuel close by.
You can run a tunnel ram with propane on any kind of engine. Works awesome and of course, looks amazing.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Propane is badass, wish they would come up with tanks that weren't so ugly..
After you get the system inspected and everything is cool you mount up the custom tanks your local tig expert made for ya.
For example on a crrew cab you can run really long saddle tanks if you get a notch fabbed in to clear the cab support under the pillar.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
After you get the system inspected and everything is cool you mount up the custom tanks your local tig expert made for ya.
For example on a crrew cab you can run really long saddle tanks if you get a notch fabbed in to clear the cab support under the pillar.
Fortunately I don't need no inspections here but the **** is expensive here and so is Propane, it's a big joke they push for alternative fuels, but then they make it so it's not worth it to convert over, phucin oil companies don't want you to that, you guys are lucky. I thought about converting back when I had the dually when gas went nuts, couldn't believe how cheap a conversion kit is over there compared to here, I'll have to check into that again and see what it would cost to ship the stuff here, unfortunately I'd have to get the tanks here though..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
For any that can’t see this sexy bitch here it is
You must be registered for see images attach
That's badass, seen that stuff before even more fancy all chromed up and ****..

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Pane engine can run upside down. Jetting is... non-existent... super easy in open loop systems.
Engines last longer.
Someone always has a propane barbecue and thus, always emergency fuel close by.
You can run a tunnel ram with propane on any kind of engine. Works awesome and of course, looks amazing.
Sorry to ask, what's open loop?
For any that can’t see this sexy bitch here it is
You must be registered for see images attach
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
those filters are bad!
Keep talking about propane its really interesting! I've wanted to know what this was all about for a long time. So what kind of HP and TRQE does a propane make?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Sorry to ask, what's open loop?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
those filters are bad!
Keep talking about propane its really interesting! I've wanted to know what this was all about for a long time. So what kind of HP and TRQE does a propane make?
Open loop is what we run in our older trucks. Closed loop is propane in a fuel injected vehicle. Cost more and is more complicated. The kits have a second computer that interfaces with the main computer.

Pane has less BTUs and therefor makes less power than gasoline, but because of the high octane (108+) you can make up for the loss with high compression. As for HP and torque, that's in the cam. Need good overlap like minimum LSA 112. Depending on the heads, minimum squish zone, and if the exhaust ports flow really well a symmetrical cam may be the ticket. Typical performance build tricks.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Fortunately I don't need no inspections here but the **** is expensive here and so is Propane, it's a big joke they push for alternative fuels, but then they make it so it's not worth it to convert over, phucin oil companies don't want you to that, you guys are lucky. I thought about converting back when I had the dually when gas went nuts, couldn't believe how cheap a conversion kit is over there compared to here, I'll have to check into that again and see what it would cost to ship the stuff here, unfortunately I'd have to get the tanks here though..
Are you sure the gas station that sells propane doesn't look for an inspection sticker?
Well Art you could go out of state I guess. Wrecking yards have usually piles of tanks lined up for the crusher.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Open loop is what we run in our older trucks. Closed loop is propane in a fuel injected vehicle. Cost more and is more complicated. The kits have a second computer that interfaces with the main computer.

Pane has less BTUs and therefor makes less power than gasoline, but because of the high octane (108+) you can make up for the loss with high compression. As for HP and torque, that's in the cam. Need good overlap like minimum LSA 112. Depending on the heads, minimum squish zone, and if the exhaust ports flow really well a symmetrical cam may be the ticket. Typical performance build tricks.
Wow that's neat! And it can keep up with fuel engines on the highway with out problem?
This is really interesting to me.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Wow that's neat! And it can keep up with fuel engines on the highway with out problem?
This is really interesting to me.
IF the engine is built with propane in mind yes they perform.
It does run hotter than gas so hardened exhaust seats are a must. Also helps to run the big thick bronze valve guides rather than tyhe cast guides with the bronze liner. This pulls the heat better.

Lots of bad rap on propane because many of the early conversions were dual fuel. This is a terrible compromise and the performance suffers with either fuel. Pane runs timing more advanced, and really important is that it advances really quick.
Propane doesn't create excess heat when lean, like gasoline does. It just doesn't make good power.
If you run it too rich it will create more heat, but it's easy to determine if it's too rich because you need to pinch your nose closed.

Again, the main thing is the high compression. Compression = efficiency = economy = power = low emissions.
And the tree huggers smell your propane and they all bump you up a few points as a more 'evolved' human lol.
I used to get love from them when I was driving my old beat up 88 chevy van. You could see the headers hanging down! 60 series
tires that were bald from burnouts from my 10.1 383.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Nice!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Are you sure the gas station that sells propane doesn't look for an inspection sticker?
Well Art you could go out of state I guess. Wrecking yards have usually piles of tanks lined up for the crusher.
Well, maybe a propane distributor does I don't know, but I see people with their motorhomes all the time in gas stations getting their tanks filled up, and guy comes out and connects the hose and fills them up, never see them look for anything???..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels