Hi guys :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No, you're good.. I was typing while you made the post.. I didn't see your post until after I made mine..

Ah, I've been fondling this cam for like five minutes in confused concern that there weren't more numbers xD

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Ah, I've been fondling this cam for like five minutes in confused concern that there weren't more numbers xD
Nothing on the other end?? Or maybe a logo of sorts on the shaft between lobes??

I'm an old retired automobile mechanic.. Been retired for years and my "contact" with vehicles and their engines has been limited the past few years.. There are guys on here that are way better with BBCs than I am.. It won't be long they'll be all over those numbers..

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nothing on the other end?? Or maybe a logo of sorts on the shaft between lobes??

I'm an old retired automobile mechanic.. Been retired for years and my "contact" with vehicles and their engines has been limited the past few years.. There are guys on here that are way better with BBCs than I am.. It won't be long they'll be all over those numbers..

May have found something, give me a couple minutes see if i can clean it up and read it

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay, so my best shot at reading these. HAven't picked up anything to soak my junk in yet so this was all I could do with a brush.

K11
CWC
D 2
C 2

These were all in between lobes, and look like cast not stamped. There area couple others, possibly a brand stamp as well but the buildup makes it impossible to tell. As for stamped, no others were found.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Okay, so my best shot at reading these. HAven't picked up anything to soak my junk in yet so this was all I could do with a brush.

K11
CWC
D 2
C 2

These were all in between lobes, and look like cast not stamped. There area couple others, possibly a brand stamp as well but the buildup makes it impossible to tell. As for stamped, no others were found.
''CWC" is a clue.. {memory, don't fail me now..lol} That's the logo of a camshaft manufacturer (can't remember the actual name).. This company usually sold cam blanks to regrinders. IIRC, years ago, Reed Camshafts used CWC blanks for their cams...

Just a WAG but S775 could the I.D.# of the actual grind, and the other number is the part number used by the regrinder.. Or vice virsa..

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
''CWC" is a clue.. {memory, don't fail me now..lol} That's the logo of a camshaft manufacturer (can't remember the actual name).. This company usually sold cam blanks to regrinders. IIRC, years ago, Reed Camshafts used CWC blanks for their cams...

Just a WAG but S775 could the I.D.# of the actual grind, and the other number is the part number used by the regrinder.. Or vice virsa..

I googled CS669 camshaft. Came up as Sealed Power Camshaft part# CS-669.

Link: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...sal-18916/sealed-power-camshaft/cs669/4731667

Oddly enough when I plugged in my engine for ***** n giggles, it actually didn't say it was compatible, so Idk? Maybe someone can look at the specs and tell me? Still dont know what the s775 is tho....

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For simple ease, here's listed spec on the Sealed Power CS-669 Camshaft

• Cam Type: Hydraulic
  • Exhaust Valve Lift With OE Rocker Arm Ratio (In): 0 Inch
  • Exhaust Duration At 0.050 Inch Lift (Deg): 193 Degree
  • Exhaust Duration (Deg): 193 Degree
  • Exhaust Lift (In): 0.2350 Inch
  • Exhaust Lift (mm): 5.969mm
  • Exhaust Lobe Center Angle (Deg): 107 Degree
  • Exhaust Lobe Lift With OE Rocker Arm Ratio (In): 0.235 Inch
  • Exhaust Lobe Lift With OE Rocker Arm Ratio (mm): 5.969mm
  • Exhaust Valve Lash (In): 0 Inch
  • Exhaust Valve Lash (mm): 0mm
  • Exhaust Valve Lift With OE Rocker Arm Ratio (mm): 0mm
  • Intake Valve Lift With OE Rocker Arm Ratio (In): 0 Inch
  • Intake Duration (Deg): 193 Degree
  • Intake Duration At 0.050 Inch Lift (Deg): 193 Degree
  • Intake Lift (In): 0.2350 Inch
  • Intake Lift (mm): 5.969mm
  • Intake Lobe Center (Deg): 99 Degree
  • Intake Valve Lash (In): 0 Inch
  • Intake Valve Lash (mm): 0mm
  • Intake Valve Lift With OE Rocker Arm Ratio (mm): 0mm
  • Lobe Separation Angle (Deg): 103 Degree
  • Overlap (Deg): 0 Degree
So if someone has stock cam specs and can compare, that'd be dope :)

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Sealed Power could very well be using CWC blanks.

IF that's your cam, just looking at the specs, it has very little in the way of duration (193*), and the same for the lift (.399).. I suspect that cam is for one of the low HP, smog equipped 396s.. A 454 doesn't even start "talking" at those numbers.. At the standard ".050" lift, these big engines like duration starting around 225* and lifts approaching .500

One of our resident BBC experts is @Honkey Kong jr I tagged him but it may be later before he actually chimes in here.. He works shift work and may not be available just yet..

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

IF that's your cam, just looking at the specs, it has very little in the way of duration (193*), and the same for the lift (.399).. I suspect that cam is for one of the low HP, smog equipped 396s.. A 454 doesn't even start "talking" at those numbers.. At the standard ".050" lift, these big engines like duration starting around 225* and lifts approaching .500

One of our resident BBC experts is @Honkey Kong jr I tagged him but it may be later before he actually chimes in here.. He works shift work and may not be available just yet..

The guys who last had this rig running said it couldn't go more than 50-60mph without sound like it was gonna blow up. Just doing simple math on their drivetrain (sm465 with 1.00:1 final gear, 4.11 rear gear, and 29" tires) it didn't make sense. I wonder if this cam was why. I'm still not sold this is really what it is, but now I'm afraid it might be.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
All the clues "match".. CWC is a cam blank manufacturer.. Sealed Power is a regrinder. One of their part numbers matches what's stamped on the cam.. I'm about 85% sure that's what you have.. If you know how to use a degree wheel, you can partially assemble the engine and calculate/measure the exact profile of the cam..

As alluded to earlier in this thread, 4.11 gears will make an engine scream at highway speeds.. My off topic daily driver is geared for towing, has a 4.10 rear end and an automatic w/overdrive.. At 65 mph it's turning a little over 2500 rpms. With a 454 and without an over drive transmission, I would never run that gear on the highway..

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All the clues "match".. CWC is a cam blank manufacturer.. Sealed Power is a regrinder. One of their part numbers matches what's stamped on the cam.. I'm about 85% sure that's what you have.. If you know how to use a degree wheel, you can partially assemble the engine and calculate/measure the exact profile of the cam..

As alluded to earlier in this thread, 4.11 gears will make an engine scream at highway speeds.. My off topic daily driver is geared for towing, has a 4.10 rear end and an automatic w/overdrive.. At 65 mph it's turning a little over 2500 rpms. With a 454 and without an over drive transmission, I would never run that gear on the highway..

Yeah I think it is the cam, just makes sense. What doesn't is why they would put this cam in the damn thing. I even panicked and scrambled out the the shed to double check my engine code, which is a 454. So its just....dumb to do that. As for the highway thing, 2500 is perfect cruising speed which with their gear would've put them right around 50 mph. So one of two things occurs to me. Either they were just scared of the sound for no reason, or this cam neutered the motor to such a point it couldn't go faster. Maybe both. Apparently the exhaust was similar to swiss cheese, so that was probably part of making it so loud. Also the straight piped it I think as I never saw any mufflers on the chunks that were cut out.

But really, just why this cam T.T

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

An expert I am not. But that ORieleys add says rocker arm ratio “0”? BBC is 1.7 so idk lol mine is 248 @.050 intake and 254 @ .050 exhaust, which is 300,306 advertised duration and .560 intake and .580 exhaust lift in a hydraulic roller 3500-6200 rpm power range

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
An expert I am not. But that ORieleys add says rocker arm ratio “0”? BBC is 1.7 so idk lol mine is 248 @.050 intake and 254 @ .050 exhaust, which is 300,306 advertised duration and .560 intake and .580 exhaust lift in a hydraulic roller 3500-6200 rpm power range

Perhaps that listing is just bunk? I mean it says it's not compatible with anything so idk either lol. I just searched Sealed Power CS-669 and picked that listing for it

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Oreillys has some weird wording in their "spec sheets"

My point exactly.. BBCs like lots of lift and duration, but not much in the way or rpms.. Put Honkey's cam profile in a SBC and you'd have to add extensions to the graph paper to plot HP/rpm ranges..

I've seen some race prepped BBC with lift at the valves of over .700, but shift points around 6200--6500.. But sustained rpm certainly nowhere near that..

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I think before I'd toss it, I'd "degree wheel" it.. As with any engine build, the cam is just a small part of the puzzle.. All the pieces have to fit (work) together.. Decide what you want the engine to do and then make calculated decisions on the various components..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe