Just bought a 1995 GMC C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Just bought this 1995, GMC C1500 SLE, 5.7 TBI, automatioff the original owner. He had is sitting in his yard since 2014. Story is, his mechanic told him it blew out a freeze plug, and replaced it, I couldn't see a new way one one the block. Then he told the owner the engine was seized. So it sat. I Bought it for $800. Got it home checked it out a bit, the engine turns nicely with a ratchet on the crank, so it's not seized. I think it's the starter. I've never played around with this kind of truck before. I'm gonna need some help from y'all on where to start. I know I'm gonna have to drain the gas tank, change the oil, fuel filter. The mechanic who told the PO the engine was seized, left the spark plugs out, on top of the the air cleaner, so it sat for over 3 years, and who knows what got in the cylinders. Gonna try to post up some picks. The truck has never been in a wreck, body is in excellent conditions, no dents at all, interior is a little dirty, but extremely complete. Still has the factory jack and all its parts, under the back seat, and original spare underneath the rear.
You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Looks like you got a good deal!!! Love the gmt400s :)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Just bought this 1995, GMC C1500 SLE, 5.7 TBI, automatioff the original owner. He had is sitting in his yard since 2014. Story is, his mechanic told him it blew out a freeze plug, and replaced it, I couldn't see a new way one one the block. Then he told the owner the engine was seized. So it sat. I Bought it for $800. Got it home checked it out a bit, the engine turns nicely with a ratchet on the crank, so it's not seized. I think it's the starter. I've never played around with this kind of truck before. I'm gonna need some help from y'all on where to start. I know I'm gonna have to drain the gas tank, change the oil, fuel filter. The mechanic who told the PO the engine was seized, left the spark plugs out, on top of the the air cleaner, so it sat for over 3 years, and who knows what got in the cylinders. Gonna try to post up some picks. The truck has never been in a wreck, body is in excellent conditions, no dents at all, interior is a little dirty, but extremely complete. Still has the factory jack and all its parts, under the back seat, and original spare underneath the rear.

Very nice score! I'd flush the lines from the TBI unit back so you don't suck down any rotten fuel from the lines. If you're worried about bugs or dirt having gotten in through the spark plug holes, you could always get one of those little eleven dollar borescope USB cameras and see if everything's alright. Honestly, I don't know if I'd be that anal with it, but it maybe worth it for peace of mind. It sounds like the mechanic who "worked" on it was at least one beer short of a six pack, and what's actually wrong with it is not that big of a deal. Maybe an electrical problem having to do with the starter or the starter itself needs to be shimmed. Something like that. Let us know what you find.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You did good on that deal. Real good on that deal. Only thing that could have made it any better is if was a 96 or later and had the Vortec 350 instead of TBI. Though the pro side of that being, the TBI is going to be easier and cheaper to get back on the road again. How many miles on the clock at this time?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Very nice score! I'd flush the lines from the TBI unit back so you don't suck down any rotten fuel from the lines. If you're worried about bugs or dirt having gotten in through the spark plug holes, you could always get one of those little eleven dollar borescope USB cameras and see if everything's alright. Honestly, I don't know if I'd be that anal with it, but it maybe worth it for peace of mind. It sounds like the mechanic who "worked" on it was at least one beer short of a six pack, and what's actually wrong with it is not that big of a deal. Maybe an electrical problem having to do with the starter or the starter itself needs to be shimmed. Something like that. Let us know what you find.

I bought it with the intentions of parting it out and making a profit, but after getting it home, I'm thinking DD. I sure hope I don't have to drop the tank. Gonna try the siphon first. I really don't know much about TBI's, I've read they are really sensitive to bad gas or debris.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can tell you this much about it. It's an EARLY 95 model. Starting with the new dash style in 95, power mirrors were standard equipment. Notice yours does NOT have power mirrors. This is because in the EARLY 95 models, GM ran short on the power mirrors but kept up production so the Monroney sticker showed a power mirror delete and a credit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I bought it with the intentions of parting it out and making a profit, but after getting it home, I'm thinking DD. I sure hope I don't have to drop the tank. Gonna try the siphon first. I really don't know much about TBI's, I've read they are really sensitive to bad gas or debris.

