Just bought a 1995 GMC C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
BTW, the computer you're speaking of in the engine bay... You sure that's not the ABS computer for the brakes?

HotRod, I have absolutely no idea. I'll post up some more pics tomorrow. Its like wondering around in a astrophysics class for me. I'm all about the carbs and alcohol(beer).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well if you don't mind, I'll be pickin' your brain and everyone else on GMSB, for a bit.

That's fine. You've got this thread in the right category, so just consider it your Under Construction thread and get after it. :waytogo:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'll attach a link for a sixteen foot USB borescope that hooks to your computer. Unfortunately, the driver for it is on a disc so you need a disc drive on your computer unless the driver can be found on the web and downloaded. Yeah, your PCM is located right behind the glovebox.

https://www.amazon.com/KLAREN-Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection/dp/B01M3WYVF0

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
That's fine. You've got this thread in the right category, so just consider it your Under Construction thread and get after it. :waytogo:

I'll attach a link for a sixteen foot USB borescope that hooks to your computer. Unfortunately, the driver for it is on a disc so you need a disc drive on your computer unless the driver can be found on the web and downloaded. Yeah, your PCM is located right behind the glovebox.

https://www.amazon.com/KLAREN-Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection/dp/B01M3WYVF0

Thanks a million, my freinds!!!!

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Earlier today, I was thinking it was the starter, I was so stoked because I have a brand new starter in my garage off a 89 454 bbc, I looked online, and found out that I could use it on a 350. So I said **** yeah, save me some money and a trip to the parts store. So I crawled underneath and pulled the starter, then I said, WTF! It's like a mini starter with a mini solenoid. Never seen one of those in person. I aint never gonna fit that big ass starter in there.:wtf2:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, 95 was first year for the gear reducted starter. Actually better for several reasons. Expensive but worthy. Since you have it out, take it to your local discount auto and let them bench test it for you. Can you buy just the solenoid for it if that's all it needs? 147,000 miles isn't many for a gear reducted starter. I'd ASSUME the starter itself is probably still OK but it could be the solenoid and cheaper to replace just the solenoid than the whole unit.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I'm gonna tackle the draining of the fuel tank tomorrow, and have been brainstorming it. Can I pull the fuel filter off the frame rail, attach a larger size hose to the tank end, turn the key on and let the pump push the fuel out into a container?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, you could cycle the key over and over since you're having starter issues. That may take a while, and I worry that you may strain and gum up the pump before you got done if that gas has turned completely to varnish and there's a lot of it. Two years is kind of on the border for me as far as how much the fuel has degraded (unless the fuel is older than the sitting time), but you'd still only get as much as the pickup could reach. Are you just doing this to lighten the tank up, or are you trying to do this to clear the fuel system of the old stuff and start over? I can tell you from experience that your pump, strainer sock, sending unit, and the clamps, fittings, and hoses on the sending unit are going to look ugly, and you'll want a whole new assembly if the tank is full of varnish. It stinks. Bad. If you touch it, it'll linger on you for a couple days, and if you spill it, especially in gravel or soil, it'll linger for months. Unfortunately, you could apply this method more easily on an earlier vehicle with the 12 pin ALDL. Pin G, I believe, is the one you could apply 12V to and run the pump directly. If I've got my ducks in a row, when they switched to the OBDII style connector, Pin G was replaced by Pin 8, which is intended for the VATS so no go there. I have used two year old gasoline, and it worked fine. It may not be that nasty if it's only been that long, but beyond just two years, I'd say not so good. I know that I said a lot of ifs here, but I'm not a hundred percent on the fuel you're trying to extract being completely rotten because I don't know how long that batch of gasoline has been sitting in the tank.

Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Yeah, you could cycle the key over and over since you're having starter issues. That may take a while, and I worry that you may strain and gum up the pump before you got done if that gas has turned completely to varnish and there's a lot. Two years is kind of on the border for me as far as how much the fuel has degraded (unless the fuel is older than the sitting time), but you'd still only get as much as the pickup could reach. Are you just doing this to lighten the tank up, or are you trying to do this to clear the fuel system of the old stuff and start over? I can tell you from experience that your pump, strainer sock, sending unit, and the clamps, fittings, and hoses on the sending unit are going to look ghastly, and you'll want a whole new assembly if the tank is full of varnish. It stinks. Bad. If you touch it, it'll linger on you for a couple days, and if you spill it, especially in gravel or soil, it'll linger for months. Unfortunately, you could apply this method more easily on an earlier vehicle with the 12 pin ALDL. Pin G, I believe, is the one you could apply 12V to and run the pump directly. If I've got my ducks in a row, when they switched to the OBDII style connector, Pin G was replaced by Pin 8, which is for the VATS so no go there. I have used two year old gasoline, and it worked fine. It may not be that nasty if it's only been that long, but beyond just two years, I'd say not so good. I know that I said a lot of ifs here, but I'm not a hundred percent on the fuel you're trying to extract being completely rotten.

Yeah, it was just a thought. Looks like i'm gonna go get that pump from harbor freight, and just manually pump it out, if it doesn't look to bad, I'm gonna put some good gas in it, then do it again and call it good. If it looks real bad, I'm gonna pull the bed, clean it out, and just replace the fuel pump/sending unit.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sounds like a winner to me. If you do decide to keep the fuel in any capacity, it maybe a good idea to swing by Walmart and get some fuel treatment to throw in there just for good measure. But if you have a gut feeling that the fuel is gonna be okay, you could prime some out of tank and look it over. If the fuel is still a liquid of normal viscosity, you can proceed with hand pumping it or even priming it out of there. The fuel is what cools and lubricates the pump. It doesn't care how much you pump as long as it's got power, and the fuel is still an appropriate liquid. If the fuel that comes through is junk, you'll still have to take everything apart to proceed with your Plan B so you wouldn't have lost anything by subjecting your pump to a foul, pickle scented death.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, it was just a thought. Looks like i'm gonna go get that pump from harbor freight, and just manually pump it out, if it doesn't look to bad, I'm gonna put some good gas in it, then do it again and call it good. If it looks real bad, I'm gonna pull the bed, clean it out, and just replace the fuel pump/sending unit.

You're in AZ, you might get lucky and that fuel be OK believe it or not. I'm not even kidding, that KIA that sat in So Cali for over 5 years that I drove back to OK after seeing my Aunt for the last time when she was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer.... So I told my cousin after I put a new battery in it, DO NOT,.... DO NOT turn the key on. I want to take the tank out first clean it and put fresh gas in it first. What does he do? Oh I just want to see if it starts and cranks it over and it starts. I then yelled, shut it off, shut it off. Cuz, I don't want that bad gas in the fuel filter, pump and injectors. I pulled the back seat, pulled the fuel pump out of the tank and dumbfounded to find a half tank of good gas. It wasn't green, and smelled like gasoline. I said to hell with it, I'm going to put it back together, drive it up to a good quality gas station and fill it up with Super Unleaded and run the old gas out of it. It ran perfect. Nothing was wrong with the gas after over 5 years. And that was high in alcohol So Cali strict emission gas. Didn't even change the fuel filter and I've got 12,000 miles on the car now since I picked it up. Not sure what the difference was, but the car was stored in the shade if that mattered.

Soooooooo, what you could try to do, is disconnect the fuel line off the back of the Throttle Body. Cycle the key a few times and pump a little fuel into a jar or container to get al least what's been sitting in the filter and the fuel line. Dump that out after you get about a 1/2 pint or so. Then cycle the key again and see what the gas looks like that's in the tank. If it's not terribly green, and doesn't have a rank odor to it, it'll probably burn and you can run it off.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had decent sucxess with 2-3 year old fuel as well. Just diluted with fresh fuel and went on my way. Worth double checking, and if looks good, give it a try.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
So, this is what the gas that's in the tank looks like, still smells like gas too. I got about a quarter tank of it. What do you guys think?
You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It doesn't have the fresh gasoline paleness by any means, but you'd know if it had gone bad by the bad smell. You could try burning a little of it to see if it still has the high flash point it's supposed to, and if you want to burn it in the truck, you could add some premium just to balance it out and then give it a try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus