Just bought a 1995 GMC C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I want to replace all the manifold bolts, can I use grade 8 bolts from the hardware store?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Got this bitch out!
You must be registered for see images attach

Fuggin A Cool, you made easy work of that nightmare.

I want to replace all the manifold bolts, can I use grade 8 bolts from the hardware store?

Sure you could. I'd just have to wonder if the heat would take the temper out of the bolt or if that would be even harder to get them out in the future. :shrug: You'd think they should be stronger and less prone to break off. But then you have to think, if they get seized what's going to give? Something will have to give or not. Maybe with the added strength they'll stay together and allow someone to work them out. I'd say it can't hurt. I probably would if I had to replace the bolts anyway. Or split the difference and go Grade 5. :shrug:

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
01 Sienna
Engine Size
Fantastic!

Good job man!

Bolts? hardware store?...****** bolts is what you removed...If it was me, fug it and go ARP, no more worries and do it One time. And get a perfect surface plane on the manifolds, make sure the mating surfaces are both flatter than a ...well, Clean, flat and smooth.

Also, get all head threads clean enough to run bolts in by hand, torque down carefully, use 1/3rd torque down, then 2/3rd's, then full if you want.

Again...Good job!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good job man!

Bolts? hardware store?...****** bolts is what you removed...If it was me, fug it and go ARP, no more worries and do it One time. And get a perfect surface plane on the manifolds, make sure the mating surfaces are both flatter than a ...well, Clean, flat and smooth.

Also, get all head threads clean enough to run bolts in by hand, torque down carefully, use 1/3rd torque down, then 2/3rd's, then full if you want.

Again...Good job!

I think he's just doing exhaust manifolds. I'd still like to chase them threads if it were me too. Get all those rusty bits out of the hole. If nothing else, at least a blow nozzle off the air compressor.

I have a feeling this is going to be a good truck when you're done with this project. I also have a feeling those broken exhaust manifolds is why you got it cheap. With the way it sounded, and then the starter took a dive, knowing how it sounded the PO wasn't to enthused about getting it running again. :shrug: Then it sat around, other transportation remedies were found and now it becomes an eye sore and they need a few bucks. That's the same old song and dance and why I've been to steal all of my trucks. Trust me, I didn't overpay for any of them. And for the parts and profit I've made, all my trucks have been FREE including the 3 I have left.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Awesome....on the grade 8 thing if one breaks again it won't drill so easy if it's grade 8. Grade 5 is a bit more flexible and easier to drill. Grade 5 is what's used for connecting structural steel in buildings and cranes for its flexibility grade 8 is strong but more prone to shear. I'm sure one of the young bucks could get all scientific about it.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I got it all buttoned up, got it looking all healed up again. I went ahead with the grade 8 bolts with thick hardened washers. I figure, if this truck turns out to be a good runner/dd, I'll eventually go with some nice headers, and true dual exhaust, down the road. But I'm definitely gonna go put in a new cat, later today, just for piece of mind. I picked up a set of good used manifolds yesterday, from a parts yard.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Do you have to conform to any emissions stuff there? If you wanted to pinch some pennies, you could inspect the cat that's on there. There are ways to clean them, but you could always just punch it out and reinstall it.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Do you have to conform to any emissions stuff there? If you wanted to pinch some pennies, you could inspect the cat that's on there. There are ways to clean them, but you could always just punch it out and reinstall it.

Yeah, there's strict emissions requirements here in AZ. Your emissions exempt if you live in certain parts of some countys, Native reservations ect. Unfortunately, I'm in the city, and they want their sacred fees.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Crap. Well, when you do your dual exhaust with headers, be careful. It'd behoove of you to get a heated O2 sensor so it doesn't hover in open loop for too long, and you fail the inspection. It's simple. One wire is the signal that goes to the factory sensor, one is a 12V source that goes to the heating element, and one is a ground wire.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I'm in wait for the next surprise this bastard is going to reveal to me next. But I have determination on my side.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Isn't emission testing required ONLY in the Phoenix and Tucson areas? If I understand right, our Squarebodies if a 6.2 or 5.7 Deisel and a Half Ton, they'd be exempt right? Maybe even a light duty 3/4 ton too cuz I'm pretty sure it goes off of GVW and it's 8000lb or something like that. I know my 3/4 tons are 8600 so they wouldn't be exempt, Wooo Hooo, But my K10 would be.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Isn't emission testing required ONLY in the Phoenix and Tucson areas?
Mariciopa and Pima counties only, before I left I heard talk of including Pinal too, but it's been 5yrs and haven't heard anything yet..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Mariciopa and Pima counties only, before I left I heard talk of including Pinal too, but it's been 5yrs and haven't heard anything yet..

I'm good then. If I move there I'll be moving to Mahave County, Bullhead City, Kingman or Havasu, all are Mohave County.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm good then. If I move there I'll be moving to Mahave County, Bullhead City, Kingman or Havasu, all are Mohave County.
Yep, same with La Paz, you're good to go anywhere around here, even on the Cali side.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I got it all buttoned up, got it looking all healed up again. I went ahead with the grade 8 bolts with thick hardened washers. I figure, if this truck turns out to be a good runner/dd, I'll eventually go with some nice headers, and true dual exhaust, down the road. But I'm definitely gonna go put in a new cat, later today, just for piece of mind. I picked up a set of good used manifolds yesterday, from a parts yard.

I see you already got your header gaskets when you make the switch. Decided to leave the PS bracket off? So have it take it for a drive yet to see how good everything else is yet?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06