Naww, that's to nice of a truck and in to good of condition to part out. Rather than drop the tank, see about removing the bed instead. Much easier on the back, and you'll have plenty of room to work and replace any lines that need it without having to fumble and struggle to reinstall.

2nd option would be to find the measurements online and get a grinder and cut an access panel in the bed floor to the fuel pump. Then you can rig up a couple peices of flange metal and screw the access panel back down in place.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Thinking about blowing out each cylinder with compressed air through the plug holes tomorrow, and hope for the best. The camera idea sounds like a winner, but ill need to source one out. Can I blow air through the fuel lines, or flush them out with good gas?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
You did good on that deal. Real good on that deal. Only thing that could have made it any better is if was a 96 or later and had the Vortec 350 instead of TBI. Though the pro side of that being, the TBI is going to be easier and cheaper to get back on the road again. How many miles on the clock at this time?
147K on the clock.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

They are no more sensative to debris than any other injector. Keep it, play with it and learn about TBI. TBI doesn't make a **** ton of power, but it is one very reliable system. Not expensive to work on either. While I like the performance of the Vortec, it can be a PITA when it comes to the injector spider assembly under the intake and it's not cheap either. 1 injector goes bad on the spider, then you have to replace the whole spider or convert to fuel rail marine system. TBI isn't that way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thinking about blowing out each cylinder with compressed air through the plug holes tomorrow, and hope for the best. The camera idea sounds like a winner, but ill need to source one out. Can I blow air through the fuel lines, or flush them out with good gas?

I can't think of anything that could have crawled into the cylinders that would cause major harm to the cylinder walls. I think I'd just spray some WD-40 into each plug hole and let it sit for a couple hours. Then I'd bump the key to see if it's going to turn over without any major screeching. If it does turn easily, then I think I'd just leave the plugs out and crank the motor for 30-45 seconds a few times and just let the compression push anything out the spark plug holes. Do you guys have problems with Dirt Dabbers in AZ? If they built nests, should just be dirt and the WD-40 would soften it and allow it to be pushed out the exhaust ports or the spark plug holes.

147K on the clock.

That's low mileage. You should have another 100-150 K miles left on that one. I'd be keeping it or sell it as a complete truck. To good to part out IMO.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
They are no more sensative to debris than any other injector. Keep it, play with it and learn about TBI. TBI doesn't make a **** ton of power, but it is one very reliable system. Not expensive to work on either. While I like the performance of the Vortec, it can be a PITA when it comes to the injector spider assembly under the intake and it's not cheap either. 1 injector goes bad on the spider, then you have to replace the whole spider or convert to fuel rail marine system. TBI isn't that way.

I'm kinda familiar with the tbi on my 1990, with the 700r4, but this **** is all electronic. I notice this one doesn't have a detent on it, and the computer is right there in the engine bay. Gives me the creeps.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm kinda familiar with the tbi on my 1990, with the 700r4, but this **** is all electronic. I notice this one doesn't have a detent on it, and the computer is right there in the engine bay. Gives me the creeps.

Yep, no TV cable cuz it's not a 700r4. The transmission is a 4L60-E and computer controlled as well as the lock up converter being controlled by the ECM. 95 is the first year for PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) in the transmission. That's the only difference than your 90 TBI though. The rest of it is the same as your 90 TBI. 95 was the last year for TBI and OBD1. 96 is when the Vortec SFI came about as well as ODB2.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

BTW, the computer you're speaking of in the engine bay... You sure that's not the ABS computer for the brakes?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Yep, no TV cable cuz it's not a 700r4. The transmission is a 4L60-E and computer controlled as well as the lock up converter being controlled by the ECM. 95 is the first year for PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) in the transmission. That's the only difference than your 90 TBI though. The rest of it is the same as your 90 TBI. 95 was the last year for TBI and OBD1. 96 is when the Vortec SFI came about as well as ODB2.

Well if you don't mind, I'll be pickin' your brain and everyone else on GMSB, for a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400