Bought a 73 F100 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Picked this up a week ago, drove to SoCal with a trailer to get it. 1973 F100 4x4 with a 360 and a 4 speed. First year of the “dent sides”. My dad had a 77 SWB 4x4 with a 4 speed which ended up getting parted out when I was in high school. My sister and I always gave my dad crap for letting it go and knew I wanted one similar when I got the chance.

Anyways, it’s mostly original other than some old body work on the driver side bedside. Guy I bought it from had a marti report done and it’s 1 of 8 for that model year. That’s due to its paint and trim code.

High pinion Dana 44, 4 wheel power drum brakes, no AC, power steering, limited slip 9 inch, single speed Dana 21/23 transfer case, and its in pretty good shape.

I know it’s a GM site but figured most wouldn’t mind seeing an old truck. Notice in the first picture the K25 hiding in the back waiting for me to paint it.

Morgan

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpeg
    IMG_1705.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6160.jpeg
    IMG_6160.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6184.jpeg
    IMG_6184.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6159.jpeg
    IMG_6159.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 40

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I love dentsides, sweet truck!

I have a 76 F250 in my driveway that my grandfather bought new. Im a very proud 3rd generation to drive it, and one of my boys will be the 4th.

Had Cope Bros build the 360 into a 390 with a nice cam back in the 80's. (Man, that makes me feel old)

I rebuilt the 390 about 5 years ago because I downshifted too hard or something and broke the gear off of the bottom of my distributor which made it instantly run like poo poo. Head gasket had some issues because my old man decided to try to change out only one head gasket while leaving the other side attached and just pulling up on the intake hard with a come along. So it was time to tear it apart anyway.

You must be registered for see images attach

Good luck with your new toy! I get a lot of Thumbs Up in mine and you will too.

I completely understand the sentimental aspect of your story there. My most prized possession is a 62 Dodge Power Wagon that was my old man's. He had a Power Wagon that he had to sell because of a growing family. In my neighborhood there was an old man who had one sitting in his carport for years and my dad would drive by it looking at it longingly. Finally when I was about 10 years old I said to go ask the guy if he would sell it and to my dad's surprise a deal was struck. I learned to drive, 4 wheel and hunt in that truck. So many memories!

Thanks for sharing! Old trucks are the best.

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Been busy with this thing since I bought it.

Rebuilt the 9 inch with new bearings, trac loc, seals, rear brakes etc. rebuilt the front end with new bushings, leveling springs, shocks all around, brake lines, and still waiting to pull the front hubs and press new drums and do the bearings and brakes.

The truck got a tune up with new spark plugs, wires, Petronix module(wired a relay to give it 12 volts)

Then the original 2 barrel started to stick at around 1500 rpm. I found out the throttle shaft bushings were so sloppy that they were leaking vacuum and allowing the blades to hit the bores. So I bought a used Edelbrock 390 Streetmaster intake on eBay, and rebuilt an old Edelbrock 1406 that I had laying around.

Truck got a new aluminum radiator and fan shroud at the same time along with a rebuilt power steering pump.

I then started to tackle the small amount of rust that was present in the floor boards on both sides.

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Pics cont…