Is this a good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
So I’ve been looking at Suburbans lately. A coworker had one and they seem pretty neat, definitely a lot you can do with them. Saw this one locally, basically the same as my truck but Suburban’d. 1987, 350, 2wd, runs and drives and, of course, it’s “rust free”. Haven’t seen it in person yet, trying to get a feel for if it’s in the ballpark of reality asking $7500 for it if it is indeed in the condition described. Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. Don’t need another but boy it’d be neat to have the matching set lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3683.jpeg
    IMG_3683.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3682.jpeg
    IMG_3682.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3681.jpeg
    IMG_3681.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 68

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yes you want to be sure the interior is complete and unmolested, and the rear AC works. The rear AC Burbs were bad about rusting out in the rear corners of the top. Bonus points if it has the console and buckets, these are kinda hard to find nice ones anymore, especially in red. We had a few similar to this Burb and with regular maintenance they were pretty faithful workhorses.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Yes you want to be sure the interior is complete and unmolested, and the rear AC works. The rear AC Burbs were bad about rusting out in the rear corners of the top. Bonus points if it has the console and buckets, these are kinda hard to find nice ones anymore, especially in red. We had a few similar to this Burb and with regular maintenance they were pretty faithful workhorses.
Allegedly the front and rear A/C works, but I definitely feel you on that point. Split systems like that are one of my least favorite things to work on. Lots to break. No interior pics make me wonder what’s being hidden, I’ll have to go take a peek. Can you get parts for these like normal squares? Or are burb parts more elusive?

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Of our family's 5 square body Burbs, 4 of them were the tailgate with power window. Last one was barn doors. The gate is much easier to load and unload, because you have a platform to stage things on.
Square Body Burb barn doors only have one position when open: wide and sticking out on the sides. One year Dad, my brother and I were going to some big event at the Astrodome complex and the parking lot attendants were bringing the cars in and lining them up just as quick as they could. The spaces were not too much bigger than our '90 Burb. I got the doors open and they almost got taken off by the car or truck coming in next to us! We had a wagon in the back we were bringing in, and had to open both doors to get it out.
Never had that happen with the 'gated Burbs.
Im against you there lol. I prefer gate.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Allegedly the front and rear A/C works, but I definitely feel you on that point. Split systems like that are one of my least favorite things to work on. Lots to break. No interior pics make me wonder what’s being hidden, I’ll have to go take a peek. Can you get parts for these like normal squares? Or are burb parts more elusive?
We didn't have too much problems with getting parts for ours. Hardest time was on the '90 because the parts people just heard '90 GMC and not "R2500 Suburban" and they didn't realize or care that the Burb was a carryover models from the previous generation trucks. Having the VIN number helped some there. Mechanically it should be pretty similar to your pickup. IIRC all Burbs got the 11 5/32" rear drums instead of the standard half ton 11x2s.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Huh. I had never correlated the rear roof skin rust to rear AC. That's a neat observation.

Burb parts used to be super easy to come by. It's harder these days though, do to rear body rust and so many of them being used as parts rigs for pickup trucks.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
IMHO, buy it!!! Rust free burbs are a rarity these days

Just finishing up my 1991 V-1500 GMC Suburban. You're lucky it's an '87, as most parts are available. The 1989-1991 burbs are where you have problems finding parts. A lot of the new features for the new GMT-400 trucks were incorporated into the last 3 years of Burb production. (remote door mounted mirrors, different radio instead of the tried and true 2 shaft with CD player, rear bumper rub strip changed, roof mounted console, rear body trim corner changed from the earlier metal one, rear door defrosters). I'm sure I missed some items, but you get the gist.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice rig! Up here that’s a hope to get $3500 for burb.
I realize that’s not the same everywhere but I still think the seller is smokin crack asking 7500.
Same C10 is worth close to that 7500. 4x4 = more.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, location makes a big difference when it comes to price.
It looks like there is a lot of potential from the exterior pics. Here is the southeast, a good condition, 2wd hovers around $5500. More money for 4wd.
"Runs and drives" for a 35 year old truck still means you will likely have a lot of after purchase money going into deferred ain't ie brake lines, calipers, fluid changes, tires, etc.
If it checks all the boxes for you then it is worth what you pay for it.
Maybe split the difference at $6500.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have not been able to find anywhere that I can get new seat covers for my '87 burb. Also, since my truck is front-only AC, I can't find a rear headliner for it anywhere, seems they only make them for rear AC trucks

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Up in the rust belt, I’d gladly spend that money if it truly meant no body work needed. Paint I don’t care. That’ll polish up nice with natural weathering of 36 years. Interior needs to be decent though. And rear a/c needs to be at least complete. Can’t get any parts for rear a/c except the blower motor and expansion valve. Rest needs to be custom fabb’d. It would have to have the third row as well for me.

Down there where it should be a given that it’s rust free, I think that price is steep a bit. Probably 5k is reasonable. You guys don’t know how good you have it with no rust and the sheer number of surviving square bodies.

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly