Looking to quiet the exhaust some

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hey all,

I've got full length headers with a section of pipe and glass packs on each side. The exhaust dumps just behind the cab. What can I do to quiet to the exhaust so I can hear my music and conversation in the cab?

Thanks!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Put large body mufflers(from big block) on and run pipe to behind the bumper

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Run it out the back or upgrade your sound system.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You will have to get it over the rear axle to get rid of some of the droning.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Alright, spent some time today with the exhaust. Had some pieces left over from the kit I bought a few years ago. Two of them had turn outs and installed them. Holy cow did that improve the exhaust note! It's deeper and has a nice pulse. Plus, the cab is much quieter. Drone is about gone, too. Took about 20 minutes for a huge improvement!

Me likes!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Alright, spent some time today with the exhaust. Had some pieces left over from the kit I bought a few years ago. Two of them had turn outs and installed them. Holy cow did that improve the exhaust note! It's deeper and has a nice pulse. Plus, the cab is much quieter. Drone is about gone, too. Took about 20 minutes for a huge improvement!

Me likes!

My truck had glass packs on it when I got it, I hate the sound and as it turned out one had rusted the inside out was rattling around inside..replaced them with some Pypes violator straight through mufflers and its quieter and sounds much better.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Put large body mufflers(from big block) on and run pipe to behind the bumper
I totally agree with this. Install those big block mufflers about a foot behind the cab, then tailpipes from there and out the back or out to the sides. My 454 still has the OEM dual exhaust on it and it's quiet. Can't even hear it idle. Going down the freeway, nothing but wind noise and very very slight hum. You have to listen for the exhaust to actually hear it. I like it though. It's quiet and when you romp on it, all you hear is Quadrajet roar sucking air.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My truck had glass packs on it when I got it, I hate the sound and as it turned out one had rusted the inside out was rattling around inside..replaced them with some Pypes violator straight through mufflers and its quieter and sounds much better.
I don't care for glass packs at all. Never have, never will. Broke in or not broke in doesn't matter. I don't like the rattly ass POSs. I've even had Turbo mufflers that I liked so much better. They'd roar when on it, but cruising they had a deep hum. Not a groan like a Flowmaster which I prefer over Turbos and for damn sure glass packs. And this is if I have mild engine and can justify Flowmasters, otherwise, I'll just keep mine stock and quiet.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
10 series the only way to fly lol. I had a 40 on my S10 with a custom 2.75" Y pipe and a SBC and 50s on the Chevelle cruising they were equally pleasant, but would bark if you hammered on it. My truck now it's just loud for all the right reasons.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I don't care for glass packs at all. Never have, never will. Broke in or not broke in doesn't matter. I don't like the rattly ass POSs. I've even had Turbo mufflers that I liked so much better. They'd roar when on it, but cruising they had a deep hum. Not a groan like a Flowmaster which I prefer over Turbos and for damn sure glass packs. And this is if I have mild engine and can justify Flowmasters, otherwise, I'll just keep mine stock and quiet.

My tires are louder than my exhaust now and wind noise is louder also.. If you want performance quiet exhaust look at the flow rating on these. http://www.dynomax.com/super-turbo-offset-offset-17937.html

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I like my Purple Hornies. They aren't too bad with light throttle and get quite loud under full throttle. Since putting the extra 3 feet of tubing on, the note is throatier and mellow on light throttle. Punch the gas it sounds good! I'll have to snag a drive-by video.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you couldn't tell, the truck needs a serious front end alignment. It turns like crap going right. Plus, the paint is really going down hill. Wish I had the money to get it repainted in factory colors. I think the white/blue color scheme was better than the dark forest green the PO painted it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224