Just bought a 1995 GMC C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's not to bad. The grainy is due to lack of light. If you can get like a gun bore light to put in the cylinder with the camera, I think the quality would be perfect.

I have one of these mag light fiber optic adapters. Works great for stuff like this.

Attachments

• MagLight Fiber Optic Adapter.jpg
    MagLight Fiber Optic Adapter.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 138

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, you could probably make your own fiber optic adapter out of one of your pieces that go from the dash light to the ash tray. That's all this Mag Light adapter is. Same exact stuff and idea. You ever get to a DIY parts yard, snag one from a squarebody truck.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree with all that. Did it come with a little LED on it to make some light because it's not completely dark. You'd get some nice pictures then. You're welcome, though. It's good to be able to look at things that you wouldn't normally be able to look at, and I'm sure you could do all kinds of stuff with it like HVAC or looking at flexplate bolts/flexplate cracking. I need to get me one, too.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
It came alive! After changing out the starter, draining the tank and filling with new gas, blowing out the gas lines, new spark plugs, fuel filter and battery, This bitch started up after two turns of the engine, and starts up immediately every time. Its running pretty rough though. It sounds like it has an exhaust leak, but I cant pinpoint it, but its a deeper sound, almost as if the catalytic converter is plugged. I put some water in the radiator then flushed it, OMG! it was like the deepest, darkest, shade of thick, dark chocolate brown fluid coming out of the drain plug. I ran about 15 gallons of clean water though it, and its still dark as hell. I pulled the tstat and put the housing back on, and ran it for a few minutes, to try and flush the block. The temp gauge isn't working, so I only ran it for a few minutes at a time. I'm gonna put up a video tomorrow, maybe you guys can help me diagnose the sound its making.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I use the little three dollar Prestone flush kit to flush the cooling system. Works great, and they have them at Walmart. What I do for exhaust leaks, is I'll stick a vacuum wand in the tailpipe, stuff a rag around the edges, and turn it on. Then I'll go to where I suspect the leak is and see if I can hear it sucking. You can't do this for very long intervals, or you'll burn up the vacuum motor. Also, if you suspect a plugged cat, using a non-contact thermometer pre and post-cat to see if there's a temperature drop is a good way to check without driving it and seeing how bad it performs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool Cool !!! Yep, post up a video. As long as it sat, there's no telling what might have crawled up the tailpipe and made a nest either.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Now take that tested good starter down and bounce it off the head of the worm who performed the test on it. Somebody with less automotive experience or an outlet for info would have ran with that info and ripped all kinda **** apart because some clown said it was good. Don't mean to rant it's the misinformation thing that chaps my ass. Awesome that she runs and the engine isn't blown.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Now take that tested good starter down and bounce it off the head of the worm who performed the test on it. Somebody with less automotive experience or an outlet for info would have ran with that info and ripped all kinda **** apart because some clown said it was good. Don't mean to rant it's the misinformation thing that chaps my ass. Awesome that she runs and the engine isn't blown.

That's very common because the bench test they doesn't put a load on the starter. It's not different than laying it on the ground and hooking a battery to it and crossing the solenoid. With no flywheel to engage, it's just free wheeling.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That's very common because the bench test they doesn't put a load on the starter. It's not different than laying it on the ground and hooking a battery to it and crossing the solenoid. With no flywheel to engage, it's just free wheeling.

Then they should stop testing them all they are doing is confusing people with thier ********. Ok I will stop.....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Then they should stop testing them all they are doing is confusing people with thier ********. Ok I will stop.....

Yep, and they also get out of doing warranty on their lifetime junk ass starters, and then also sell batteries because it's NOT THE STARTER.

Same with alternators. I've seen alternators that aren't charging but they damn sure not charging at 1500 rpm. I don't know what rpm they're spinning them at to test them, but I went through that **** with my handicapped buddy and I finally put the junk alternator back on, took my volt gauge with me and made my buddy drive it up there with me, and I had the manager come outside and watch my volt meter and then I had my buddy raise the RPMs and showed him at what RPM it started charging. This guy has 2.73 gears in his rear end, he rarely got over 1800 rpm going to the corner store so his battery was always dead. And he too bought a fukn battery he didn't need and still had the problem. Dude lives on $776 a month he couldn't afford a $110 battery. You can bet I was pissed.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yep, and they also get out of doing warranty on their lifetime junk ass starters, and then also sell batteries because it's NOT THE STARTER.

Same with alternators. I've seen alternators that aren't charging but they damn sure not charging at 1500 rpm. I don't know what rpm they're spinning them at to test them, but I went through that **** with my handicapped buddy and I finally put the junk alternator back on, took my volt gauge with me and made my buddy drive it up there with me, and I had the manager come outside and watch my volt meter and then I had my buddy raise the RPMs and showed him at what RPM it started charging. This guy has 2.73 gears in his rear end, he rarely got over 1800 rpm going to the corner store so his battery was always dead. And he too bought a fukn battery he didn't need and still had the problem. Dude lives on $776 a month he couldn't afford a $110 battery. You can bet I was pissed.

A few years back I applied at an autozone and I handed in my resume with my ASE master certification and I was told I was over qualified. The want to hire dim witted fuktards to sell fart can mufflers and neon. Advance is a step up but not much Napa around here is more old school if you tell them V10 they don't have to go ask one of thier cohorts what size was the chevy v10 engine at that point I shake my head and make my way to the door. Seriously it has happened.

Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I was looking at the exhaust manifolds, and I don't see any gaskets at all, on either side. Driver side manifold has a missing or broken bolt. I stuck a screwdriver in there, and I think it broke off in the head. Wtf! If it is, I'm guessing it's gonna be a PITA!!! getting it out.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Anybody know what gaskets these manifolds take, round, or square port?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26