Hi guys :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I also appreciate your comment(s) and I'm not even slightly trying to be smart ass.
And I don't assume YOU personally would do roller for fear of wiping a lobe. I have no assumptions of you but I do appreciate any and all of your comments on this forum.
Not taking a poke at you or anyone here... well except for those who write gibberish like this ( n gcwercfncegkhfaec).
And there was that guy with the console...
I have enough hot rod friends and a few rock crawler guys as well as my machinist who is a good friend and we hear this all the time around here, and I hear it online too. There is a lot of talk about going roller for fear of flat tappet wiping off lobes.
And many responses around "go roller and never wipe off a lobe"... which I'm pretty sure you would agree that's not really a good reason to go roller.
I'm speaking in general terms because generally, I hear and see the same stories. I don't know or will ever know everything but I honestly try to give advice where I think I can help. And I'm drawing from personal or well know/good friends experience.

And also know about another guy who ran solid rollers on the street and he swear by them... and eventually at them. This was recent like last November... and really he's a hellova engine builder and specializes with BBC.

My machinist bud brought up the issues he's seen with the cam button but I can't be sure enough to go into detail what happened.
I do remember he ultimately suggested a timing cover designed for cam button.
Anyway I forgot to mention the extra cost of the timing chain set for rollers.

To clarify my point, I'm talking about daily drivers and to me that means I have the expectation to run at the very least 150K miles on a daily driver without opening anything up. I want long term reliability.
I'm sure there are retro rollers out there with many many miles trouble free... my problem is I don't know anyone who can verify this.
But I certainly do know and know of guys with big drama in their roller street driven rigs.

Again thanks for you comments.
And that's all cool. Yeah, I really didn't understand why you guys kept talking about flat cam problems. I've had a few times where I had to shut them down during break in, and did just like you guys were saying-fire it up,so its back over 2k fast. Here's a good question that works both ways- how many MORONS out there have 1. Blown a roller lifter or valve train <OR> 2. wiped out a brand new cam---->due to their own stupidity (which could be a TON of things).... Lol. Then they do the old "well that stuff is junk". A bad reputation follows, and yet it was caused by the moron to begin with....

Crap. I .need go handle something will finish this in a bit....
:happy160:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Mostly Because I have the 454, and I have most of what I need. I know it's gonna get spendy, trust me been keeping track. But Considering the motor, axles, tranny, t-case, and almost everything else I may need was essentially given to me, why go with another motor? And I mean, 454 :p

People often get so caught up in what could be better, chasing the best they can, that they often forget the best thing about cars and trucks. You can do whatever you want, and that's all I'm doing here. I'm not concerned with what could be done differently, or what other motors could be better. I'm just having fun. If I'm being honest there were plenty of other trucks out there to satisfy my needs/wants. Fords with that beautiful straight six or better yet a couple with 460s. Dodges with the glorious 5.9 or the tried and true 318. And Chevies for days with perfectly working 350s. Hell, there was even a t100 that honestly would've sufficed. But I chose this, because I wanted to. And so I'll put a ridiculous engine in it, because I want to. I'll go through what most would say is more effort than is necessary, because I want to. And I may do things that make little to no sense, just because god dammit I want to.

That said, I really am grateful for all the help/advice I've been given. It'll be fun to see how it plays out. I have faith that at the end of it all, regardless of what others think, I'll be happy. And really I thinks thats all that matters, and what more people should be focusing on. Horsepower, torque, mileage, displacement, money spent. Those are all secondary concerns to what should actually matter. Build something that makes you happy. Hell, my other truck is an 83 ford ranger with a 2.8 v6 in it. Probably less that 100hp by now, small in size. But I love, it makes me happy. Hell, it's my most valued possession. Because every time I get in it I just smile.

I like your attitude. You haven't offended me in any way.. I just hope I haven't offended you... In mentioned the 383, I was in no way criticizing your choice or method.. Just offering another choice that might be more economical..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Look at this love fest I’m going to the sirpopsalot thread. Lol did I do it right this time @RustyPile ?

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
10.90 for one of those tanks is pretty impressive. I don't get how he was allowed to have a passenger with him. Not allowed here. Must have been somewhere back east like PA or something....

I've been out in the shop since around 3 pm and haven't had a chance to read and analyze each post during that time.. Someone may have already made note of the following.. The track the truck ran on is Santa Pod which is in England, or to be more PC - The UK.. Their safety rules and requirements aren't exactly like ours on this side of the pond.. If I'm not mistaken, Daryll (sp??) Gwinn, a Top Fuel owner/driver from the '80s crashed while making a demo pass at that track and severed his spinal cord..

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I like your attitude. You haven't offended me in any way.. I just hope I haven't offended you... In mentioned the 383, I was in no way criticizing your choice or method.. Just offering another choice that might be more economical..
Look at this love fest I’m going to the sirpopsalot thread. Lol did I do it right this time @RustyPile ?

Love ****? Love ****.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Apparantly mm4 is the code for a Muncie 4-speed, so my truck in theory also has an sm465. Now, from what i gather the sm465 in the earlier years has a weaker 10 spline shaft, whereas the later models were beefed up to a longer, heavier 32 spline shaft. Any way to make that work with the old style np205? Idk even what t-case i have, but i doubt it's as rugged as the np205 is rumored to be. But I've also read rumors of a unicorn sm465/np205 that both have 32 spline shafts but it's not confirmed to exist to my knowledge. Huh, that'd be special wouldn't it lol

Also, pics of engine/parts for proof. And yes, this is so not how to store/disassemble things but this is how i received them :/

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

The sm465 got the 32 spline output in '85. They also changed to the newer round adapter to mate to the t-case at the same time. From my understanding, there's no measurable difference in strength betwen the 10 and 32 spline. As it was explained to me, the 10 spline versions can have problems with more spline wear if they've been heavily abused. There's nothing unicorn like about the 32 spline input 205. They're just more expensive, because the production run didn't go as long as the old style. They tend to get snatched up by the offroad community too, because the round pattern adapter is more universal. I have one that's going to wind up behind my a833 trans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1