Is this a good deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I agree, cuz that's what you'd evd up getting out of it, is scrap price and that's not much more than about $10 and you'd spend more than that in gas to it get there for a loss. I'd take the system too.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
DAVE are you fricken kiddin me? You evidently dont realize just what a 4L80E is then. Well let me remind you it was BUILT OFF OF THE TH400, alot of the same parts will interchange.

I am really getting tiried of you talking **** about stuff you OBVIOUSLY know NOTHING about.

Yea a 4L60E has problematic issues, BUT when PROPERLY rebuilt there is NOT A DAMN thing wrong with them.

Don't you have a Ford truck to work on? Or hell better yet go waste some more money on tool's that you will NEVER use. :flipthebird:

Least I will have all the needed tools to fix whats wrong with whatever needs fixing on a vehicle.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you guys are pretty funny.

I'd downgrade anyday to a th350, and I did. My 88 had a 700r4 piece a crap and I swapped it to a freshly rebuilt th350. As for a 4l60 or E, them aint bad, better then the first 700's. As for an 80, man that's just a th400, as said, I'd own one.

I got no use for OD, never liked them either.

As for LS, ehh I don't like FI that much, it's nice for saving money, but requires alot more tools and know how to work on or tune etc. I'd own a carb'd ls setup or something. I'd own a vortec too, or at least the heads lol and run em on a carb'd setup.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Least I will have all the needed tools to fix whats wrong with whatever needs fixing on a vehicle.

lol yea but then again so do I , vourse I can actually fix them 2 though

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
you guys are pretty funny.

I'd downgrade anyday to a th350, and I did. My 88 had a 700r4 piece a crap and I swapped it to a freshly rebuilt th350. As for a 4l60 or E, them aint bad, better then the first 700's. As for an 80, man that's just a th400, as said, I'd own one.

I got no use for OD, never liked them either.

As for LS, ehh I don't like FI that much, it's nice for saving money, but requires alot more tools and know how to work on or tune etc. I'd own a carb'd ls setup or something. I'd own a vortec too, or at least the heads lol and run em on a carb'd setup.

It's starting to come clear where Dave gets his info now. Swims don't like FI and 700r4's either. And it happens to be our 2 members that don't have squares. Go figure !!! :happy175: You need to tell Dave to quit spending all his wife's money on tools he probably won't use. Maybe he'll listen to you. :rofl:

But I also do not see anything wrong with swapping from a 700r4 to a Th350, but I woudn't do it cuz I think 700r4 is junk.Remember I took a 700r4 out of the K1500 and installed a Th350 in its place. BUT, when funds come available, I willl be rebuilding the 700r4 and it goes back n.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOL don't blame me for Dave, he's a big boy and can make up his own mind.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
LOL don't blame me for Dave, he's a big boy and can make up his own mind.

He has to get his info from someone, and so far, you're a match on 2 of his dislikes, the LS motors and 700r4's. You also don't have a square. Just look at what all you 2 have in common. I have a feeling you don't buy Firestone tires either do you? Yes, you do get the blame.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
A GM service manager at dealership told that the 4L60E and 4L80E werent greatests tranys to have in a fuel injected vehicle. He also told me about kit to swap down to a TH350. Yea I might have stretched the story a little bit but the GM manager never came out and said junk in his statement.

The only reason I dont like vortec is cause of the spider injection setup and it do any better in gas mileage than the throttle body. Whatever happened to GM's rave on how better gas mileage was suppose to be than throttle body.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I said I didn't like FI, I'd have an LS motor with a carb'd setup.

heck no I don't buy firestone too expensive lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A GM service manager at dealership told that the 4L60E and 4L80E werent greatests tranys to have in a fuel injected vehicle. He also told me about kit to swap down to a TH350. Yea I might have stretched the story a little bit but the GM manager never came out and said junk in his statement.

The only reason I dont like vortec is cause of the spider injection setup and it do any better in gas mileage than the throttle body. Whatever happened to GM's rave on how better gas mileage was suppose to be than throttle body.

That service manager, like your teacher, ought to be fired. Doesn't sound like he's a good rep for GM. I"ll disagree with him to his face, and I'd disagree with our teacher to his face. Although they are not as good as Th350 and Th400 back in the day, show me what Ford and Dodge have that's better than the 4L60-E and 4L80-E.

Just because one portion of an engine system is not so great, doesn't make it junk. The Vortec 454 doesn't use a spider assembly at all, it uses a fuel rail system. Sounds to me you need to get you a TBI square and leave it alone with no updates.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
That service manager, like your teacher, ought to be fired. Doesn't sound like he's a good rep for GM. I"ll disagree with him to his face, and I'd disagree with our teacher to his face. Although they are not as good as Th350 and Th400 back in the day, show me what Ford and Dodge have that's better than the 4L60-E and 4L80-E.

Just because one portion of an engine system is not so great, doesn't make it junk. The Vortec 454 doesn't use a spider assembly at all, it uses a fuel rail system. Sounds to me you need to get you a TBI square and leave it alone with no updates.

When I get a square it be carb no fuel injection. What do you have to disagree with my teacher about?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Jesus Dave, you really roller-coaster some threads lately!!! :popcorn:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Dave please don't EVER buy a square!!!! You'll give us a bad rep :flipthebird:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
When I get a square it be carb no fuel injection. What do you have to disagree with my teacher about?
Now wait !!! In another thread you said you were a DIE HARD FORD fan. So why the hell even get a Square??? Stick to what works for you and get you a Ford or finish the 67 that you have. All the **** your teacher told you about rebuilding that 390, Rering, vs Reman, boring, using moly rings etc, and his measuring and not knowing it was .030 over. You wouldn't have known until I told you to clean the piston tops and said it says 030 on them. Nonetheless, not worth arguing about. Just do some homework, and find you a good Ford forum where you can get the best help and advice. :grd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes