Hi guys :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Never actually done a cam swap, but I know the basics (Types of cams, the way they work, what changing them does). I could probably even find on that would work, however experience beats out guesswork every time. So, what cam might you recommend? Mostly stock motor, and I'm looking for something fun yet also usable on a daily basis. Truck will mostly be in town and offroad, doing work and playing, but may see occasional highway use and towing. A kit that had the cam, necessary springs, rods, rockers and lifters would be perfect. I'm also not rich. Far from.

I know thats probably a ridiculous set of criteria, and you really have no obligation to attempt to help the fool that is me, but any input is welcome :)
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=CL11-420-8&Category_Code=
You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh, I've seen some of those beasts also.. Built totally from aftermarket parts.. HP above 1,000 - 1,200 (well above) with torque that equals those numbers.. Except for the stout hearted, not for daily street use.. And the cost --- I don't even want to go there.. :eek::mfr_omg:
Pretty much. Lol he does a few ProMod engines here and there.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I can't read any of this.. Contrast and shading is all wrong for these old eyes of mine..:(
It’s pretty close to the Lunati one you posted. But in a retrofit roller.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
It’s pretty close to the Lunati one you posted. But in a retrofit roller.
Ok, I went to the comp cams site and found it.. Block doesn't require machining for the roller lifters?? Says requires machining spring seats for larger springs.. I didn't actually check, just went by the lift specs. The Lunati may require the same machining..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok, I went to the comp cams site and found it.. Block doesn't require machining for the roller lifters?? Says requires machining spring seats for larger springs.. I didn't actually check, just went by the lift specs. The Lunati may require the same machining..
No on the machining for the lifters. The lifters have a cross bar to keep them from spinning. I got my set up lightly used. Cheap. Cam, lifters, 7/16 chromoly push rods, billet timing set and valve springs. 250 ..... I don’t really like taking advantage of people’s bad situations but all that stuff for less then the price of the cam and he dropped it from 300 on his own....I didn’t have to machine the spring seats. But my heads are old 96ers so who knows.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
No on the machining for the lifters. The lifters have a cross bar to keep them from spinning. I got my set up lightly used. Cheap. Cam, lifters, 7/16 chromoly push rods, billet timing set and valve springs. 250 ..... I don’t really like taking advantage of people’s bad situations but all that stuff for less then the price of the cam and he dropped it from 300 on his own....I didn’t have to machine the spring seats. But my heads are old 96ers so who knows.
A roller setup is nice and relatively trouble free. Cam profiles are limitless too. But DAMN!!!! The cost is all but prohibitive for most!!!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
A roller setup is nice and relatively trouble free. Cam profiles are limitless too. But DAMN!!!! The cost is all but prohibitive for most!!!
Cheaper then rebuilding your rebuilt engine if you don’t break in the new flat tappet cam properly. That’s my rationale anyway.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Cheaper then rebuilding your rebuilt engine if you don’t break in the new flat tappet cam properly. That’s my rationale anyway.
I agree 100%, as I stated previously.. But Mr. R wants to build on a tight budget, so my first choices to him were those 2 flat tappet designs.. I also warned him of the break-in hazard..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I agree 100%, as I stated previously.. But Mr. R wants to build on a tight budget, so my first choices to him were those 2 flat tappet designs.. I also warned him of the break-in hazard..
Gotchya

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Again we have certain members here recommending retro roller cams for a daily driver.
I will not agree...

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
True dat. I honestly almost ended up with an f250 that had 460 with a blown head gasket. Truthfully it was about the same price, and a lot less work. And I mean while I don't have any true brand loyalty, I do like the ford I have. But I dunno, this just fell together and seemed like more fun. I'd rather do a 460 shop truck someday anyways.
Maybe less work to get the ferd running but... not to keep it running.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
If you have a source for auto propane close by you might want to consider.
Then you can build your engine with a shitload of compression and actually get some efficiency happening.
And when the tree huggers smell your 'pane they will approve... of your 450 hp tire roasting hippy squashing rig.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
What is the casting number on the heads? I see they are oval ports... that's a good thing.
They have to be closely inspected for cracks. Look deep into the bowls where the valve guides are. Easy to miss.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Maybe less work to get the ferd running but... not to keep it running.
Never heard it put exactly like that... But you, sir, are absolutely correct...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54