Hi guys :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi all, new to site (duh). And actually new to Chevy period. Up until now I've only owned various card, none of note, and my near and dear 83 ranger. But as time has passed I've had a growing need for a work truck that I can pretty much abuse without worry (I have plans to somewhat restore my ranger as it is truly important to me). And man I am PUMPED, I've always wanted to mess around with a Chevy as I know they can be a blast. So, here what I got.

1984 Chevy k10, Scottsdale trim. It has an unidentified 4 speed, either a 305 or a 350, single cab and idk if there were various beds but it's just a standard bed, no stepside. 8 picked it up for 465 big ones as the motor is toast. Oh, and it has dual tanks which for will be a bonus ( you'll see why ).

Now here's where I'm a lucky bastard as I really had no idea really what else I'd end up with. Truthfully all I knew about was the motor. The rest was just pure good fortune. What's that you ask? Oh, a parts vehicle to rob things. Free of charge. What vehicle you ask? Oh nothing special, just a 77 suburban. With 3/4 ton axles with 4.11s in the rear. Sm465 tranny. Np205 transfer case. And the cherry on top, a good old fashioned 454 big block. Some research told me the tranny/transfer case are basically bullet proof and the tranny first gear resolves the kinda meh torque reduction in low range. And with the 1.00:1 4th gear means it'll be just fine to keep up with Montana's 80mph highway speed limit. Lot of work ahead, the 454 needs a rebuild, an intake and a carb. Im thinking midrise with a 750 cfm quadrajet. A friend who works with che y motors exclusively identified the crank as aftermarket (what and why???) and possibly the cam as well. I plan to use this pig for work and somewhat daily driver so I'm keeping it practical, adaptable, and tough as a ****. I also hope to throw a plow on it during wintertime. Other plans include custom homemade bumpers/hitch. Frankenstined dual exhaust (kinda wanna straightpipe, kinda also like my hearing). Hopefully some 31 inch tires as while I like offroading Im not really a fan of huge tires and honestly they're not necessary for anywhere I like to go. They also suck in the snow.

Overall I had no idea what I had until I started looking it up. But Im stoked, and other people have already threatened to beat just for how stpuidly lucky I was to get all of this for less than 500 bucks. Oh yeah, this things gonna be fun >:D

Let me know what you guys think. Did I do good?

Also sorry for typos, on phone as internet is out due to recent snow storms.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
take some pictures...sounds like a good score!

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
take some pictures...sounds like a good score!

Will do once it's day out again. Truthfully she's pretty clean. Nothing but surface rust in spot, a dinged fender, hood has a dent on the very tip where the hinge is (Someone didn't know the chevy tap methinks), and a dent on the top of the cab, looks like something smacked the edge. But as it's a work truck/toy, none of that bothers me. Got some rattle cans of primer and sealer and thats all i intend to do as far as paint. Dents maybe someday, but i do need to fix the grill and find a new headlight bezel so it'll be protected properly.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Welcome! Nice to see someone else from MT (although I have a sneaking suspicion you are on the east side). Sound like you have a lot of work ahead of you- but I think you got a good deal and will have one hell of a work/play truck when it is done. Post pics of your progress.

Last edited:

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome! Nice to see someone else from MT (although I have a sneaking suspicion you are on the east side). Sound like you have a lot of work ahead of you- but I think you got a good deal and will have one hell of a work/play truck when it is done. Post pics of your progress.

Helena native here my man :)

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome!
Lots of good parts and quite the project there.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome!
Lots of good parts and quite the project there.

Thanks! Yeah it is. Truthfully this is by far the most extensive job I've done, and some of this i've never done. Definitely apprehensive that lol. I'm not even wealthy, hell I'm so broke I go to bed for dinner sometimes. So I have an interest it getting it done and doing it right (IE making it mechanically sound). All things considered, I'm hoping to have it running and driving withing a month, keeping everything as stock as possible because, well I'm broke.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome aboard, sounds like a fun project..

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Soooo...about your screen name, Some kind of computer thing or a Japanese vessel?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Soooo...about your screen name, Some kind of computer thing or a Japanese vessel?

Gamertag from eons ago, kinda of means dragon samurai, kind of doesn't at all. 14 year old me thought it was cool. That said, no, not really an anime fan. And it was way before I ever learned how Japanese ships were named. Truthfully I'm just a dork :p

Welcome aboard, sounds like a fun project..

Thanks! Happy to join. Hopefully I'll get some pics up today

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.
You might want to rethink going 80 for very long with a 1 to 1 high gear, 4.11s, and 31" tires.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.
You might want to rethink going 80 for very long with a 1 to 1 high gear, 4.11s, and 31" tires.

Reason? Just mileage or wear and tear?

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, going by the tried and true method of using a calculator, also know as the lost art of bench racing, roughly 3700 rpm would be 80mph with those parameters. Granted, thats in a perfect world with no grade, wind, driveline loss, or any other such thing. So precision cannot be expected, but a ballpark answer will suffice. All information I've found has the 454 able to do 6k, 6.5 with a different crank (which I may or may not have, honestly no idea lol). So perhaps no the best mileage, but doable regardless. I should mention this motor is already apart, and is getting a nice fresh rebuild. Not even a ridge in any of the cylinders. So, it should be okay? Maybe? Oh god pls let it work xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL